More grim news at Gilders!

Gilders Group staff are having to take a 20% pay cut and less hours. (Seen it on BBC Look North). No wonder they were wanting to change extras on my golf when i took it in last month!

At least they would still have a job. If my employer could be saved from going under by me and the whole work force taking a paycut for a while i wouldnt think twice. I feel for those looking for a new job at the min must be soul destroying.

no doubt the staff are paying the price of the unfortunate management decision to expand big time at precisely the wrong time.

:(

The owner has not had the same misfortune as the rest of the staff though but has decided to put his own payrise on hold and review it in August. I really feel for him the poor little lamb.

The owner has not had the same misfortune as the rest of the staff though but has decided to put his own payrise on hold and review it in August. I really feel for him the poor little lamb.

Perhaps it's because people have started going to Lambs?

they made the decision to move at least 2 years ago - and yes the owner has put a great deal of his own money into the business to expand and improve it. He was RISKING his own money in order to try to make more money: so providing employment and wealth to Sheffield. No one could have predicted this awful situation at the moment.

I would have thought that buying the land at Meadowhead which was a former school which had planning permission revised several times - at one time it was going to be a hotel and shops and selling three other bits of land is probably a shrewd move. I would have thought the land at bannercross which I think a supermarket bought is a good thing for everybody. Its just a shame that they sell expensive cars. I hope they whether the storm.

I went to guilders in Hillsborough to buy a car, and the only cars they were selling were VW's, hardly a choice :rolleyes:

Perhaps they should try to sell other brands of car

they made the decision to move at least 2 years ago - and yes the owner has put a great deal of his own money into the business to expand and improve it. He was RISKING his own money in order to try to make more money: so providing employment and wealth to Sheffield. No one could have predicted this awful situation at the moment.

I don't want to appear the smartypants, but as soon as the Gilders expansion plans were known I said to the wife that it spells trouble for them ... and yes there have been many of us predicting this downturn for 2-4 years. I have managed to convice the owners of our business to resist the temptation to expand, and it has probably saved us ... for now.

it is often said that it is the third generation owners of companies that manage to sink them. it is often assumed that this is because of incompetence, but more often than not it is due to cocky over-expansion.

the main issues for me as a customer in the last few years is that I have seen them lose the niche they held as a local medium sized quality dealer, in attempt to just become big. always risky.

okay I accept that he was risking money to try and make a return, but was it really his money? where did the money come from to buy the company from Peter Gilder? is it all borrowed money?

I went to guilders in Hillsborough to buy a car, and the only cars they were selling were VW's, hardly a choice :rolleyes:

Perhaps they should try to sell other brands of car

what brand of car were you looking for? - because if it was a ford, I think you went to the wrong garage!