Does anyone remember St. Silas C of E School?

Looking on a 1905 map of Sheffield I noticed a school on the corner of Hodgson Street, Sheffield 3. Was this St. Silas School?

What happened to it please?

Looked on Picture Sheffield for a photo and there are only a couple of photo's and they show the school in the far distance...does anyone have a photo please. Think my Mum went there around 20's.

Cheers....

This is now offices, called St.Silas House. I worked there from 2000 - 2002. Not sure when it stopped being a school, but I do know that the guy that used to do odd jobs for us there was a pupil. I have some pictures somewhere, I'll dig them out.

South Yorkshire Housing Association had their offices there, in that building, about 20 to 22 yrs ago, so it was definitely prior to the early eightes, that it stopped being a school.

Hope that helps

PT

Thanks for replies... would be pleased to see any pictures Chris.

I walked past St. Silas House?? recently and saw someone who looked remarkably like P.T., who, like me, was tryin to negotiate all the roadworks and messy footpaths along Fitzwilliam Street. all clear now tho'

During the War St Silas School was badly damaged during the Blitz and had to close, and all the pupils were transferred to Springfield School on Broomspring Lane where I was attending, and it was closed for some considerable time after.

it probably was me, robbinabobbin, i usually "walk" that way into town / to work etc

and yes I have been having a nightmare of a time, lately, around there trying to get round the roadworks and excavations

PT

Please! do say hello, next time, robbin:- I don't bite!

(unless you ask me VERY nicely! lol)

no seriously, i am a very nice person, really!

I am not proud, I'll talk to anybody! lol ;)

PT

I asked my mum about this as she was brought up in the area and atteneded St Silas church, she said

"Yes I do remember the school and surrounding area but I do not know when it ceased to be a school. I am not sure they are talking about the same building as I seem to think the school was demolished."

Thanks for that Pooh Bear..... The surrounding wall of the building looks much older that that of the St. Silas House itself so maybe your Mom is right.

Dont like to ask a lady's age, but does yr. mum remember Thomas Street or Hodgson Street (sadly most of the old houses are gone now). St. Silas School and Springfield School seem very close together - guess that the population in the S.1. and S.3 areas at that time was very high. I know that there were back to back houses and courts of houses etc. My Mom's family were french polishers and Grandad had a 'little mester's shop'.

Pooh Bear

Could you ask your Mum if she remembers a chip shop on Young St and if she can remember the owners name.

St Silas School actually closed in1979. I left there in 1978. My father also went to the school. It was a primary school. It was bombed during the war but was still on the go.The head teacher when I was there also taught my father in the 1940's (Mr Fovague) He is still alive today.

It was a very old school and was revamped when solicitors took over it after the school was closed. It had pre-war outside toilets up till its closure with no sinks.

There was only 4 classrooms, a kitchen, an office, a library, a dining room, an assembly/PE hall & sinks in the corrider.

I remember the school with fond memories & was sorry to see it close.

If you would like anymore info I will be glad to give.