Hallelujah - which is your favourite?

Heard it on the radio on the drive home about an hour and half ago and straight after it I heard All I Want for Christmas came on. It totally negated the latter song and I cannot get the former out of my head. I just bought the Jeff Buckley rendition off Play.com (does that go towards chart recognised sales?). I think its excellent and has been shoved straight in my 'slow' playlist in Itunes with other guilty pleasures such as:

Semisonic - Secret Smile

Cranberries - Linger

Creep - Radiohead

There is a light.. - The Smiths

If I make it to Christmas suicide-free. Will somebody buy me a present :D

Bearing in mind that the latest X-factor fodder will be releasing their version of Leonard Cohen's 'Allelujah' as a Christmas single - what's your favourite version?

Simon Cowell probably wouldn't rate it, but my favourite has to be the version my daughter sang for me a couple of evenings back, accompanying herself on the piano. She'd never played it before but just sat down and went through it the once.

Apart from that, I'd go for good ol' Leonard ...for sentimental reasons.

Bearing in mind that the latest X-factor fodder will be releasing their version of Leonard Cohen's 'Allelujah' as a Christmas single - what's your favourite version?

I go for the Jeff Buckley version myself.

I dislike the song more and more, I liked jeff buckley version but now there is so many versions it makes me wanna just turn any of them off.

same goes for 'somewhere over the rainbow'

I've heard it before, in the past:suspect:.....don't know who sang it but it's bugging me and I won't rest until I find out.....I mean, I'm singing along to it and I don't sing along to many these days so please .....who?.....when?:help:

Kathryn Williams does a nice version.

As for Jeff Buckley being overrated. His one and only album sold very modestly in the UK and US (peak album chart position #149) yet greatly influenced modern music.

It was adored across the rest of the world though.

I bought it the week it came out and loved it. I don't play it that often now though as if I want to listen to it I can just hear it in my head :)

I have to say it's Rufus for me, I think the song really suits his voice and performing style. Interestingly, Joan Wasser (AKA Joan as Policewoman)who is one of Rufus' backing singers/guitarists was Jeff Buckley's girlfriend when he died.

I have to say it's Rufus for me...

He does a better job of Cohen's 'Everybody Knows'.

Compare and contrast:

Leonard Cohen - Hmmmm.

Jeff Buckley - The most well known and best?

KD Lang - Excellent live version.

Rufus Wainwright - Love him, but he's an acquired taste...

Damien Rice

Sheryl Crow

Alexandra Burke.

You missed out Katherine Jenkins version, not a bad version at all.

There are so many versions that you could actually make a whole album full of all the versions.

That would probably outsell all the albums this Christmas if it existed.

I dislike the song more and more, I liked jeff buckley version but now there is so many versions it makes me wanna just turn any of them off.

same goes for 'somewhere over the rainbow'

Or even "Over the rainbow".

This is getting worse and worse. This thread should be closed for offensiveness. And now Kathryn Jenkins the Welsh soprano has had a stab. There's some things you're just better off not knowing.

Next week: Mr Tickle reads Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.

This is getting worse and worse. This thread should be closed for offensiveness. And now Kathryn Jenkins the Welsh soprano has had a stab. There's some things you're just better off not knowing.

It's not released as a single but on her album "Sacred Arias".

It's actually a nice version, and I'd rather have it sung by someone of Kathryn Jenkins calibre than any "X factor" winner.

I still say the right person won X craptor. OK her version of "Hallelujah" sucks serious amounts of ass, but blame Simon Cowell for that, the song's not even that Christmassy IMO apart from the religious connection.