Graves Park, Leave your memories here

3 hours ago, Billam said:

Hi Linda, I did walk you home one night, you phoned me at work, T C  Harrison and invited me to an all nighter, I couldn,t go, that was the last time I saw you. If I remember right both you and Shirley had black hair and wore leather coats. I last saw Paul around 1995, he still lives at Woodseat s and is in the phone book, I keep promising to go over and see him

Wow, I can't remember that Roger, it would have been an all-nighter at the Esquire Club as that was where I hung out in those days, there or the Mojo.  Yes we both had black hair and the fashionable long leather coats. Ah, the memories!

Hi Graves Park holds many memories from the fifty's sledging on the golf course in winter boating and fishing in both the ponds .I went to Abbey Lane school and as we had no playing field so we would be taken to play football and cricket when the weather was fine on the parks pitches .Playing in gangs of hide and seek when the nights were drawing in the woods scaring each other to death .Happy Days

7 hours ago, Coyote5 said:

Wow, I can't remember that Roger, it would have been an all-nighter at the Esquire Club as that was where I hung out in those days, there or the Mojo.  Yes we both had black hair and the fashionable long leather coats. Ah, the memories!

There were five of us, me, Roger, Paul, Dave Smith and Barry Falcon. We all played for the same football team, holidays, 67/68 we went in a caravan in Yarmouth, 69/70 we went to Jersey, during the summer, after work we  were in the Park footballing, also Sunday afternoon, I had a portable record player, when it got too hot I,d play records, we usually went to town on Saturday night. My cousin did a disco, two nights at the Fleur De Leys, Totley, two nights at the Olive Grove, East Bank Road, we had some great times. In 1971 we had an argument and I went my own way, pity but great memories.

I used to play in the park when I was young, fishing, boating and football. When I was a teenager there was a gang of us played football in front of the cafe.Every weekday night and Sunday afternoon in the summer. I used take my portable record player, Sunday afternoon when it was too hot for football we listened to records. We formed a team the Kestrels, our home games played at Graves Park,, always good to play on pitch 1. They were great times, then discovered beer and women, still miss the mates I had then.😁

Went back a few years ago, there is now a playground in front of the cafe,  no boats, most of the football and cricket pitches are gone, no water fountains. There used to be seats around the trees, all gone, seems to be overgrown .

Due to the service economy there's far fewer people playing sport on a Saturday or Sunday. Hence,the disappearing football and cricket pitches in Graves Park.

Vandalism and someone drowning in the boating lake caused the removal of the boats, I think.

A lot of anglers these days want easy fishing and they tend to visit waters that are stocked with carp. These waters are easy to get to and on some of them you can park directly behind your peg.

I've spent many  happy hours fishing both ponds and waited for the 'parkie' to go before fishing the boating lake.  

Btw, what happened to all the fish in the boating lake?

Regarding my previous post about the removal of boats and the drowning. There's a thread on Facebook about this. Evidently, a 5yr old girl  fell in and was sadly drowned.