Punk gigs at the Marples

Does anyone remember the punk gigs upstairs at the Marples, they were great and never any trouble. People used to come from all over the country. Sheffield was really vibrant then, great days :-)

i never actually went to any of the gigs there due to me having long hair but i can remember seeing reviews for the concerts in sounds bands like VICE SQUAD THE FOURSKINS and various punk and oi type bands used to play there

oh happy days:thumbsup:

Guest Cutglass

Cor now your taking me back, always seem to remember UK Subs playing there tons of times and they're still going. Anti Nowhere League too, used to sit downstairs at Marples in the afternoons and get slightly p**sed with my punk mates. Aaah the memories. :thumbsup:

i didnt no the anl played the marples i can remember the uk subs playing there but i was advised not t go cos loads of skinheads used to frequent the place:(

unfortunately being a youngster (36 today :P) i didnt get into punk till 1984 and a bit later till i used to go to the city centre on my own / with mates so i missed the marples :(

I always remember seeing an exploited poster on the wall of the marples tho, must have been the last gig??

The Mau Maus live at the marples was a cracking album tho, ill have to try and get that again

Guest Cutglass

Well I'm 41, so was just the right age, can remember all the gigs as Roxy's too, remember seeing The Ruts there and being well impressed, I was gonna have a tatt with the Ruts on but one of them died, so it put me off a lil bit. Saw the Damned there and I was dead chuffed when Rat Scabies threw his drumsticks into the crowd and I caught one :thumbsup:

Ahh the memories :lol:

I saw the Stunt Kites there when they were in their late-1970s prime.

There used to be a band called Artery who always seemed to be either at the Broadfield or Rotherham Arts Centre.

I thin that there is a story that when they played upstars at the Marples that one of the group - halfway through a song - climbed out of a window, shuffled along a ledge, and climbed back in another window.

I've no idea if it's true but it sounds like something that they would have done.

Does anyone remember when the Marples was a venue for punk bands? I spent many an evening there in the late seventies watching the likes of Discharge, GBH, Vice Squad, UK Subs & many more. Oh happy days.

Wonder where all the punks have gone now They were truly wondorous days & Marcus Featherby who seemed to organise the events where is he now.

Does anyone remember when the Marples was a venue for punk bands? I spent many an evening there in the late seventies watching the likes of Discharge, GBH, Vice Squad, UK Subs & many more. Oh happy days.

Wonder where all the punks have gone now They were truly wondorous days & Marcus Featherby who seemed to organise the events where is he now.

I remember these gigs well - and I also remember not having to bother about getting dolled up either - some colour spray and laquer for the hair (make up took a little time) - dark clothes but best of all THE BLACK BAG. few chains here and there and hey presto a 92 bus in to town and the best nights ever !!!:thumbsup:

yeah, where are the punks in sheffield? I have arrived from the isle of man, and i cant find any 'punk' bars or clubs! I have been going to gigs at corporation and plug, but niether are really punk clubs