Punk gigs at the Marples

got other stuff to do MR grappler, nearly 7000 posts wow, you need to get out more, and mr whitehorses I am one the old farts I'm always one of if not the oldest at most of the gigs I go too.

an average of 2 posts a day pal, mostly on the football thread, hardly like I am staying in, out most nights, go to lots of gigs, like to see up and coming bands, plus name bands. Play in a band myself, play guitar and bass, restore old guitars.

Interesting reading all these posts , left Sheff, in the early 80's , so some of the older (ahem )posters may remember seeing my name around town , suppose you could call me an early tagger, is that what they call spray artists now, any roads , thanks for the trip back in time .

BEEFFY & PUNK.

Was the vicars daughter from pits moor by chance .

good thread brings back some memories. I was singer/guitarist in the Media Attack group Dog Jones mentioned (in fact his stagename was my idea). Supported Vice Squad at the Marples, played Rebels and a few other places but the best gig we did was one at the Hallamshire on West Street. We were like Spinal Tap and changed drummers every five minutes, and at least one of them, a guy called Simon from Rotherham, came to an untimely end although it was not quite in the spontaneous human combustion category - he crashed his motorbike with a girl called Sirrah on the back in 1984 and both of them were killed. He was also not able to play one gig, because he had a job with the GPO and a telegraph pole fell on him. Being a Media Attack drummer was quite a dangerous thing to be.

at one time we had a proper professional drummer, a guy called Kenny Slade, who had worked with Joe Cocker. For that Hallamshire gig, which would have been in about autumn 1981, we'd agreed beforehand that Kenny was supposed to start with a big drum roll, good idea, but I forgot and just ploughed straight in with the riff to the first number. Kenny threw a fit, and quit the band right there. He just got off the stage cursing, went downstairs, and left the building. Luckily there was a previous member in the audience who knew the songs and was able to take over Dog's bass playing duties, with Dog taking over on drums to replace the drummer who had just quit. We all just changed round and got on with it. When the gig got a write up in one of the local fanzines it was called 'the most anarchic gig of the year'. Quite a compliment really.

was also at the Limit Rejects afternoon gig that was cancelled and then re-arranged, that was earlier. Summer 1980.

yes Longy died in 1994-5 although I was in South Africa at the time and didn't hear about it until I got back early in 1996.

Edited by solero

Every time I visit Sheffield i always stand at the marples and reflect on the days of innovation, fun, and music. What a place it was so many great people I knew and we were all apart of something that was fantastic but something we did not understand at the time but on reflection what a time in history of music.

Never forget some of the people Big John, Rat, Frosty, Dog and many more.

I remember we did a photo shoot for a student or journalist at a derelict church for what I can't remember but would love to see the pics.

I remember all the many bands and the wallpaper posters with sprayed information advertising the gigs dotted around town.

Such happy days loving this thread

just been reminiscing during my radio show and posting pics of mates that have gone, and posted the newspaper cutting of deano again, which got me googling and reading of this again

Solero (quote);-

We were like Spinal Tap and changed drummers every five minutes, and at least one of them, a guy called Simon from Rotherham, came to an untimely end although it was not quite in the spontaneous human combustion category - he crashed his motorbike with a girl called Sirrah on the back in 1984 and both of them were killed.

At one time we had a proper professional drummer, a guy called Kenny Slade, who had worked with Joe Cocker.

Hi Solero.

I believe the drummer may have been Simon Hart. I heard of his (and his pillion passengers) death years later, but never any details about the crash. He was a Sheffield lad probably living in Rotherham at the time!. R.I.P.

Kenny can still be found enjoying his retirement in the pubs/bars of Crookes & Hillsborough corner.

good thread brings back some memories. I was singer/guitarist in the Media Attack group Dog Jones mentioned (in fact his stagename was my idea). Supported Vice Squad at the Marples, played Rebels and a few other places but the best gig we did was one at the Hallamshire on West Street. We were like Spinal Tap and changed drummers every five minutes, and at least one of them, a guy called Simon from Rotherham, came to an untimely end although it was not quite in the spontaneous human combustion category - he crashed his motorbike with a girl called Sirrah on the back in 1984 and both of them were killed. He was also not able to play one gig, because he had a job with the GPO and a telegraph pole fell on him. Being a Media Attack drummer was quite a dangerous thing to be.

at one time we had a proper professional drummer, a guy called Kenny Slade, who had worked with Joe Cocker. For that Hallamshire gig, which would have been in about autumn 1981, we'd agreed beforehand that Kenny was supposed to start with a big drum roll, good idea, but I forgot and just ploughed straight in with the riff to the first number. Kenny threw a fit, and quit the band right there. He just got off the stage cursing, went downstairs, and left the building. Luckily there was a previous member in the audience who knew the songs and was able to take over Dog's bass playing duties, with Dog taking over on drums to replace the drummer who had just quit. We all just changed round and got on with it. When the gig got a write up in one of the local fanzines it was called 'the most anarchic gig of the year'. Quite a compliment really.

was also at the Limit Rejects afternoon gig that was cancelled and then re-arranged, that was earlier. Summer 1980.

yes Longy died in 1994-5 although I was in South Africa at the time and didn't hear about it until I got back early in 1996.

I found a picture of Longy, a few weeks ago, clearing some stuff out, it is quite a faded old "Polaroid" type, and taken when he lived at Gleadless Valley (John O'Gaunt area), probably 1979. A gang of lads all stood in front of some shops at night.

Interesting reading all these posts , left Sheff, in the early 80's , so some of the older (ahem )posters may remember seeing my name around town , suppose you could call me an early tagger, is that what they call spray artists now, any roads , thanks for the trip back in time .

BEEFFY & PUNK.

Was the vicars daughter from pits moor by chance .

Yes,the Rev. Don Sparkes daughter...Alison, I think.

I wonder who is still around?

I saw nearly every gig there and drank and played pool constantly down in the basement

---------- Post added 26-02-2018 at 17:56 ----------

Solero (quote);-

We were like Spinal Tap and changed drummers every five minutes, and at least one of them, a guy called Simon from Rotherham, came to an untimely end although it was not quite in the spontaneous human combustion category - he crashed his motorbike with a girl called Sirrah on the back in 1984 and both of them were killed.

At one time we had a proper professional drummer, a guy called Kenny Slade, who had worked with Joe Cocker.

Hi Solero.

I believe the drummer may have been Simon Hart. I heard of his (and his pillion passengers) death years later, but never any details about the crash. He was a Sheffield lad probably living in Rotherham at the time!. R.I.P.

Kenny can still be found enjoying his retirement in the pubs/bars of Crookes & Hillsborough corner.

I remember Simon and his untimely death very well, he was a good friend.

R.I.P.  Marcus Featherby

2 hours ago, Grappler said:

R.I.P.  Marcus Featherby

Beat me to it, was just gonna post that fella, R.I.P Marcus

Sad, had some rally good times........