Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

Hi Bald Eagle,

Story of my life. No-one ever remembers me but no worries. Let me help you with a few more names. Susan Mullins, Christine Dawson, Margaret Billard, Jimmy Elwes, Graham Bland, Margaret Siddall, Linda Carnell, Elaine Ashton, Albert Price, Michael Yellott, Carol Whiting, Gary Rhodes, Glyn Prout, Susan Weightman, June Leary, Linda Hall, Ray Price and Lois Lambert you've mentioned. I know there were about 32 in our class so there are still some names missing. Albert Price, who died a couple of years ago, gave me a really long list of everyones names. I knew I should have kept it.

Do you remember Hedley Briers who came into our class for a very short time. I found him on Friends Reunited. He was a bit up-market for our school but a nice lad I recall. It's a name you don't easily forget as I have never ever known another Hedley throughout my lifetime.

Pat

I didn't go to St. Silas I went to Pomona Street but was friends with quite a number of the people mentioned above as some went on to Greystones or went to the youth clubs. I have been trying to contact some of these people without success so I would be grateful if you could pass on any information on either to me or them. in those days my name was Sheila Smith and I lived on Ecclesall Road

Hi Sheilawragg1,

Who is it that you want to be in contact with? Helps if we can narrow it down a bit and then I'll have a go at trying to find them for you if I don't already know.

Grannypat :)

Hi Sheilawragg1,

Who is it that you want to be in contact with? Helps if we can narrow it down a bit and then I'll have a go at trying to find them for you if I don't already know.

hiya, i don't remember if i mentioned the name frank harris who lived on egerton st i met him at the a.r.c. at nether edge ,we were talking about him going to st silas school and a nurse as she passed us she heard a mention about st silas and said to us"how did you know about me going to st silas, she was about twenty years younger than us,

Hi Sheilawragg1,

I would like to get in touch with Christine Dawson especially and am not sure of the name but there was a Joan Heptinstall (not sure of the spelling been a long time) who was a neighbour of hers

Hi sheilawragg1,

I'll have a go at trying to find them but it's usually the lovely people on this forum who do the tracking. I did meet up with Christine Dawson back in the 80s I think it would have been. She was working at a shop at Manor Top which is probably no longer there. On the corner by the army camp. Joan Heptenstall I admit I haven't seen since we left St. Silas but I'll have a go. I think we should just keep our fingers crossed for help from forum members though. They are really great in helping to find people.

Watch this space.

Grannypat

---------- Post added 08-07-2014 at 20:55 ----------

Hi Sheilawragg1,

I've sent you a PM.

Grannypat

Hi sheilawragg1,

I'll have a go at trying to find them but it's usually the lovely people on this forum who do the tracking. I did meet up with Christine Dawson back in the 80s I think it would have been. She was working at a shop at Manor Top which is probably no longer there. On the corner by the army camp. Joan Heptenstall I admit I haven't seen since we left St. Silas but I'll have a go. I think we should just keep our fingers crossed for help from forum members though. They are really great in helping to find people.

Watch this space.

Grannypat

---------- Post added 08-07-2014 at 20:55 ----------

Hi Sheilawragg1,

I've sent you a PM.

Grannypat

thank you got it and thanks to anyone else who has submitted any information

Hi Sheilawragg1,

Any news yet?

Grannypat

Hi Sheilawragg1,

Any news yet?

Grannypat

sorry no, have been a bit unwell so have not been in touch; have tried to trace the addresses you gave me for Joan and they appear to be near my daughters and the one you gave me for Christine is the Parson Cross area

It has been about 4 years since I replied to this thread , and am happy that the school that was , still brings back memories for many that have replied and more that have not posted. :)

However , none of the replies have touched upon the gravestones I mentioned.

They were, when I was in attendance clearly seen through one or more of the upper windows, seated on the top of the toilets ( If looking towards the Town Hall ).

I doubt that they were graves per say - but there was at least 2 gravestones.

