Is Sheffield Forum representative of Sheffield?

Bigots and racists, and Daily Mail readers (same difference either way IMO) seriously need to shut up I reckon, no one with more than 2 thirds of a brain cares.

Oh, look!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/table/2008/dec/05/abcs-pressandpublishing

It appears to be the second most popular daily bought in the UK....

Thanks for the replies. I'll hold off on suicide for the moment.

To holymoses, I would respectfully suggest that there's 'different views on the topic', and then there's this kind of thing:

"Its cus of idiots like you that this country is in the state it is, if your that concerned why not **** off over there and help out ?

As for mugabe we could learn a few things from him and get things back on an even keel over here"

Unfortunately, one of the unpleasant side issues brought about with the freedom of speech and expression we have in the UK. Then it maybe just frustration at the current climate of "foreigners first" that seems to get a lot of press, no matter what colour.

It don't give the whole picture of sheffield, there aint many posts with people asking for 20p for the phone box.

There don't seem to be many people wanting to wrap pool cues around the heads of the PC brigade, because they have been told not to say or do certain things.

And no ads for The Big Issue in any of the corners.

And on the other end of the spectrum, there are not many posts about people making millions. (mainly because they are busy making it)

The most prolific posters are those with the strongest opinions, generally. It could therefore seem that you have a high concentration of strongly opinionated people (a polite way of putting it) when in fact they are the minority. This is what I am hoping anyway.

Also a forum on the internet automatically cuts out all people who do not have access to or do not want to use the internet! So the 4 or so people that includes never get to have a say.

I've just skim-read the Privilege Thalambo thread and am now severely depressed.

The level of racism, idiocy, self-deception, and a complete lack of compassion or humanity on display from quite a high proportion of the posters on there is just incredible.

I love living in Sheffield, so can somebody please convince me that this is just a highly vocal minority of embittered whack-jobs and that I don't have to move or kill myself?

Thanks.

It represents internet enabled people between about 14 and 50 odd. Very few outside those age ranges I reckon.

The frequent posters tend to be those with extreme views and so it does appear a very arsey place sometimes.

It's well known that BNP voters and other nazi types use forums like this to air their views. This is a deliberate tactic to give the illusion that such views are widespread when of course in ral life, most people are much more moderate and reasonable as can be seen when elections are held.

I would say that the people who post here have a few things in common, they have access to the internet, time, and an opinion, which I would say a fair amount of people who dont visist the forum, would not have all 3 or maybe not even 2. And the people who say that people are different when it comes to the internet and off line are kididing themselves, over time the traits come through. I also find that on a forum alot of things can be taken the wrong way and out of proportion.......well except from your quote about mugabe, which sounded archaic.....

Shouldn't this be a general discussion? Or do you only talk amoungst yourselves?

How do you mean metaphoria, sounds as though you think its a bit clicky sometimes....

Shouldn't this be a general discussion? Or do you only talk amoungst yourselves?

Who exactly?

The people on the Sheffield Forum?

Yes :lol:

Bigots and racists, and Daily Mail readers (same difference either way IMO) seriously need to shut up I reckon, no one with more than 2 thirds of a brain cares.

Who the hell do you think you are spewing bile that? I read the DM and you comparing that to racism and bigotry is nothing short of ridiculous.

So you shut up, get your coat, and do one....permanently

How do you mean metaphoria, sounds as though you think its a bit clicky sometimes....

How do I mean what? I asked a question, not stated an opinion.

And I never said the word clicky, or even cliquey.

I dont read the Daily Mail, so i decided to have a look and see whos right.....The website does seem a bit sensationalist, with headlines like "Revealed: Police's SEVEN blunders that let Rachel Nickell madman kill and kill again" and "Like an 'addict returning to the drug': Archbishop slams Brown's plan to spend his way out of recession" and "Midwife avoids jail after driving daughter to school while FIVE times over alcohol limit

" and they are just the first 3 headlines......but what have they got to do with biggots and racists?,.....seems the stories are more like the ones you get from the sun or mirror