Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

Hi grannypat,

I remember most of those people that are named,I remember the last time

I saw Albert Price he was the manager of a pub near Mansfield, that was at least 15 yrs ago. Another lad was Tony Marshall he lived at the other end of

the street ..Had some good times with Glynn, Dave, and Tony but not heard

or seen anything of them since.. Steve Marriot, Gary Rhodes, I moved to Gleadless Valley at the same time when Hodgson St was earmarked for demolition..

if i think of anyone else i will let you know

bigmicky

love xxx

Hi Mick,

I do remember a character to who made us laugh a lot, Jimmy Elwes. How about Lois Lambert, Linda Hall, Christine Dawson, Susan Mullins, Raymond Price, Tony Marsh, Margaret Siddall, Glyn Prout, Linda Carnell, Hazel Dutton and Susan Weightman. There were Carol and David Whiting (not sure of the surname but they lived at The Vine I think)

Sorry hillsbro but I don't know any of the names you listed. They must have been a different age group to me.

Grannypat

Hi Mick//Granny Pat,

I am Bill Eades went to Spring Onions but my mate Pete Gallagher went to St.Silas.

How are you Mick had some good times playing football and the odd pint.

Hi Billie,

Of course I remember you, as well as (Pete)He lived across from me on the Valley and my son Wayne who is the Pro at Beauchief golf club, told me a couple of weeks ago Pete and another mate Mick Stringer was playing golf there and asked about me.

I have not seen Pete for years it would be good to catch up at somepoint

probably to have a round of golf ???

good to hear from you Billie

Hi Mick,

Good to hear from you.

I have been in touch with Pete but not for a while but have spoken to Brian and Julie.

I am also in touch with Georgie Lee.

I am living in Swansea so don't get to Sheffield Much.

Will have to arrange a reunion.

Hi Mick//Granny Pat,

I am Bill Eades went to Spring Onions but my mate Pete Gallagher went to St.Silas.

How are you Mick had some good times playing football and the odd pint.

hiya billy eades. i am a bit older than you about two years younger than your aunt lucetta, i knew all of your faMILY. but reading your letter i saw the name gallagher did they live near you in headford st. don't know if you knew but harold broadhurst past away a few weeks ago he lived on egerton lane.

Edited by willybite

Hi Pat,

We lived 3 doors from the Gallaghers next to Hancocks.

Did you know that my Aunt Lucetta passed away a few years ago.

hi we lived in hanover lane and i went to st silas school my gran lived at 78 clarance street she was helen mosley and grandad was harry.my father was Tommy Ismay. my brother in law went to st silas he was Trever Allan. maybe you knew some of these names.

Hello Nora, This is my first post on this site, and I must admit to being more than a little emotional reading all the posts. Such memories! I remember the Ismay family, I think you lived next door, or next door but one, to the little corner shop, which I don't remember the name of. My maiden name was Betty Hartley and I live with my Mum, Dad and brother Barrie born 1937 at 269, Hanover St. Barrie went to St. Silas for the first 5yrs and then he had to leave to accompany me to Hunter's Bar. I wondered if anyone remembers him.

---------- Post added 12-11-2015 at 18:47 ----------

Hello.

I am Alan Smith b.1943. and lived at 16/3 Hodgson Street near the Star Picture House. We lived just slightly up and across from the Mission Hall.(Sunday School)

Mum and Dad were Alice and Hughie Smith who drank in 'The Sheldon'

Our neighbours were the Horsfield's, Clovers, Wraggs, Healds, Frances, Dunworths

Hello Alan, I am more familiar with your side of Hodgson St, as I used to walk up there from Hanover St., where I lived, to catch the bus opposite The Star to go to school. I lived at the first house on the right past the corner of Hodgson St., and I used go to The Mission Sunday School. I remember the first time I went my Mum gave me money for Jesus, but I took it back home because he wasn't there. I remember the names Horsefields, Dunworths but not the others. There was a family opposite you I remember I used to go their house, but I can't remember who they were. Do you remember the name of the little lane opposite The Mission Hall, that ran up to Bangor St. For the life of me I can't put a name to it. A taxi driver called Binky lived on there.

---------- Post added 12-11-2015 at 18:50 ----------

I don't remember the name of the pub but the lane you are referring to I think was called Clarence Lane.

Hello Nora, This is my first post on this site, and I must admit to being more than a little emotional reading all the posts. Such memories! I remember the Ismay family, I think you lived next door, or next door but one, to the little corner shop, which I don't remember the name of. My maiden name was Betty Hartley and I live with my Mum, Dad and brother Barrie born 1937 at 269, Hanover St. Barrie went to St. Silas for the first 5yrs and then he had to leave to accompany me to Hunter's Bar. I wondered if anyone remembers him.

---------- Post added 12-11-2015 at 18:47 ----------

Hello Alan, I am more familiar with your side of Hodgson St, as I used to walk up there from Hanover St., where I lived, to catch the bus opposite The Star to go to school. I lived at the first house on the right past the corner of Hodgson St., and I used go to The Mission Sunday School. I remember the first time I went my Mum gave me money for Jesus, but I took it back home because he wasn't there. I remember the names Horsefields, Dunworths but not the others. There was a family opposite you I remember I used to go their house, but I can't remember who they were. Do you remember the name of the little lane opposite The Mission Hall, that ran up to Bangor St. For the life of me I can't put a name to it. A taxi driver called Binky lived on there.

---------- Post added 12-11-2015 at 18:50 ----------

I don't remember the name of the pub but the lane you are referring to I think was called Clarence Lane.

hiya the pub on the corner was the clarence i think. the sheldon was on boston st. harry mclarence lived around there. i went to the sunday school during the war years

also didn't george cunningham go to st silas have both his books shall have to look it up remember a passage about his schooldays.

hi, eadsey,,

How and why did you finish in Swansea, was it a girl or work

I am just being nosy.

When I think about the times back then, I think of being happy,

having loads of fun and sometimes being little buggers but always

had good times, now I don't like how things are turning out .

I will try and get in touch with Pete G to see if he as heard

from anyone then I will let you know....

bigmicky...

Hi Mick,

Came to Swansea for work and never went back.Met a girl down here and the rest is history.

You are right we did have some fun and a lot of laughs but things do seem to have changed.

I have Pete's number will ring him and get back to you.

Hi Mick,

Came to Swansea for work and never went back.Met a girl down here and the rest is history.

You are right we did have some fun and a lot of laughs but things do seem to have changed.

I have Pete's number will ring him and get back to you.

hiya eadsey i remember your dad harry a staunch unitedite when he played darts in the dog he used to say i cant let go of the dart so he would jack it in.like i said i knew all the eades, derek,ernest,lucetta,your dad, also the ransoms,charlesworths

when they were working on the cantilever stand roof and it was payday all the players were queueing up waiting for their wages alongside your dad and his workmates and he told one player thas not got cheek to take money how tha played last saturday, the player answered with its only a game, but he said it to the wrong one.

Edited by willybite
ss