Whats your home recording setup?

Sony Vaio laptop (only single core at mo but 2 Gb DDR2 RAM)

M-Audio Solo soundcard (FireWire)

Ext 500Gb H/D

Cubase (#) / Stylus RMX / Ableton / Acid / Sound Forge

Fender Jazz bass / dated Roland keyboard.

Millions of samples. :|

(#) - still my favourite, right from the old Atari ST days !!

A bog standard PC, a Tascam portastudio, a cheap Les Paul copy (accoustic pickup fitted) and an SM58.

Samples on my homepage:- jeestring.co.uk

Phil

My recording set up is very basic but I like it - a 4 track cassette tape recorder. I generally record in the following sequence - rhythm on track 1, main keyboard track 2, extra keyboard sounds track 3, vocal track 4. It is important to get the recording level set exactly right when recording each track, ie too low and you get background noise, too high and you get distortion. Having recorded all 4 tracks, I then connect the tape recorder to the computer soundcard and use Audacity to convert it to .wav format followed by conversion to MP3.

I currently use a PC with an AMD Athlon 2600, 512Mb Ram, 320Gb external hard drive and dual display, Reason 4 with a Behringer BCF2000 control surface and a Kork Mono/Poly M midi controller keyboard. USB creative soundcard and Phillips speakers. Just ordered an M-Audio 192 card because I want to start recording live guitar onto tracks rather than using a limited quantity of samples. I have got Cubase and Pro-Tools but don't use them that often since most of my music is sequenced dance and electonica

My recording set up consists of two pebbles, which i bash together repeatly and record the results on the voicemail of my mobile phone.

My recording set up consists of two pebbles, which i bash together repeatly and record the results on the voicemail of my mobile phone.

I didn’t think you were into Rock!

I also thought you dismissed Pebble players as self indulgent and if the need came up for their distinctive sound on a song you used Steinberg’s Virtual Pebble??

sounds amazing. you should upload the results onto your myspace! better yet a whole new page dedicated to just to that, you could call yourselves 'the flintstones'

I'm on an Athlon dual core 2.4Ghz, 2GB Ram, 500GB 7200rpm SATA drive

Audio Interface: Saffire Pro 40

Mics: SM58,SM57,SE2000,RODE NT1A,SE4a

Midi controllers: Remote 91SL, Akai MPD42, BCF2000

Synths/grooveboxes: Novation A Station, Yamaha AN200, Korg ESX

Pres: Art TubeMP V3

FX: DBX266XL Compressor, Lexicon MX200, Electrix FilterFactory

Other: Lin6 Toneport, 2x Behringer PX2000 patchbay

Instr: Bongos :P, Yamaha Pacifica guitar (badly out of tune, I just use it for some interesting fx), Yamaha DGX620 Electric Grand

.........................................yes it's an obsession.........

Monitors: Tannoy Reveal 5a + hifi speakers on a JVC !X333 amp

Rastardley: the 192's inputs wont take a hi-z guitar input - you'll need a DI box to get the signal right - look at the Lin6 toneport GX - basically a DI box with an amp plugin OR you could look at getting a preamp and a mic to record direct from an amp.

Additionally, you'll need an extra program to record your guitar into as Reason wont record audio - I've used Audacity when I needed to do this - freeware of course :)

Phooey: I'd lean the other way these days - the new Macbooks have apparently dropped the firewire ports completely, which rules out a fair few really good interfaces!!!

to be fair i've always been a PC man, but thought i'd mention it.

RB83: Firewire is better for multichannel - though USB2 can handle 2 in 2 out with respectable latency figures I wouldnt trust it on an 8 in 8 out interface.

Phooey: I'd lean the other way these days - the new Macbooks have apparently dropped the firewire ports completely, which rules out a fair few really good interfaces!!!

to be fair i've always been a PC man, but thought i'd mention it.

True, for the most recent release, but then I wouldn't recommend recording anything beyond sketchbook song demos on a laptop anyway. Once you're into the realm of physical interfaces and other outboard gear, the benefits of portability are lost, so it makes sense to get a desktop computer.

I have at last entered the digital age and got a Fostex M8 multitrack recorder, this records onto Compact Flash cards and the one supplied is 2GB and will last for many hours of recording. Just learning how to use it, previously I was still using 4 track cassette! Initial findings are that the microphone input is not very powerful, either that or I've got a weak voice.

computer spec? Apple iMac

hard drive? Internal 400gb

sound card? Line 6 Toneport UX8

mics? MXL 990s. Shure PG57, Shure SM58, T-Bone SC300, JTS TX2, JTS TX9, Behringer C-2 x2 (Stereo Pair)

midi? Carillon Control 25 USB Midi Keyboard

speakers/monitoring? Tapco S8s

software? recording, mixing, mastering etc. Logic 9, Ableton Live Intro, EZdrummer, iZotope iDrum, lots of other software instruments I've built up over the years.