Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

Originally posted by PoohBear

I asked my mum about this as she was brought up in the area and atteneded St Silas church, she said

"Yes I do remember the school and surrounding area but I do not know when it ceased to be a school. I am not sure they are talking about the same building as I seem to think the school was demolished."

The School was demolished in the 70s along with all the few remaining houses round it. If you look at St Silas House its to high to have been part of the old school, everything went im afraid. The Sheffield artist George Cunningham lived on Hodgson St near the school in fact Im sure he went there.

I worked just up from the school on Headford St.

I beg to differ it was never demolished or what was the school i went to?

It is the same height & shape as it was when i went there.

My father lived on Hodgson street in his youth & I lived on Broomhall flats till 1980, so I think I should know, no offence intended, but I know from 1st hand experience.

I bow to your memory but I can remember a single storey building along Hodgson St, it had a high wall around it and the roof was grey/blue slates but as to the building that is there now, I was just a conclusion as the single storey building has gone or am I wrong.

It did have a high wall but it was definately 2 storeys. The stairs were very steep & high. I remember falling down them carrying a large ornament & cutting my hand. That was in the late 70's. My classroom with Mr Shuffleton (AKA **** shuffle arse)was upstairs. Miss Burgess's classroom was also upstairs but Mrs Pashley's (AKA pish posh pashley) classroom was downstairs.

From the outside it would look like it was 3 storey's high.

Fond memories.

you have convinced me, you are completely correct. sorry

I attended St. Silas C of E school from 1951 to 1956 and have been trying to remember the names of my fellow school pals. Are any of you still out there?

Grannypat, best put some names on here. Put your thinking cap on and start making a list!

Here are a few of grannypat's FriendsReunited contemporaries from St Silas: Barbara Hall, Christine Marsh, Anthony Elliott, Peter Foster, David Hallam, Sonia Hancock, Julie Wathall.

I went to St. Silas from 1951 to 1957. Did you manage to get a photo? An artist who was a neighbour of ours at that time, painted a picture of the school and I have a print. I could send you a copy if you are still interested.

I intend visiting Sheffield within a few weeks and am hoping to go and see what is left of the area and the school. Not much I expect. Does anyone know if Joseph Pickerings cardboard box factory is still there?

By the way, the chip shop on Young Street used to have a monkey which was kept out the back. We used to stop and talk to it on our way home from school. You could see the top of the cage above the wall. Really cute it was.

The single stotey building which you remember was on the other corner of Moore Street and Young Street and was a day nursery. I remember it well.

I went to St Silas school from 1959-62 when they demolished the houses round there.

We lived on Clarence St. but went to Crookes under 'slum clearance' after the Sheffield gales.

We used to play in the old houses....my god -we used to go up to the attics and walk along rafters risking a drop down into the cellar....geez it's a wonder we survived!

I remember Mr Fovargue ,Miss Bunting and Mrs Housley.

Also remember Sharon Greenfield, David Prout, Peter Kelly, Wendy Sayles and a Down's syndrome girl called Judith who we all loved.

I also remember the Dewsnap family, Mr and Mrs Fearn and their daughter Audrey who gave me a doll and pram.

Must stop now.....memories are flooding back !!