Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

Hi Blacklist

I remember your mum very well she was a very close friend of my late wife Pat Marsden who passed away on our son's birthday 6th.April 2001 we had been married 37 years. Along with other friends we all use to hang out at the Disc Jockey, i did have a photo of Margaret and Pat stood alongside the juke box in the Disc Jockey wonderful and marvelous days not forgetting the Locarno Ballroom which is now a Sainsbury's all those happy days to be ruined by the slum clearance. Please remember me to your mum my name is Roy. By the way i was talking to your mum's cousin Ken Randell last Friday.

Cheers

ROY

did your wife go to Greystones School, I remember a Pat Marsden from there. I went to Pomona St. then to Greystones. We lived at Hunters Bar, and my grandma had as shop next to the Brunswick pub in Thomas Street

Hi Vera

My wife did attend Greystone school so did my sister and brother Jaqueline and Harry Hellewell.

Cheers

I lived at 61 headford street and my family were the webster family. I was their daughter dawn. The Hancocks lived two doors away frm us. tHE FATHER WAS eRIC mother Flo son Eric and daughters Sylvia,June and Sonia.Yhe Gallagher family lived next to the chip shop Jim was the father,mother Rosie sons Terry Peter and I think the younger son was Brian and two daughters,Maureen the eldest and Brenda who was the same age as me born 1943/44.The Hibberds were related to the Charlesworths who lived on Egerton Lane.The eades had one son I think called Billy.

do remember pauline saxton billy shaw dave hartly they all lived in the street

Hello,I hope im not too late _ ive only just found the forum .My name is anne mansfield ,I was born in 1944 at 8court 1 Young st.A double entry back to back .Later we moved to 41 Hodgson St.I certainly do remember st Silas ! Not many good memories except Flower day & may queens .I thought my childhood was lost until I found George Cunningham,s books which I love .Now I find loads of people I remember on sheffield forum !Ok here goes -our neighbours were ,the Marsdens ,my then best pal Pat ( so sorry to read of her death ) her brothers Dennis ,pete & mike .Mrs.Dean lived in our yard too.I was at school with you Dawn Webster (& you wed Roger Hatton !) Rita Gambles died too & Philip Hatton -he was our next door nieghbour on Hodgson st .Hello margaret Futter & Pete Dutton .Yes I too remember teacher Askham ,headmaster Hill ( who caned me 5 days in a row ,for " dumb Insolence " both hands ,) miss naylor ,Kindly Mr Forvargue, who read Treasure Island to us ( & so began my love of R.L.Stevenson )Phew -I need a cuppa.

morning vera ,Yes I did ,What a change from st silas .I,d no idea school could be enjoyable .Did you go ? Im not recalling your name ,sorry.

I went to Greystones school, do you remember Mrs Harrison I was in her class, I lived at Hunters Bar, my maiden name was Hardwick, my Gran had a news agents shop in Thomas Street next to the Brunswick Pub. My friend Susan Hardy lived on Hodgson Street. I also had a sister called Rita who also went to the school.

H Vera ,yes I do remember Mrs Harrison ,I cant recall the class I was in -I was only there for a year then we moved to Woodhouse. Ive tried to remember my classmates but can only recall Rita Gambles (deceased ,sadly )I loved Greystones & think I would have done well there ,but it wasnt possible .We had an Art Teacher Mr.Gordon ?1959-60 time .Do you remember me?

---------- Post added 25-02-2013 at 21:30 ----------

Hello i am the son of a lady who used to live on Hodgson street for who i am typing this. Her name was Margaret Futter, daughter of Samuel and Minnie Futter, with an older sister Rita. She lived at number 74 and went to St Silas school and remembers the teachers Mr Fovargue, Mr Hill the head, Mrs Housley and others such as Miss Naylor, Miss Rathbone and Mr Wilson.

She remembers old school friends such as Roger Hatton, Dawn Webster, Peter Dutton, David Lee, Arthur McLarence, Jean Hancock, Elaine Bland, Rita Bower, Anne Mansfield, Rita Gambles who sadly she heard passed away some years ago now. She also remembers the Marsden family who lived in the yard opposite the school, the Adams family and their children, one of which she is still in contact with.

She lived next door to Mr and Mrs Jones who had a son Keith and daughter Marie, about when they slept in the attics and shout to each other through the wall as children. At certains times of the year in the cellar it used to have about four inches of water flood the whole cellar, and she would laugh about her mothers bottles of drinks floating around in the water.

My mother remembers Judy the monkey, who lived in the cage beside the chippy on Young street. In the classrooms at school there were always jam jars painted green for the flowers and when it was time for the May queen the older pupils would go around Millhouses and other areas asking people to spare flowers from their gardens for the May queens. My mother was the May queen of St Silas school in the 1953 festival of Britain, there were two train barers, Elaine and Susan who's surnames we cannot remember.

Can anyone remember my mother Margaret and her older sister Rita ?

Hello son of Magaret Futter ,Ive only just found this forum & really hope this messge gets to you .My name is Anne Mansfield & I remember your mum & all the things you wrote about .i would love to get in touch with Margaret & talk over old times .Here,s hoping .

Rogerhatton was your wifes mother called may and dads name harry webster if so l think dawn is my cousin my name is marie nee hargreaves we lived in the yard at egerton street a few doors away on the lane l was only 9 when we moved but dawn will know my eldest sisters barbara and janet lmyself went to st silas school my lovely teacher was mrs buntin

morning vera ,Yes I did ,What a change from st silas .I,d no idea school could be enjoyable .Did you go ? Im not recalling your name ,sorry.

My maiden name was Hardwick

---------- Post added 08-03-2013 at 19:45 ----------

H Vera ,yes I do remember Mrs Harrison ,I cant recall the class I was in -I was only there for a year then we moved to Woodhouse. Ive tried to remember my classmates but can only recall Rita Gambles (deceased ,sadly )I loved Greystones & think I would have done well there ,but it wasnt possible .We had an Art Teacher Mr.Gordon ?1959-60 time .Do you remember me?

---------- Post added 25-02-2013 at 21:30 ----------

Hello son of Magaret Futter ,Ive only just found this forum & really hope this messge gets to you .My name is Anne Mansfield & I remember your mum & all the things you wrote about .i would love to get in touch with Margaret & talk over old times .Here,s hoping .

Anne did you go to Greystones School ad di you have blonde hair

Do you know where your dad worked from, was it one of the depots ?

this was bill coe he worked from parkhead depot.

anybody remember a frank harris who went to st silas, i've been going to the arc centre and had chance to chat to him there he lived on egerton st

when he was a boy, he's around 70 yo, and lives on netherthorpe now but he remembered a lot of names from our district.

Edited by willybite

Hi my late wife Susan Beal (Nee Hague) was at this school her parents were George and Gertrude. does any one remember her she told me a lot of her friends names but I have forgotten them.