Maybe there was, previously to the toilet block(s) being built, a small burial site that was built upon, and the stones were placed above.

Someone must know.

Kindest regards.

/racking my brains now on this - I sure would have mentioned this to someone at the time - but as we were the age we were - probably no one listened - I know I was more than likely thinking of getting home to watch the latest kids thing at the time on TV - he he

Edited by Scrinthe

The school stopped being a school in 1983 me and my sisters went there and my mum was a dinner lady there and cooked the meals with one other person. Maggie thatcher closed it. I also remember doing a March through town, the song went something like this " vote vote for St silas you can't vote vote a better school we obey the golden rule and we always love our schools but silly politicians are as stubborn as a mule" my mum also lead the March.

It's funny as I tried searching it online and it's almost as if it didn't exist.

---------- Post added 24-05-2015 at 08:52 ----------

It did have a high wall but it was definately 2 storeys. The stairs were very steep & high. I remember falling down them carrying a large ornament & cutting my hand. That was in the late 70's. My classroom with Mr Shuffleton (AKA **** shuffle arse)was upstairs. Miss Burgess's classroom was also upstairs but Mrs Pashley's (AKA pish posh pashley) classroom was downstairs.

From the outside it would look like it was 3 storey's high.

Fond memories.

I remember all this, so you remember Mrs grant infant teacher I am sure she was gay I had my knuckles hit with a ruler by her and Mrs pashley I hated her.

---------- Post added 24-05-2015 at 10:36 ----------

I went to St Silas has a kid and left in 1981 at the age of 10, remember that year making banners and going to the town hall and walking in the roads shouting Save our School, never made any difference obviously. Regarding it turning into offices, have been once or twice and has soon has you walk in, the stairs are still directly to left of the entrance, I don't think any major alterations have been made to the structure and the inside.

The only teacher I remember is the Headmaster Mr Vavarg, may be spelt incorrectly but sounds right. He retired whislt I was still there.

And going back to dinner in the big dining room, which probably was never actually big, its just that we were smaller, just like I remember all the chocolate bars being bigger when I was smaller. Going off subject abit there, LOL. I remember always wanting the skin from the top of the custard in those large metal jugs and can't say I've had pink custard since leaving primary.

Remember the school yard, reason for this is, can you remember the large white porcalian plant pots that where scattered at the far wall? well I do because when it was playtime I would get on my imaginary horse and trot around the yard, jumping over the plant pots, this was whilst my best friend and other friends were doing hand stands (I could never do these) flashing their knickers as their dresses fell over their faces, wearing knickers with the days of the week on and wearing Fridays on a Tuesday, Lol

Well what happened to me on one occasion and probably my last time, was I went smack face first after catching my foot as jumping over and one of my front teeth broke leaving just under half a tooth and with this being an adult tooth had to go to the dentist and have it capped.

Anyway to whoever started this, Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

The banners were great do you remember the cox family

I attended St. Silas C of E school from 1951 to 1956 and have been trying to remember the names of my fellow school pals. Are any of you still out there?
Hi grannypat..

yes I am out there (I am mick yellott) I just registered

on here, I would love to here how you are and what you are

doing now...

hope to hear from you Mick Y

Hi Mick,

Yes, I remember you. I even went out with you for a while in infant school. Didn't we make contact on Friends Reunited a year or two ago. Strange how so few people seem to use that site now, me included. Ah, wait a minute, I seem to recall me asking you if you remembered my gran who lived across the road from you in the back to back houses.

I have been doing my family tree, along with everyone else in the world it would seem. Anyway, I have found out that quite a few members of my family lived along Hodgson Street back in the 1800s. Those are the kind of details that I love to find out.

Anyway, I shall go back onto Friends Reunited and see what you told me before. Getting on now and don't seem to hold onto things in my memory for very long. Except of course for the long ago details. They're still clear as crystal in my mind. Hey ho!

Grannypat