Where was your paper round when you were younger?

Mid 50s: Stradbroke Dr, Stradbroke Cresc, blocks of flats on Smelter Wood Rd. Smelter Wood Way. Mornings only, but including Sat & sun. for a newsagent in a row of shops nr Woodthorpe bus terminus. 7/6d per wk.

75/76, evenings, 13/14 papers around Dover Rd, Wilson Rd, Wigful Rd and Botanical Gardens Rd for 25p a week. Then moved onto another shop and delivered around Psalter Lane and Nether edge twice as many papers. Later did the same area in the mornings and by the time I left to get a "proper job", in 1981, I was on £8.50 a week.

I was once mugged by a couple of large dogs who nicked my paper bag I spent half an hour trying to gret it back I once had large dog smash through a glass door to try and get me and then there was the customer who swore blind that she'd seen me riding around her garden on my bike king over her ornamental urns and statues. Fortunately my boss knew I didn't have a bike.

Mine was on the Arbourthorne.I had about 50 papers (The Star) every day and the News of the World on Sunday all for 2 shillings and sixpence a week.But that was in 1964 65.

ps Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I delivered from the Northern Avenue post office (Allotts).Mornings were 9d per day,evenings 1/- per day,Sunday 2/6d per round.This was up to 1963 when I left school.I remember there was a girl also delivering then which seemed strange at the time.I struggled up Arbourthorne Road with the massive Sunday round thanking the gods for only one Sunday Times reader.When I started work as an apprentice electrician I had less money when my mother took my board. It always seemed dark delivering to the Arbourthorne hotel.I remember the joints in the prefab roads when I rode over them delivering.I was delivering when the storm blew down lots of prefabs.

Evenings and Sunday from the shop near Grenoside, down Halifax Road and the drive ways were two miles long(well nearly, they were the posh houses) and when I tried hopping over the divide the customer told me I had to use their front drive and walk up each one, Don`t know how but I always seem to be short of papers. That was for 2/6p per week in 1950.

Gleadless Valley early 1960s. Hut on Leighton Rd.

Morning and evening papers mon-sat. Sunday papers and money collection. And all for a quid a week.:(

Uphill both bloody ways aswell.:confused:

Got to read all the comics for free though.:thumbsup:

I got 7/6 (old money) 37.5 (decimal) for doing every morning before school,and an evening round after school and sunday mornings. I worked for Fourboys on Manor Park centre.

Mind you it was the early 50s.

My sack used to be so heavy that the muscles on one side of my waste got so weak i ended up leaning to one side. After a couple of years i was offerd a "better" job packing potatoes all day saturday for a fiver

Mine was at Walkey, but split between my younger brother, I did Walkley Bank Road Hawthorne Street and Storrs Hall Rd, great people great tips and good memories....

I only did evening Stars, from the paper shop at the top of Manor Lane (now a hairdressers). It was down Manor Lane, delivering to Vineys and the vicarage at the bottom, then up City Road to the little garage (where theyve now built some new flats), down the little gennel onto Norfolk Park, along St Aidens Road to Granville Road, then up Norfolk Park Avenue. All for a fiver a week.

I only did evening Stars, from the paper shop at the top of Manor Lane (now a hairdressers). It was down Manor Lane, delivering to Vineys and the vicarage at the bottom, then up City Road to the little garage (where theyve now built some new flats), down the little gennel onto Norfolk Park, along St Aidens Road to Granville Road, then up Norfolk Park Avenue. All for a fiver a week.

A fiver a week??? You struck it rich.

A fiver a week??? You struck it rich.

That was around 1988/89 ish.

Firth park crescent, avenue and road, Bevercotes road and Windmill lane. Hated those 'posh' and heavy sunday papers lol. £1.32 a week and an extra quid for delivering the Stars 6 nights a week.