Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

Hi Rum Do,

That name does ring a bell with me. What year was she born and whereabouts did she live?

Grannypat

Hi again, barely been on for over a year. Pm sent to ambogran

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 10:51 ----------

Hi Blacklist

I remember your mum very well she was a very close friend of my late wife Pat Marsden who passed away on our son's birthday 6th.April 2001 we had been married 37 years. Along with other friends we all use to hang out at the Disc Jockey, i did have a photo of Margaret and Pat stood alongside the juke box in the Disc Jockey wonderful and marvelous days not forgetting the Locarno Ballroom which is now a Sainsbury's all those happy days to be ruined by the slum clearance. Please remember me to your mum my name is Roy. By the way i was talking to your mum's cousin Ken Randell last Friday.

Cheers

ROY

My mother has read what you said and ken says he keeps seeing you and she is sorry to hear about pat. Ill keep checking this thread every now and then also on her behalf.

Thanks

Hi my late wife Susan Beal (Nee Hague) was at this school her parents were George and Gertrude. does any one remember her she told me a lot of her friends names but I have forgotten them.

Hi rum do. I knew your late wife, Susan, I was a bridesmaid at her wedding. Gertie Hague was my godmother ! What a small world.

---------- Post added 11-07-2013 at 19:29 ----------

I went to St Silas school in the 60's. We lived at 19/4 Hodgson Street before the slum clearance. My parents were Jean & Norman Walch, my grandparents were Elsie & Sidney Hoyle and Maud & William Walch (sadly all no longer with us) They all lived in the area. i hope someone remembers any of them.

Edited by Piglet84

Its nice to see my fathers name mentioned in these posts as he is no longer with us. His name was Eric Hancock, son of Eric & Flo.

As I've mentioned many posts ago I went to St Silas in the 70's.

My mother went to St Silas school and remembers an event that took place at the Cutlers hall that was arranged by schools called the Doll Show. This was about 1937 /38.

Does anyone else remember this?

Edited by abbeyedges
additional text

H Vera ,yes I do remember Mrs Harrison ,I cant recall the class I was in -I was only there for a year then we moved to Woodhouse. Ive tried to remember my classmates but can only recall Rita Gambles (deceased ,sadly )I loved Greystones & think I would have done well there ,but it wasnt possible .We had an Art Teacher Mr.Gordon ?1959-60 time .Do you remember me?

---------- Post added 25-02-2013 at 21:30 ----------

Hello son of Magaret Futter ,Ive only just found this forum & really hope this messge gets to you .My name is Anne Mansfield & I remember your mum & all the things you wrote about .i would love to get in touch with Margaret & talk over old times .Here,s hoping .[/QUO

---------- Post added 25-09-2013 at 22:15 ----------

Hi son of Margaret Futter. Only just found Forum after entering Mums name on Sept 22 which I always think of as her birthday, correct or not? I am Jacqueline nee Somerset and loved at 12/1 Hodgson Street. Your Mum and I were friends for many years and had some super times together. Would love to get in touch again to discuss old times and what's napped in between times

Hi yes she would like the same. Please feel free to send me a private message and ill pass on her number or something

this was bill coe he worked from parkhead depot.

anybody remember a frank harris who went to st silas, i've been going to the arc centre and had chance to chat to him there he lived on egerton st

when he was a boy, he's around 70 yo, and lives on netherthorpe now but he remembered a lot of names from our district.

hi willybite

the next time you see frank harris, ask him if he remembers me frank Williamson and is he still a snappy dresser.he may also remember feetham, lish, vic howson,dennis, all from the brickies, on Hereford st. and glad to hear he is still alive and kicking

do remember pauline saxton billy shaw dave hartly they all lived in the street

hiya

the names I remember were billy shore and shiela saxton they were cousins.

My granddad John Hall used to be the caretaker of St Silas school in the 30,s. He lived in a house on the opposite corner to the school. My mum Florence went to school there & my grandma worked at Pickerings cardboard box factory. All the Hall family lived in that area

Hello.

I am Alan Smith b.1943. and lived at 16/3 Hodgson Street near the Star Picture House. We lived just slightly up and across from the Mission Hall.(Sunday School)

Mum and Dad were Alice and Hughie Smith who drank in 'The Sheldon'

Our neighbours were the Horsfield's, Clovers, Wraggs, Healds, Frances, Dunworths

Hi everyone, I'm from a big family that lived on William street, I've enjoyed reading all these posts,we all went to Springfield School [springonions] Does anyone know what the pub was called halfway along Moore street? I think the nick name was top o'lane as it was on the corner of the lane that led to the bottom of Clarence street /Ecclesall road.

I worked for a short time at Pickerings, they used to sack all the girls once they got to 18 so they didn't have to pay the full wage, Im only 5'2" and they put me to work on the 'big bender' I had to climb on top of the blinking thing and adjust the settings then shove cardboard through it that was bigger than me lol, I'd go home covered in red velvet dust if they'd been making posh cutlery boxes, unbeknownst to me at the time, my husband 'to be' worked upstairs on the guillotine.

Thanks for these lovely memories.

Edited by K1P1
added more info.