Where was your paper round when you were younger?

The Daily Herald, where I first started following horse racing, my Grandmother, who was the bookies "runner " on our street, always backed Templegate's Nap(best bet) religiously. It was always one of the two horses in her VV and double that she bet daily. And when the paper was done with, it went in the lav or to the chip shop :D

Bet theirs not many people on here what knows what a VV is, Mr T.

Bet theirs not many people on here what knows what a VV is, Mr T.

My Grandma taught me, but I preferred a round-robin myself.I stunned her once when I dropped in on my way to school in 1961( it was my last month) and said put me a bob each way on Psidium for the Derby. She said, "don't be daft Lester Piggot turned the mount down." I said but Harry Wragg the trainer, has talked the French champion jockey into riding it." Oh well, it's your money" she said.

It won at 66-1 and I won four and a half quid, a lot of money for a lad doing a paper round for five bob a week.:thumbsup:

One route in the morning, on the Arbourthorne, top side of Myrtle Road up to Eastern Avenue, then two Star routes in the evening, below Myrtle Road down to Madehurst Gardens and then up to Eastern Avenue. (4 pack 2 and 4 pack 8.

Oh those hills and multilevel estate houses, with all the ateps and no short cuts! Fighting dogs and winter weather!

Worked for Websters that had the shop, so ran up a bill during the week which often left me with little on pay day. They got all the money back.

Christmas was good though!

Edited by trastrick

My Grandma taught me, but I preferred a round-robin myself.I stunned her once when I dropped in on my way to school in 1961( it was my last month) and said put me a bob each way on Psidium for the Derby. She said, "don't be daft Lester Piggot turned the mount down." I said but Harry Wragg the trainer, has talked the French champion jockey into riding it." Oh well, it's your money" she said.

It won at 66-1 and I won four and a half quid, a lot of money for a lad doing a paper round for five bob a week.:thumbsup:

Remember it well, The Head Waiter.

Mine was on the Hyde Park flats. I think the name of the newsagents Stutchbury.

I did papers in the late 70s for Thompson's post office at the top of Meadowhead. 90p for two rounds on Sunday morning around Little Norton. I also did Sheffield Trader which I think was fortnightly and paid 1p per paper.

Mine was on the shiregreen. I did the bottom end of harteybrook road from the shops right down to where the sicey hotel used to be plus all side roads. My star round had about 76 papers. I did every morning and 6 nights for £5 a week.

I used to deliver for Rounds paper shop on Woodseats, all around Woodseats, big hills, I did find a lot of short cuts, morning and might all weather's plus Sunday mornings for 12/6 p per week.

Early 70's. For Jack Thompson on Burncross Road.

I did the bottom of Burncross Road and Housely Park round.

I worked for Hadfields at the end of Avisford Road, Wadsley Bridge, you were paid 10 shillings for the week, 2 shillings per day, 2\6 for sunday and 2\6 to sell Green Un's outside Wadsley Bridge club on a Saturday night.

Hello bazmanau, It was Stuchburys, Cyril was the owner I did the big block but had to meet him on St Johns Road to get the papers from his car because the shop was just being built.. That would be about 55years ago. Alan.

I had a few. The longest one in terms of time I did it and length of round was for Frank Woolhouse in Heeley Green. It was a single round on weekdays, up Gleadless Road as far as Penns Road then over to Derby Street and all roads in between those. Weekends I did a double round which took me up as far as Daresbury Road. I used a homemade trolley to carry the papers on Sunday to save me walking back to the shop refill.

I had a few. The longest one in terms of time I did it and length of round was for Frank Woolhouse in Heeley Green. It was a single round on weekdays, up Gleadless Road as far as Penns Road then over to Derby Street and all roads in between those. Weekends I did a double round which took me up as far as Daresbury Road. I used a homemade trolley to carry the papers on Sunday to save me walking back to the shop refill.

I did my rounds from the Northern ave Post office on the Arbourthorne. 9d for the morning round , 1/- for the stars and 2/6d for the Sunday massive load. I delivered to the prefabs and when we had that big storm a lot of prefabs were destroyed.When I started work as an apprentice in 1963 my mother took my wages of £3-1-10 for the 46 hour week and gave me about 15/- which was less than my paper round money !!!!!