Where was your paper round when you were younger?

I worked for Whitam & warne, which was in the row of shops next to the Forum Cinema, my first delivery was the Magnet pub, then along Southey Green Road to Crowder Road, and then back along Southey Hall Road. Saturday night was Green Un night, so I got plenty of tips, but the Sunday papers were very heavy for a small bloke like me at the time, so I got a bike from Wiggy's and had to pay it off, I only got 12 bob a week, but it was worth my while at the time.

My paper round (1963), Started at Elstones paper shop,nethershire lane,lower shiregreen,up Bellhouse rd,then turn left,Oaks Fold, then down Mason laithe rd all the way to the Penquin,then the Ravine, If my memory is correct,for 7 mornings and 6 nights(The Star), I got 14 Shillings, Always remember getting paid after our sunday morning round,and spending 2 shillings on sweets and pop in the same shop.

In those days I thought I was loaded when I got my pay,(A Ten shilling note,and 2 Florins) :-)

I had that same round in 1970! only slight differences were 1) in between Oaks Fold and Mason Laithe I had a couple of houses on Oaks Fold Rd, and 2) didn't do the Ravine. I remember the guy in charge at the paper shop was a right grumpy so and so (big fattish guy with sideburns, cant remeber his name). Once I was away somewhere, on a trip I think, and he had someone else covering my round. He couldn't find the card for the round for the other kid so he went round to our house hammering on the door in a temper. My Dad, who was quite handy with his fists, almost slotted him one. The card turned up later - it had fallen behind a shelf in the shop.

Edited by sparkyfred

didn't have news papers when i was young, a man with a big bell just walked around shouting out any news

Mine was 1953/4 Parson Cross, Wordsworth Ave /Margetsos Crescent and Millnrow Drive and Road

Just over 100 customers

Twice a day, once for the morning papers and once for the Star.

Thursday special delivery 'Radio Times.

Saturday Green-Un Sunday I needed a wagon to carry them

Fri night I collected, all for 12/6 a week

Yes and he used to throw a brick at our friendly dog:hihi:

You didn't think they'd revive this thread dexter did you?:D

Mine was in Chapeltown, Station Rd, Thorncliffe Rows, Commerce St and Arundel Rd. Early '60s, got 6 shillings and 6 pence a week. No Sundays.

I bet you used to deliver my comics :hihi:

Mine was on the shiregreen. I did the bottom end of harteybrook road from the shops right down to where the sicey hotel used to be plus all side roads. My star round had about 76 papers. I did every morning and 6 nights for £5 a week.

My round was from Washington Rd, Pearl street, Cenetary Road, Top end of Sharrow Lane to Nether Edge.

I forget what the weekley pay was but those Christmas tips were unforgetable.

i used to deliver a free rotherham newspaper in todwick village in 1978 think the pay was 2 quid a week

Garthai,

What was the number of your house on Fentonville St., did you know Pete Elliott or Derek Nicholson, they're both the same age as me 80 so perhaps the left Fentonville before you arrived.

I got half a crown for delivering the Star and Sunday morning papers around Hunters Bar in 1942.

Mine was on the shiregreen. I did the bottom end of harteybrook road from the shops right down to where the sicey hotel used to be plus all side roads. My star round had about 76 papers. I did every morning and 6 nights for £5 a week.

Mine was in Woodhouse in 1969

Mine was in Woodhouse in 1969

I got 12/-6d for a morning round & a night round

I got 12/-6d for a morning round & a night round

that was per week.