Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

hi we lived in hanover lane and i went to st silas school my gran lived at 78 clarance street she was helen mosley and grandad was harry.my father was Tommy Ismay. my brother in law went to st silas he was Trever Allan. maybe you knew some of these names.

Hi everyone, I'm from a big family that lived on William street, I've enjoyed reading all these posts,we all went to Springfield School [springonions] Does anyone know what the pub was called halfway along Moore street? I think the nick name was top o'lane as it was on the corner of the lane that led to the bottom of Clarence street /Ecclesall road.

I worked for a short time at Pickerings, they used to sack all the girls once they got to 18 so they didn't have to pay the full wage, Im only 5'2" and they put me to work on the 'big bender' I had to climb on top of the blinking thing and adjust the settings then shove cardboard through it that was bigger than me lol, I'd go home covered in red velvet dust if they'd been making posh cutlery boxes, unbeknownst to me at the time, my husband 'to be' worked upstairs on the guillotine.

Thanks for these lovely memories.

was you dad a sweep? if so I remember your family, we lived on Ecclesall rd back of fireplace shop. I think the pub was either the Sheffield or Ecclesall Tavern and the lane was Button Lane

was you dad a sweep? if so I remember your family, we lived on Ecclesall rd back of fireplace shop. I think the pub was either the Sheffield or Ecclesall Tavern and the lane was Button Lane

where abouts was the fireplace shop, brewery side or star pictures

where abouts was the fireplace shop, brewery side or star pictures

it started out on the star pictures side then moved across the road, it was at the side of the Star sweet shop, this also moved across when they started clearing the site for hanover street flats

---------- Post added 20-02-2014 at 22:28 ----------

My maiden name was Hardwick

---------- Post added 08-03-2013 at 19:45 ----------

Anne did you go to Greystones School ad di you have blonde hair

I was in Mrs Harrisons class at Greystones from 58-62, most of the memories were good except the walks up to Maud Maxfields sports ground in winter, it was the only time I remember bunking of school. We played hockey on that frozen ground in our navy knickers brrrr, I remember a girl called Julie Smith knocking me out

it started out on the star pictures side then moved across the road, it was at the side of the Star sweet shop, this also moved across when they started clearing the site for hanover street flats

I remember the sheffield sound centre being on the star pictures side before moving near the earl grey, was the fireplace shop near wateralls.

I remember the sheffield sound centre being on the star pictures side before moving near the earl grey, was the fireplace shop near wateralls.

not sure, if Wateralls was a butchers it was further down Ecclesall Road if it was a wet fish shop it was towards the Star Pictures and if memory serves there was also a dry cleaners and a grocery store on the corner which later became the Jolly Buffer but I can't remember the sound centre unless it was nearer the Devonshire Arms

Hi Yorkyhell

First of all thanks for the sad info about Phil he was a good friend from way back I have passed the sad news on to one or two old work colleagues of Phils from the council days he was a very well liked man and I have some fond memories of our times together over many years school and work once again thank you and TAKE CARE JACK H.

hiya, i didn't know philip but i worked on some jobs where his father tommy was foreman namely low edges estate, and the last job was over totley top,i remember this job and was working saturday,around half past eleven it started to rain so tommy said early dinner lads and we will see if rain stops,into the pub for lunch, well all the time until about 1 oclock one or another was rain spotting, anyhow tommy said if it was too heavy he would rain us off for the day, anyhow it was only light drizzle so we carried on, we were building a stone wall by the little cottages, when our foreman jack bradbury saw the wall he said my god it looks as if a drunks built it, he didn't work on the saturday,

Edited by willybite

I lived in Hodgson street from 1947 to 1958. We lived at 4Court 1 House Hodgson Street. Grandma Wild and Auntie Evelyn lived at number 12. It was just through the entry to Hodgson Street opposite St. Silas school. Mr Fovague was a teacher when I was there and Mr Hill was the headmaster. I had just become captain of the boy's rounders team when we were relocated to Tithe Barn Avenue in Woodhouse. It was a two storey building with bomb damaged land behind it. I never knew that the school itself was damaged during the blitz but a kerb edge from Button Lane fell through Grandma's roof and through her bed and into the cellar. Luckily she was in a Morrison shelter at the time. There were 3 of us at the school:- my sister Ann Wild(born 1943) now sadly dead, my elder brother Alan (born 1945) and myself Raymond (born 1947).

Edited by Bald Eagle

Hi Bald Eagle,

If you were born in 1947 and went to St Silas then you must have been in the same class as me. I can remember a Raymond Price. Could that be you? My name was Pat Owen.

Pat

Hi Bald Eagle,

If you were born in 1947 and went to St Silas then you must have been in the same class as me. I can remember a Raymond Price. Could that be you? My name was Pat Owen.

Pat

No Pat I was/am Ray Wild. Unfortunately, after all these years, I only remember one or two folk but not you. :sad:

Remember, Linda Hall (lived at number 6 in our courtyard), Ray Price, Lois Lambert. Will try to dredge others up from my memory!

Ray

Hi Bald Eagle,

Story of my life. No-one ever remembers me but no worries. Let me help you with a few more names. Susan Mullins, Christine Dawson, Margaret Billard, Jimmy Elwes, Graham Bland, Margaret Siddall, Linda Carnell, Elaine Ashton, Albert Price, Michael Yellott, Carol Whiting, Gary Rhodes, Glyn Prout, Susan Weightman, June Leary, Linda Hall, Ray Price and Lois Lambert you've mentioned. I know there were about 32 in our class so there are still some names missing. Albert Price, who died a couple of years ago, gave me a really long list of everyones names. I knew I should have kept it.

Do you remember Hedley Briers who came into our class for a very short time. I found him on Friends Reunited. He was a bit up-market for our school but a nice lad I recall. It's a name you don't easily forget as I have never ever known another Hedley throughout my lifetime.

Pat

Albert Price dead! Good lord that's a shock! We were best mates up until we were sent different ways when our slums in Hodgson Street were knocked down. Last time I saw him he was a paviour and was working on the road that runs from Pond Street bus station to Fitzalan Square. Hope these places still exist! I left Sheffield in 1976 and I'm typing this in Finistere in France.