Graves Park, Leave your memories here

Used to love Graves Park . I was brought up at the north side of Sheffield and travelling to graves was a good day out , great park . Then moved to Dronfield 76 and used the park much more but like you have mentioned it is a bit neglected in places now . I have seen . first hand what is happening to parks and it is sad . Not all the demise can be blamed on lack of money in Dronfields case for example its now bad management and a useless council.

I know, we used to walk up through Bole Hill wood and enter through the farmyard but it is now closed off, it looks like the farmhouse has been sold off.

I always thought of it as one of the more exotic Sheffield parks catering for a wide range of interests. I used the football pitches, the golf, the tennis courts, boating lake like everyone else but does anyone remember the area for flying control line model aircraft? Used that too. There was a free concert held in the park in the early seventies with local bands playing. It got a bit out of hand after dark with the police coming in to clear people off the park.

Edited by Person6

I always thought of it as one of the more exotic Sheffield parks catering for a wide range of interests. I used the football pitches, the golf, the tennis courts, boating lake like everyone else but does anyone remember the area for flying control line model aircraft? Used that too. There was a free concert held in the park in the early seventies with local bands playing. It got a bit out of hand after dark with the police coming in to clear people of the park.

It would be good to contact old friends, Roger Buckley, Barry Falcon, Paul Foxton, Dave Smith, Tony Croft and anyone from the Kestrels football team.

Hi Graves Park Guy's & girls,

I lived in Kent Road Heeley and rode the bus up to the park from Heeley Green.

We played cricket on one of the many pitches in the bottom fields. Then it was up the path, up the hill, and into the Pavillian for Tea or an icecream. Next we would go down the top fiield, and hire a Rowing boat and row around the island until our time was up. The top dam we used to go Ice skateing on the thick ice in winter. Saw a few people break thier ankles falling whilst skateing. No health & Safety in those 1940/50's days. A great smart and clean place to walk and play.

cheers:)Peter.

Hi Graves Park Guy's & girls,

I lived in Kent Road Heeley and rode the bus up to the park from Heeley Green.

We played cricket on one of the many pitches in the bottom fields. Then it was up the path, up the hill, and into the Pavillian for Tea or an icecream. Next we would go down the top fiield, and hire a Rowing boat and row around the island until our time was up. The top dam we used to go Ice skateing on the thick ice in winter. Saw a few people break thier ankles falling whilst skateing. No health & Safety in those 1940/50's days. A great smart and clean place to walk and play.

cheers:)Peter.

Remember going up Derbyshire Lane, past the Norton Cemetary?

All those gravestones with what looked like FA Cups on top. Almost every grave had one.

A few years ago I was back there and they had all been taken off.

Pinched? :P)

I remember going to Graves Park as a child The number 4 bus was service was terrible and you had to wait ages for it to get home. At lease to a child of eight you did.

On 02/05/2012 at 13:12, Billam said:

I lived at Woodseats, walked up from Helmton Road through Bluebell Wood, through the farmyard(can't do that now).

In the 60's we would meet in front of the cafe and play football every night and Sunday afternoons. My mates were Roger Buckley, Barry Falcon, Paul Foxton and Dave Smith and too many more to mention, Dave Munks and Mick Hill(ex Sheff Utd) used to join in sometimes, it was great.

But then I discovered beer and women.

I don't know if it's me or not but when you go back to view the places you used to frequent they always look smaller.

It would be great to see my old mates.

Hi Billam,

I'm certain I know you, does your Christian name begin with R? 

I remember Roger Buckley, I think he once had a crush on me way back in the 60's. I knew Paul Foxton well, I was best friends with his sister Shirley.

Still remember fishing in the big pond (there were three then).  a stick, cotton thread, a bent pin and a tiny worm. Sometimes with a flour bag net.  Caught red breasts (reddies) and sticklebacks, not more than an inch long.

The rose garden with the sun dial in the middle.  Kids were never bored in those days.

We must have been up to no good in those days, we were always running from park keepers, bobbies and gardeners.  :)

20 hours ago, Coyote5 said:

Hi Billam,

I'm certain I know you, does your Christian name begin with R? 

I remember Roger Buckley, I think he once had a crush on me way back in the 60's. I knew Paul Foxton well, I was best friends with his sister Shirley.

Hi, yes my name is Roger, we used to spend all our time in the Park playing football, Roger Buckey was my best mate. The only friend of Shirley,s I knew was called Linda C. There was a gang of younger girls used to follow us about,  Carol Cox was one of them.

Edited by Billam
I didn,t mean to name someone.

On 29/02/2008 at 16:43, Treatment said:

Is it my imagination, but on the Chesterfield Road/ Meadowhead side, wasn't there some kind of overgrown concrete amphitheatre ??

On 11/01/2015 at 21:08, LAURA4 said:

It's not your imaination,it was an open air theatre,when we were kids we used to have"concerts" there,it had a high bank at the back with long stone tiers leading dow to the stage,in a semicircle.Lgend has it that under the stage was a tunnel leading to Beauchief Abbey.Iwas born about a hundred yards from there, on Harvey Clough Road,Im 76 now but oh! the memories are still fresh.The reason the birds don't sing in Bunting Nook, is because it's haunted as is the bit of the park that runs along Hemsworth roadther used to be two swans on what became the boating lake during the war, called Adolf and Rommel,one of them chased my Aunt,who was pushing my pram at the time,all the way from the lake across the park and up the road

We came down from Scotland to live at Bocking Lane eary 1960's and the ampitheater was still there then.

We used to walk through the abandoned allotments where the Chancet wood estate is now. 

There certainly was an area under the stage but I don't think it would have gone down to Beuchief Abbey.

We spent many happy hours in Greaves park, the Ravine from the play area at the btm end up to the cafe, the lakes etc are all areas we took our children to when they were growing up as well. i have never been into football, more cross country for me but do remember playing on the sloping pitch when I was in the boy Scouts. Any one remember the Pop concerts held there early 70's? 

Happy Daze altogether in that area. My Grans house backed straight on to Beauchief Woods (Parkbank woods) which we entered through a gate at the top of her garden. Hutcliff Woods, Millhouses park, Ecclesall woods, were all our stomping grounds.

We did look for the Ampitheter some years later but it probably had to go due to some health and safety reason no doubt?

I could always imagine concerts being held there, and wondered how things must have sounded in such a spooky setting.

16 hours ago, Billam said:

Hi, yes my name is Roger, we used to spend all our time in the Park playing football, Roger Buckey was my best mate. The only friend of Shirley,s I knew was called Linda C. There was a gang of younger girls used to follow us about,  Carol Cox was one of them.

Hi Roger, thanks for replying. 

Yes you're right, I'm the Linda C you remember, the best friend of Shirley. I don't know Carol or the younger girls you mentioned, but I remember you and Roger B. 

Hi Linda, I did walk you home one night, you phoned me at work, T C  Harrison and invited me to an all nighter, I couldn,t go, that was the last time I saw you. If I remember right both you and Shirley had black hair and wore leather coats. I last saw Paul around 1995, he still lives at Woodseat s and is in the phone book, I keep promising to go over and see him