Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

Hi Pat, he probably thought he was going up market :smile: Kathleen Fowler was a good friend of mine, she lived on Bishop street, probably as naughty as me and for tea we only had cold water haha. Can you remember Atkinsons dam if you can't you were posh? :thumbsup:

Spoiler

I do remember Atkinson's dam Martin. Although I have to admit that I only remember ever playing there once but I think that's more because it was a bit further away than that I was posh. Me - posh!!!! 🤣

Hi Pat, are you on face book? during this lock down I've started to use it, if you are do you remember Wigfalls on Bridgefield Road I have a photo of me and Terry Burgess sat on the running board of a car, we  must be about 5 years old, if I can I will let you have the photo. Also do you remember Stuart Kyte and Ann Bullivant, Susan Crofts, they lived near you on Clarence street?

Hi Martin,

I have sent you a PM.

Pat 

good evening pat

my father and his sisters went to st silas my dad was born in 1945 so assuming he was there start of the fifties

his name was Kieth Fetcher had sisters joan & margaret..sheila.janet.& a downsyndrome sister called judith ???

11 hours ago, Pkm said:

good evening pat

my father and his sisters went to st silas my dad was born in 1945 so assuming he was there start of the fifties

his name was Kieth Fetcher had sisters joan & margaret..sheila.janet.& a downsyndrome sister called judith ???

Hi Pkm. Have you considered doing a DNA test on Ancestry. It's not cheap but it would seem that may be your only way of tracing any relatives. You could perhaps start by doing your family tree on Ancestry. I have been doing mine for many years and it really worthwhile especially if you are trying to find people. If you PM me with all your dad's details such as date of birth and place of birth. His parents names too if you know them and I'll see what I can find out, if anything.

Grannypat 

Hi to all on this site 

to

l came across it by accident ,looking for info on back to back housing ,for my daughters book . 

Wow  it’s nice to hear all your memories regarding St SilasSchool

l attended from 1954 to 1960 ,when we moved for slum clearance

I have read all 23 pages of the site ,although l can’t recall some of the names mentioned ,some l can 

we lived at 1 court 2 headford  st  the Goodisons we’re our neighbours although they were older them me and my sister and me  Marilyn ,Eileen Fred ,Pat&Rita  Gambles were my cousins ,as are the Eaton’s,Christine ,Sandra,Wendy ,Tony ,and the rest 

someone mentioned ,a few names that ring a bell with me  

started  out in Miss Buntings ended up in Mr Fovague  class

names l recall ,although a bit foggy , the  Higgingbottom  twins 

Sandra Dickinson ,Wendy or sally Sales ? 

Could be wrong but read someone called Hague Sandra ? that sadly passed away , 

would-love to hear from anyone  ,Going down memory lane opens up lots of old memories 

Hi Nanajen,

Welcome. I'm sure that you won't regret joining this site. The people are really friendly and if you have anything at all that you need help with to jog your memory there will always be some one on here who will either know or will find out for you. They've never failed me. I think a trip down memory lane is something we all enjoy as we get a little older. Things have changed so much, especially around where we used to live, haven't they? It looks like a different place entirely. I preferred it as it was I have to admit. Might not have been as new looking but it had bags more character. I couldn't believe it when I saw they had knocked down The Arcade. Such a beautiful building. Ah well! 

Grannypat

Hello everyone, I didn't go to St. Silas but my brother did for a few years before he had to leave to take me to the school of my choice Hunters Bar. He was born 1937, and would have been at St. Silas in the early 40's. His name was Barry Hartley and I am Betty his sister. We lived on Hanover Street, on the corner with Hodgson St., and next door on the corner was a sign writers I think.  There was a pub on another corner I visualise as dark red, and a general store on another.  My mum used to give us a penny to get two apples from there. I think the Browns lived on the 4th corner, but I may have dreamt that.

I don't know the names of the pubs as my parents didn't frequent them, but The Sheldon rings a bell. Their was a pub at the bottom corner of Bangor St, opposite Milton St, and another at the bottom of Hanover St on the corner with Ecclesall Rd.

In fact from our house I could see three pubs. Sadly my Mum passed away 4 months after I married and a few months later my Dad moved to flats at the top of St. Philips Road due to the slum clearance.

I remember the Ismay Family, The Gardner's, Norman Walsh and the Browns, A butlan Mitten, Willie who's surname I can't remember but wondered if Willybite could be my friend of old.

Can't bring anyone else to mind as my brain is ancient.

My best friends Maureen Hammerton and Family, Mary Quibell and Family, Pat Danks and Family who all lived on William St". Pats aunties were dressmakers in the area and made my bridesmaid dresses.

I left Sheffield after marrying in 1961 and moved to Coal Aston, 1971 moved to Sutton Coldfield and 5yrs late to Buckinghamshire where we still are. 

I have loved reading these threads, not read them all yet but realised how much I had forgotten and have just ordered a couple of  George Cunningham Books. I am so looking to them arriving.

My Paternal Grandparents in the 1940/50's used to run The White Hart Pub in Russell St, that is now known as Kelham Island. 

I think that's all for now but thank you all for sharing your memories, very emotional but very rewarding.