Where was your paper round when you were younger?

I did my rounds from the Northern ave Post office on the Arbourthorne. 9d for the morning round , 1/- for the stars and 2/6d for the Sunday massive load. I delivered to the prefabs and when we had that big storm a lot of prefabs were destroyed.When I started work as an apprentice in 1963 my mother took my wages of £3-1-10 for the 46 hour week and gave me about 15/- which was less than my paper round money !!!!!

I can't remember how it was spilt up but I think if I did all the available rounds I got £2.10s for the week in the late 60's

Hello bazmanau, It was Stuchburys, Cyril was the owner I did the big block but had to meet him on St Johns Road to get the papers from his car because the shop was just being built.. That would be about 55years ago. Alan.

Hi Alan im thinking it was around 1967 when I did it, it wasn't a full time gig it was only when he was short and mainly on the small block. Good times. Barry

Hello Barry, Do you remember a girl who worked for him around the time you was there? Her name was Marie I took her out a couple of times she was a stunner, he didn’t like it and ended up barring me from the shop.

Hello Barry, Do you remember a girl who worked for him around the time you was there? Her name was Marie I took her out a couple of times she was a stunner, he didn’t like it and ended up barring me from the shop.
I cant say I do. It been a long time since I thought of this period. But can remember great times living on Hyde Park before being whisked of to Oz as a 14yr old.

I worked for 'Gambles' paper shop on Cliff street at the bottom of Club Garden Road. I had two rounds. One was London Road, Sharrow Lane,Sharrow Street (where I lived) and Broom close.The other was Cliff Street,Pearl street,Mount Street and Washington Road.When the tower blocks were built opposite the shop, I was offered Half a crown (2/6((12.5p)) for every new customer I could get. Naturally, I scived school and made a fortune(or so I thought)Up at 5.30 in a morning to be at the shop for 6 to help Mr Gambles sort the papers.When we had that massive gale in the sixties,Mrs Gambles gave me a  WW11 tin helmet and told me to get on with it.Saturdays were the worst after doing two rounds in the morning and two evening rounds you had to collect the weeks money, and then go back and wait for the Green'un to be delivered before going out on the round again and finally getting home about 7.30 p.m. Didn't do me any harm though.

On 18/12/2008 at 08:09, spudgun said:

Mine was on the shiregreen. I did the bottom end of harteybrook road from the shops right down to where the sicey hotel used to be plus all side roads. My star round had about 76 papers. I did every morning and 6 nights for £5 a week.

Old thread. New post....

Thanks Spudgun. My paper round, Star/Green Un and Sunday papers, was on Fir Vale/Barnsley Road and Firs Hill estate, working out of a Newsagent/grocers shop called Marshalls, on Barnsley Road.

Can't remember now how much I earned, but it seemed like loads at the time, if you consider I'd only have been 14 or 15 I suppose?

Brooks paper shop at the bottom of Well Rd. 1 shilling a round and 1/6 for the green uns. Up well to Sturge and Boynton to St Andrews church and back a different way. 

I delivered the morning papers for a newsagent in the City Centre called Figtree News. Did it from 1989 to 1998 for Mike and Shirley Lee. Walked past the other day and it was all abandoned. 

Wonder what  happened to Shirley and Mike as they were getting on a bit then.

On 25/02/2019 at 19:27, TimeBandit52 said:

Brooks paper shop at the bottom of Well Rd. 1 shilling a round and 1/6 for the green uns. Up well to Sturge and Boynton to St Andrews church and back a different way. 

In the 60's up until 1970 when I got married there were 2 wibbly wobbly old ladies who worked in this shop. I didn't do a paper round but, I used to go in here for birthday/Christmas cards etc., they were always very helpful and usually brought out the most expensive cards i.e. padded ones in boxes.

1956/57 newsagent corner of Carlton rd and Middlewood rd. cant remember how much i got paid

On 21/08/2010 at 10:04, spudgun said:

Yes they were. Always made sure i gave each house an xmas card. With 70+ customers if you got only a pound from each, which in the 70`s was a lot of money, it ended up a tidy sum

Was it Ron Halls that you delivered for. The cabin at the junction is summerfield St/Napier sy?

On 7 September 2019 at 08:19, DUFFEMS said:

In the 60's up until 1970 when I got married there were 2 wibbly wobbly old ladies who worked in this shop. I didn't do a paper round but, I used to go in here for birthday/Christmas cards etc., they were always very helpful and usually brought out the most expensive cards i.e. padded ones in boxes.

The woman who ran the place (not the owner) was known by all as "auntie"

think A Connie Evans also worked there but can't remember the two Mentioned.