Punk gigs at the Marples

tell froggy we'll have to meet up for a pint in the frog n parrot or someat next time im down sheff (not very often tho i must admit :( )

would be good to see mixmiff and pat again too

Thanx for that but really wanted to find people i knew from before then ( oh i'm so old ).

Any old punk girls out there who used to go Rebels etc what you doin now .Now my kids are nearly grown up i've started going out a bit .Can not do the make up any more like i used to too many wrinkels ( dont you even say anything Beardy).

I think that you know my husband Garvey .

aaaaaaaaaah now i know how you know beardy........i used to know garvey abit too.not as much granted

tell froggy we'll have to meet up for a pint in the frog n parrot or someat next time im down sheff (not very often tho i must admit :( )

would be good to see mixmiff and pat again too

Just PM me the next time your around and i will arrange it.

Do you know beardy? Or are you older like us two? Do you remember Dinwalls beer Keller they also had some good bands on there. Can you remember the names of any of the old punks and are you still in contact with any .I would love to contact some of my old mates we did have some fun. We've seen big John a few times did you know him and his Slaughter and the dogs scarf !!!!

You knew Big John ?!! I must know you by sight then,I used to knock around with John a lot,I remember the police constantly telling him to remove his bullet belt!

I was a Sheffield punk from about 1979 til coming to Germany in 1984.I used to follow the Stranglers all over the country,we even went on the French tour in 1983.

In the early 80's I used to go to the saturday night disco down the polytechnic with my then punkette girlfriend Ruth,(she is now a lab technician or some such thing in York),and a load of other punks including Big John.

Also to Mona Lisa's,Rebels etc.

would you like to reminisce your old stories of back then in my book I am writing.If so please contact me at [email protected]

I will be in touch.

so does anybody know the actual time frame of when punk gigs started dying at the marples (and also other venues)?

my first gig was at the hallamshire hotel, 24th april 1986

toxic toys, systematic annex, dead meat

then after that it was a conflict gig in rotherham, afterwards it seemed to be all bands like uk subs, conflict, chumbawamba (then grindier bands) all the bands like exploited, toy dolls, mau maus etc seemed to stop playing around there?

I remeber having a poster from when the exploited played at the marples when i was about 14 and they had stopped then but i think only just so id reckon about 83 84ish.

mY first gig was the subs at take two club supported by the bland another great venue lost.

I saw the exploited at the Marples.

My first ever punk gig was the Buzzcocks and Joy Division at the top rank in 1979 when I was 17.

I saw the subs at the rank a couple of times and at the limit,last saw them in Hildesheim in 1996 at the KuFa.

I remeber having a poster from when the exploited played at the marples when i was about 14 and they had stopped then but i think only just so id reckon about 83 84ish.

mY first gig was the subs at take two club supported by the bland another great venue lost.

i remember walking past the marples and seeing an old exploited poster stuck to the wall outside...mustve been one of the last.

might be this one beardy - 16th october 1987 - take 2 uk subs, the bland

my 8th gig :P

yeah that will be the one we ended up walking home cos we had no taxi money spent it all on beer think ive still got the tape of it somewhere.

I need memories of the marples punk gigs for my book I am writing. i havent got much at all yet so it coiuld end up being unrepresented which is a shame...Can u remember these ones Chelsea...angelic upstarts...vice squad..outcasts...anti-pasti...the wall...chron gen...uk subs etc..Please email me at [email protected]

The last gig at the Marples was The Toy Dolls, one of the skinheads wrapped a stool over someone's head and that was it, no more gigs. I remember going there a couple of times a week at one period. Infa Riot for some reason always use't to get a big crowd. After that I remember Marcus managing The Exploited and Mau Maus for a while but after one short tour, Lets Start A War, that was it. The last Mau Maus gig in Sheffield was the Infa Riot/Mau Maus gig at The Leadmill I think, closely followed by Chelsea/Meteors/Anti-Pasti which was the last thing Marcus put on.