Sign in to follow this  

Grindleford millstones

Hi - Someonw showed me a photo of a load of mill stones piled up which I thought was near Grindleford - can anyone give me directions on how to find them?

Cheers

They're near Grindleford, you can't miss them as they're piled up like a pile of old mill stones. :lol:

Take the A625 out of Sheffield towards Hathersage - via Fox House and Toads Mouth.

On the long straight road after Toads Mouth park up in the car park on your right.

Cross over the road and walk down to the river and follow the river into the valley. There are dozens dotted all around and piled up in various places.

You can also park on the B6521 that goes to Nether Padley and Grindleford. That road starts at Fox House.

Better location - Toads Mouth car park - at the rear of it is a footpath leading up through the trees - follow it for about 5 mins, heading to the left there's a quarry mouth - there are loads in there! I have pics but you can't post attachments and I haven't got any webspace free to stick them in.

The whole area is covered with them....

My daughter thought they were wheels for cavemen's cars?

Logical thought for a kid :)

M.

*shocked*

You mean they're NOT wheels from cavemens cars Internetowl !???

Jamie

These stones were abandoned, when the first patent grindstones arrived from america in the 1920s. as the new ones did not give off the dust that killed my Father at thirty eight years of age, when he had his own workshop in Endcliffe woods.