Help trying to get XP running again

Downloading a copy.

You'll need to burn it to a disc properly though - how are you doing that? Where are you downloading it from and in what format?

With these LiveCD's you can't just download and burn to disc you see.

Downloading a copy.

You'll need to burn it to a disc properly though - how are you doing that? Where are you downloading it from and in what format?

With these LiveCD's you can't just download and burn to disc you see.

I was hoping to just download it, and burn it to cd. But it doesn't seem that simple (is anything with computers when they stop working?:rolleyes::hihi:)

It downloaded as a zip file, I extracted it, and now just have a folder with about 15 files and stuff in it. Not quite sure what to copy to CD.

Despite my absolute thanks for all the help I'm getting from all of you, this is really getting on my tits now :hihi:

But does your computer boot from disc or floppy, or neither? You have to go into your BIOS setting to make sure. This guide will tell you how to do that: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/i386/pre-install-bios-setup.html. However the wealth of ways to invoke your BIOS screen is huge, so simply restart your computer and carry on pressing "DEL" key. It should take you to your BIOS where you can enable boot from disc. In this guide, once you have your BIOS invoked you want to follow the section "changing the boot order on IDE drives" under "boot device seletion."

Once you've done this, save settings and exit (usually F10, and btw you can only use arrow keys, entre button, and escape in BIOS), pop in the LiveCD and hopefully it will boot into Ubuntu from the disc.

It will look awful to begin with but your concern is to get those files from your HD so don't worry about that. However if you do feel like switching over to Ubuntu at any point, don't judge it by the aesthetics of the LiveCD as there is a lot of configuring to do before it looks nice.

Thanks for the help BH, I can't see what to do.

I've downloaded that ubun thing onto this computer, then burned the file to CD, but it doesn't start anything on my other computer. :(

When you insert the disc into the drive on your working computer does it acknowledge the disc as "Ubuntu"?

When you insert the disc into the drive on your working computer does it acknowledge the disc as "Ubuntu"?

No. But I think I made a mistake, I copied the 'folder' onto CD. I think I need to do the files individually as per that site says. (i.e open the folder first)

It was just about finished copying when I had a power cut :rolleyes::hihi:(the whole block), only just back on, so I'll try again. :)

FFS another power cut, only a few seconds this time though!!! :rant:

I've only got a few blanks cds left so I'll do it tomorrow. :hihi:

Have you not got that bummin' thing fixed yet? Crikey, get yer finger out Ash and ring someone to do it for you!!! ;):D

When trying to start my computer. It goes to the XP startup screen, and the loading bar, just stays loading.. nothing happens though. Nothing starts up.

I do know how to get to the computer setup page, and I've found the cds I got when I bought the computer.

The system is a Dell C521 2.8ghz proc.

OS is XP.

The cds I have are

"Operating System"-already installed on your computer - reinstallation cd - This cd is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers.

and

Drivers and utilities. Already installed on your computer - DVD for reinstalling Dell Dimension and Dell XPS computer software - This software is already installed on your computer. Use this media only to reinstall the Software.

I don't want to lose the stuff on my Hard Drive..

any ideas would be fantastic. :)

I've got the same machine.

I had a "blue screen of death" and repaired windows by following the instructions in this article;

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=21HDBXJ2RJE1QQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=189500364&_requestid=267102

You'll need your operating system CD.

I've got the same machine.

I had a "blue screen of death" and repaired windows by following the instructions in this article;

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=21HDBXJ2RJE1QQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=189500364&_requestid=267102

You'll need your operating system CD.

I've already told him to do that, and it didn't work.

Suggesting a Linux LiveCD to transfer as many files as possible to an external HD is excellent advice, Melthebell. However, perhaps you might want to download Ubuntu 8.10 instead, Ash?

I'm taking an informed guess that you haven't used Linux before so it might be easier for you to use a more user friendly and popular version of Linux.

You can check out which "flavour" of Linux would be right for you at

PolishLinux.org.

I'd recommend either Ubuntu or Kubuntu, but the choice is yours.

I recently got my friend to switch to Linux after their computer encountered similar circumstances, and he's almost wrote off Microsoft now. I understand that at this point you might not wish to do the same, but why not think about exploring another operating system which is free, and less resource hungry (you can run Linux on literally any sh*te PC and it'll be smooth). Plus you'll learn much more about computers too, which is obviously beneficial....

funnily enough, i hated ubuntu when i tried it, not that much choice on it.

its cos ive been trying to use linux for about 5 years but i cant.....i find it too complicated, too tiresome and unfun.

however i have been fiddling with knoppix for years and like it cos it has that much software installed......virtually everything youll ever need.

ubuntu on the otherhand had far less choice.......so for a novice like me i couldnt do much cos things i wanted wernt there.