Prison life what is it like?

Firecracker, I don't like you very much.

Tough then. You'd better get used to it. Of course, it is me you're having a go at and not criminals. It says plenty about you.

What does it say? The criminal is NOT the person who posted. Have you never done anything illegal in your life?

thing is no one knows why hes there there is circumstances !! which none of us know x .......sweetheart keep your chin up love i feel for you x

i do know of somone ..a friend of a friend who has been there and he got through it .. i wont lie and say it will be a bed of roses because at the end of the day it is a punishment but it will all work out in the end ... he sorted himself out and is a totaly difrent person now .. hope you are ok

Sorry sweet heart, but I cant offer practicle advise either, but did want to counteract some of the negativity posted by the thoughtless holier than thou group, and wish you all the best for a speedy 2009

my husband has just gone to doncaster prison he got 2 yrs 8 months but could be out by next christmas.

my questions are is it true he will probs be moved from donnie because it is only a holding prison?

what is life in donnie prison like

and what id do i need to visit is it an absolute must that i take photo id only i dont have any i have medical card and solicitors letter will that be ok

can anyone help me

It's going to be a tough year for you, but hopefully it will pass quickly. Doncaster is a dump, so I doubt the prison will be very nice, but I wouldn't worry about what it's like inside because there's nothing you can do about it, and you will make yourself even more upset. I hope his time is constructive, and he comes out a better person for it. How he copes, and how he will be motivated, depends a lot on you.

You may have had nothing to do with his crime, but his sentence is clearly a punishment for you as well, so don't be surprised if you feel anger towards him, for a while at least. I take it he did do something to deserve this?

I used to be a prison visitor when i lived in Wakefield,

When you go to visit him , he has to send you a visiting order, there is certain proof you need to have to be able to visit.

He has been sentenced to 2 years 8months but maybe he will be get early release.

He could be moved to an open prison depending on what he has done and how they acess him.

Good luck to you

When i used to visit some of the prisoners in Wakefield and New Hall , they always say its harder for those who are on the outside to be separated from their loved ones.

This link may help you http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/adviceandsupport/keepingintouch/visitorsguide/

What does it say? The criminal is NOT the person who posted. Have you never done anything illegal in your life?

He's in prison for over two years, but could be out this time next year. How much do you think it costs to keep each prisoner locked up for one year? Far more than what the vast majority of us earn in a year. Each prisoner is a massive drain on resources and a deflection of money that could have been better spent elsewhere, not to mention the heartache caused to the victims of their crimes. But then again, criminals are too damned insensitive to think about that, because their criminal minds won't allow them.

He's in prison for over two years, but could be out this time next year. How much do you think it costs to keep each prisoner locked up for one year? Far more than what the vast majority of us earn in a year. Each prisoner is a massive drain on resources and a deflection of money that could have been better spent elsewhere, not to mention the heartache caused to the victims of their crimes. But then again, criminals are too damned insensitive to think about that.

Got anything to subtantiate that claim?

To answer Firecracker's question, it costs about 27 k per annum to hold an adult prisoner in custody - This rises to about 29k for a young offender.

To the OP. I would imagine that now your OH has been sentenced he'll get transferred from Marshgate to another nick .... Where he goes is dependent upon his category of risk. When he gets transferred you should be able to book a reception visit within 7 days after he lands after that he'll need to send out a VO for weekend visits.

As he's been sentenced to less than 4 years he should (dependent upon offence) be eligible for HDC or tag within that 16 months.

My advice is to go to the HMP website who have a section specifically for visitors and family of convicted prisoners.

Got anything to subtantiate that claim?

Here's a line from an article in the Spectator dated 27th July 2002:

It now costs about £20,000 a year to keep a prisoner in a British jail.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3724/is_/ai_n9115674

So, almost seven years on, what will that figure be now? A good £30,000 a year I would say. And more for dangerous and violent inmates. And the suggestions in that article would curdle the blood of every bleeding-heart liberal.