Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

Hiya Willybite,

Yes I can remember playing darts with him and he would be half way to the dart board and would still have the darts in his hand.

Derek being the dart player would think it was funny but the old fellow was not amused.

Ahhhh I love that I've found this page! St Silas school loved it,kinda miss those days a lot,and the teachers!! I was in mr shuffletons class( shuffle arse) But I remember all the other teachers so well!! Mr forvague... ha I remember going to him a few times to be smacked on the back of my knees... wow can almost feel the pain lol,couldn't sit down properly afterwards as it was stinging so bad. But saying that I would have loved to have turned back time to go back there,see old faces n the teachers. Oh gosh I remember my fave pudding.. the wagon wheel with custard.. oh yum,how I'd love to eat that again.. Ohhhh the memories I so miss.

---------- Post added 29-01-2017 at 11:37 ----------

I went to St Silas has a kid and left in 1981 at the age of 10, remember that year making banners and going to the town hall and walking in the roads shouting Save our School, never made any difference obviously. Regarding it turning into offices, have been once or twice and has soon has you walk in, the stairs are still directly to left of the entrance, I don't think any major alterations have been made to the structure and the inside.

The only teacher I remember is the Headmaster Mr Vavarg, may be spelt incorrectly but sounds right. He retired whislt I was still there.

And going back to dinner in the big dining room, which probably was never actually big, its just that we were smaller, just like I remember all the chocolate bars being bigger when I was smaller. Going off subject abit there, LOL. I remember always wanting the skin from the top of the custard in those large metal jugs and can't say I've had pink custard since leaving primary.

Remember the school yard, reason for this is, can you remember the large white porcalian plant pots that where scattered at the far wall? well I do because when it was playtime I would get on my imaginary horse and trot around the yard, jumping over the plant pots, this was whilst my best friend and other friends were doing hand stands (I could never do these) flashing their knickers as their dresses fell over their faces, wearing knickers with the days of the week on and wearing Fridays on a Tuesday, Lol

Well what happened to me on one occasion and probably my last time, was I went smack face first after catching my foot as jumping over and one of my front teeth broke leaving just under half a tooth and with this being an adult tooth had to go to the dentist and have it capped.

Anyway to whoever started this, Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Haha I remember this also. Those plant pots. If I remember correctly though I could be wrong you could be Michelle swindels(sorry could be spelt wrong) Edited by RTBU
Misspelt word

I went to St. Silas school from about 1952 to 1957. I was thinking about those far off days and I remembered that there was a little boy called Brian in our class. He had red hair I think. One day he didn't come to school and we were asked to say prayers for him in assembly. He never came back to school. Does anyone know who he is/was or what happened to him. I feel quite guilty because not only don't I know his name but I have not given him a thought from that day to this. That's quite sad, isn't it?

I know it's a long shot but if you don't ask you don't get.

Grannypat

Is there anyone out there who attended St. Silas C of E school between 1951 and 1956? I know it's a long time ago but I would love to know what happened to you all. I know that some are sadly no longer with us but it would be great to have a catch up with those who are. Lets see how many we can find. 

Grannypat

I've just discovered this forum all because I recently discovered a neighbour of mine had also lived in a back to back in Birmingham when she was growing up. Got me thinking about my childhood. I lived a 123 Hodgson Street until we were moved in 1962 when the houses at our end of the street were demolished. I went to St Silas between 1954 and 1960. Sam Hill was the head master, Mr Fovargue was my teacher in my last year and I remember Miss Housley, Miss Warren, Miss Naylor, Miss Glossop and we also had a young teacher who I think was called White and when she married became Mrs Frost (or could have been the other way round). Names I remember. Peter Levitt, Alan Carnell, Michael Mullins,  Raymond Foster, Geoff Wyatt, Alan Ashton, Roy Bland, Kenneth Birks, Trevor Dunstan, David Sayles, David? Morris,Vivienne Hill, Sonia Smith, Kathleen Baker, Kathleen Moseley, Sonia Johnston? Patricia Corker, Susan Goff, Susan Hague, Carol (ine)? Maxey who I think lived up Hanover Lane. 

I'll probably think of some more when I've posted this!

There are some pictures of Hodgson Street and St Silas school on www.picturesheffield.com . Just type the names in the search box some are pre-demolition and some post demolition.

Hi Trevor, sorry to say that I do not  remember you but as you will see from the previous post you joined the school at about the same time as I left it. It's funny though that I recognise some of the surnames you mention but that's probably because they had older brothers or sister who were in my class. Linda Carnell,  Susan Mullins, Brenda Moseley and Elaine Ashton. 

Grannypat

On 07/07/2019 at 11:18, grannypat said:

Is there anyone out there who attended St. Silas C of E school between 1951 and 1956? I know it's a long time ago but I would love to know what happened to you all. I know that some are sadly no longer with us but it would be great to have a catch up with those who are. Lets see how many we can find. 

Grannypat

Hi granny Pat 

I’m just reading your posts about st Silas in the 50’s

i know very little about most of my dads side & sadly all passed I do remember talking years ago with my dad & him telling me he went there his name was Keith fletcher had 3 older sisters Joan,Margaret,Sheila,then himself then sister Janet & a step sister Judith a down syndrome girl , 

his Dad was George & mom Alice 

St Silas church rings a bell........They had a scout troop in the early 50s.And I seem to remember they joined to gather with St Mathews 50th.troop and went camping to Walsbey Scoutcamp in Nottingham shire.There must be some of them still going strong.The only name I remember are  Soups. and Wheeler.Would be nice to here from someone...Happy days. ALL KEEP SAFE.

Hi Pkm, I'm really sorry but I don't remember anyone with these names during my time at St. Silas but then if they weren't in my year then I probably wouldn't anyway. I can remember the names of almost every kid in my class even though it was so long ago. There was a Gary Fletcher might he have been a relative? 

I do hope that you will get more replies to your questions. There are bound to be more people from our school who might know something. 

Grannypat 

Hi Granny Pat, I went to St Silas from 51 until 57 then on to Greystones secondary, my best friend was John Wood then he passed his 11 plus after that we hardly saw much of each other, Mary Bullas was another good friend of mine going to Denby Street nursery, St Silas then finishing up at Greystones. I lived at 26 court 3 Young Street and my name Martin Windle.

Martin Windle I remember you well. I doubt you will remember me though. Bob Hobson is my cousin??? I lived on Hurst Road and Bob lived on Michael Road. You used to come round to Humble Road to play now and then. 

I did put a post on  here before trying to find some of the kids I grew up with but with only a modicum of success. I found three of the girls but none of the boys replied. It's such a shame as we are none of us getting any younger and I just thought that it would be lovely to just be in touch again. It's funny but the older I get the more I seem to look back on those early years. 

Anyway, thank you for replying and it's lovely to be back in touch even if you can't remember who I am. ☺️

Grannypat

Martin, I am doing my family tree and I just remembered that my great grandparents lived on Young Street back around 1930s. They lived at 34 Court Young Street (that's what it say's on the certificates anyway). Could you tell me whereabouts that was on Young Street? Which side of the road. My mum and her first husband also lived on Young Street when they were first married and I suspect it was probably in that same house as my great grandparents died in the early 1930s.  My uncle, Eric Hobson, had his car repair yard near the bottom of Young Street on the right hand side going up. I don't know what numbers that covered. 

Grannypat