Punk gigs at the Marples

I remember Marcus very well, he had a story about everything and that wasn't his real name either...

"Very nice bloke" Well thanks for saying that Martin, you obviously know me, sorry I don’t recognise your username.

That isn’t a full list of bands, flux of pink indians, poison girls, GBH, off the top of my head. They were great gigs. We also put Nico on, from velvet underground fame. Crass was my favourite gig, in fact they were the best live band I ever saw and saw them all around the country.

The only trouble I remember inside the Marples, was Chris Long (RIP i believe) going in the womens toilets.

Mark Goldthorpe, Artery singer, did go out onto the window sill, it wasn’t what you would call a balcony.

I was in touch with Marcus until recently (& saw him July 2006), unfortunately I have been unable to contact him by phone or email and fear the worst.

"Very nice bloke" Well thanks for saying that Martin, you obviously know me, sorry I don’t recognise your username.

here you go, martin dust post from a while ago :P

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2062682&postcount=484

phew took mi ages to refind that, page 25 of my punk and metal bands thread :P

chris long was a long time staple of the peace gardens i believe?

yeah id heard he'd died, shame, although im not surprised with the amount of booze and alcohol he used to consume, when i was around there never mind since i left sheff

The interesting thing was that Marcus's stories (that I didnt believe at the time turned out to be true). He told me he didnt mind that people thought he made things up, he said just cos they hadnt done things, they couldnt believe that anyone else had. And he did things, he turned up in Sheffield and started record labels and gigs etc, WITH NO MONEY, he acted like he had money. When i met him he had enough money for one tin of cat food, i gave him some money to get some food. When we lived in same house we lived literally on one 17 year olds giro, and what fell into my pocket. We had to move cos we couldnt pay the rent. We carried on doing the gigs. You have to admit Marcus did what he said he would, and as time went on I found proof that he had done what he said he had done.

That isn’t a full list of bands, flux of pink indians, poison girls, GBH, off the top of my head. They were great gigs. We also put Nico on, from velvet underground fame. Crass was my favourite gig, in fact they were the best live band I ever saw and saw them all around the country.

The only trouble I remember inside the Marples, was Chris Long (RIP i believe) going in the womens toilets.

Mark Goldthorpe, Artery singer, did go out onto the window sill, it wasn’t what you would call a balcony.

I was in touch with Marcus until recently (& saw him July 2006), unfortunately I have been unable to contact him by phone or email and fear the worst.

We use't to chat on the stairs at the Marples, I hung around with the Mau Maus back in the day, still see the singer every now and then. Only trouble I remember is at the Toy Dolls when a skinhead planted one of those bar stools on someones head, that was the last gig there I think.

Was he a nurse? Did he win a medal in the olympics? I don't have a axe to grind with him Andy, he was a laugh and I liked his stories, it's just that one after the other it was a bit hard to take. I remember the time he told the NME that Wattie from the Exploited liked to smoke a pipe and listen to New Order, Wattie didn't even smoke ;)

Many things he said about Africa, America and Iceland turned out to be true. He never told me he had an olympic medal, however after leaving school and being an excellent long distance runner, he was the only smoker who ever beat me in a race ( then i became a smoker :-) ).

All the best people used to chat on the stairs :-)

Many things he said about Africa, America and Iceland turned out to be true. He never told me he had an olympic medal, however after leaving school and being an excellent long distance runner, he was the only smoker who ever beat me in a race ( then i became a smoker :-) ).

Yeah but do you listen to New Order ;)

No to New Order (Joy Division yes). And no I dont smoke a pipe, however in marcus's and my flat, i remember breaking up cigarettes with Gene October from Chelsea to create roll ups, when he stayed at our house.

during the early 80s i also went to the marples, this is were i met my future husband chris long, yes sadly he did die around 14 years ago. the marpels brings back such fab memorys of snakebites and dancing and jumping to music and lyrics that ment so much i met so many interesting people i was also into loads of other bands useally political ect so this eveing off to see john cooper clark at the broadwalk might see some one from those days when i was called lem

Yes, I remember going to the Marples for all the gigs, brilliant.Even when there wasn't bands on, we'd meet downstairs and then go upstairs, as people have said, talking on the stairs was great.

What happened to Mick Fidler from Artery?Is he still pacing the earth?