How do I run IE in safe mode?

I am concerned about the IE problem so am trying to take steps to minimise the risk.

I have it running on `high` security, but I also read it should be run in safe mode. I can`t see how to do that.

Any help please?

use firefox

Thanks, but I`d still like an answer to my question if anyone can help.

I think you guys think you`re replying to someone who knows their way round a pc.

I am a total numpty who needs things spelling out in `proper` English.

So what does iexplore -extoff mean please?

Thanks for your patience :help:

Go to Start menu and click on Run*, type "iexplore -extoff" into the box, and press Enter.

* or hold down the Windows key and press "r", if you can't find "run"

I think you guys think you`re replying to someone who knows their way round a pc.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but that ^ is exactly the reason you should install and use a more secure browser

just make sure you have all the latest updates installed from Microsoft

and you will be alright. as usual the threat has been over hyped.

safe mode is only about the operating system of the machine.

get yourself some antivirus software and you will be fine.

Seriously, Internet Explorer is pretty risky and always has been for the more experienced computer user to use.

In the hands of a PC novice, surfing with Internet Explorer is almost a guarantee that you will eventually fall prey to problems that you could have avoided by using a safer browser like FireFox or Opera (My recommendation).

Be aware that you can install as many browsers on your PC as you wish, it doesn't mean you lose the use of IE.

http://www.opera.com/browser/

just make sure you have all the latest updates installed from Microsoft

and you will be alright. as usual the threat has been over hyped.

safe mode is only about the operating system of the machine.

get yourself some antivirus software and you will be fine.

That's the problem though, Internet Explorer is without any shadow of a doubt the most vunerable browser in use.

Microsoft has to constantly give it's users updates to combat these new theats, and Microsoft is usually slow to respond to new threats.

Even if Microsoft have managed to find a "fix" for this latest vuneability, it won't be too long before another Internet Explorer vunerability is discovered.

The best solution is not to keep Internet Explorer up to date, but to switch browsers altogether.

Thanks very much, all replies most welcome, I shall look at the alternatives.

I wish I knew more, but at my age its enough if it just does what I want it to do (mainly looking at genealogy sites and adding to my family tree, I don`t go on any games sites which seem to be particularly vulnerable)

Thanks very much, all replies most welcome, I shall look at the alternatives.

I wish I knew more, but at my age its enough if it just does what I want it to do (mainly looking at genealogy sites and adding to my family tree,I don`t go on any games sites which seem to be particularly vulnerable)

The trouble is it isn't just games sites that make IE vunerable.

This latest game sites vunerability has made the newspapers, but it isn't the first IE vunerabilty, nor will it be the last.

The latest vunerability isn't just an isolated case, IE has a long history of vunerabilities that rarely make the general print or tv news media, although they are well known amongst the PC community.

Minimo this article was written back in 2004, but seems as relevant today as regards to IE's security flaws.

http://reviews.cnet.com/1990-3513_7-5142616-1.html