Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

The first Saturday League team I played for was called St Silas Imps - around the early seventies. I never knew their history but was told once that they went back some way.

St Silas Church was a beautiful church.

Allways remember new years eve.

Everyone used to go from washington pub and domino pub.

All little bit tiddly LOL.

But no problems

xx

Pooh Bear

Could you ask your Mum if she remembers a chip shop on Young St and if she can remember the owners name.

this might seem an odd question,but that chip shop,did it have a small monkey in the outhouse that was built on to the shop ? my aunt lived on milton street which is /was close to the school and i remember walking from her house to the old co op at the bottom of the moor in the earl 1950's, on the way back she would by me chips that i would hand up to the barred window for the monkey

strange,... but true..:)

The chip shop did have a monkey and it was in a cage on the side of the chip shop,come to think about it i think the chip shop owners son was in the navy and he fetched it home,also along side of saint silas school near swift and goodisons was a police box and when us kids heard the black maria we used to run to see what was happening.

The chip shop did have a monkey and it was in a cage on the side of the chip shop,come to think about it i think the chip shop owners son was in the navy and he fetched it home,also along side of saint silas school near swift and goodisons was a police box and when us kids heard the black maria we used to run to see what was happening.

me dad remembers the monkey he says if you got to near it would have your cap off your head, we lived on hodgson st, grandad lived on milton st nd my uncle used to be the caretaker of st silas school tommy dutton:thumbsup:

My name is Lionel Clarke and I was born at 180 Fitzwilliam Street in October 1944.I spent a year at St.Silas School before my parents moved to Shiregreen in 1949.I think Grannypat asked about Pickerings Cardboard box factory.Well my grandmother,Bertha Colley worked there,as did my mother Mary who used to line boxes.My grandmother Bertha was also married at St.Silas church in 1900.

Hoping this thread is of interest.!

When I was at St. Silas school the head master was a Mr Hill. Mr Fovargue was a teacher along with Miss Warren, Mrs Bunting, Mrs Housley and Mrs Black (or was it White)

I remember when I was in Mrs Housley's class that there was a boy whose name was Brian. He had red hair (is it pc to use that term?) and I think he had a stutter. I seem to think that something happened to him. I remember us saying prayers for him but I didn't understand why. I must only have been about 6 or 7 at the time. I never saw him again but I have never forgotten him and have often wondered what happened to him. Does anyone else remember him?

My friend went to this school whilst I went to Springfield. We lived on Broomhall Flats and I guess there was call for 2 schools when they were up.

my mother says they were called Spears who had the chip shop on Young St & had a daughter as well

Edited by denise50

Hi All

you all have lovely memories,I rang my mother & she has the same memories,she lived on Hodgson st & had a sister Annie & brothers George & Jimmy,my mother is Beatrice Garrett

if any of you know her it would be lovely to hear from you so I can pass on your memories to her

Hi All

you all have lovely memories,I rang my mother & she has the same memories,she lived on Hodgson st & had a sister Annie & brothers George & Jimmy,my mother is Beatrice Garrett

if any of you know her it would be lovely to hear from you so I can pass on your memories to her

hiya i lived on bath street not a million miles from hodgson st i went to the sunday school just round the corner of clarence st i went there from being around 4 years old until i was 8 yo the first classes were in the cellar the teachers would collect and bring us back home one was portley and the other had ginger hair,. a few years back i read a book by george cunningham the sheffield painter who lived on michaels rd and he went to st silas it is a very good read there are two, george cunningham,and more george, he names names around the area, the books are still in print.

p s i was in the same year as pat and terry parramore, and worked at laycocks the same time as harold broadhurst. there were the hunters eric; and gambles pat;

;greens, maurice, barry,; duckenfields, david, sylvia;lived around hodgson street;

Edited by willybite

Hi there mother remembers all the names you`ve added,many thanks for that,she`s also got the George Cunningham books as well as all the old Sheffield ones,its lovely for her to reminise from bygone days,she says she cant place you though,sorry about that,did you go to Springfield School ? she seems to think you must have,she didnt.