"I saw a genckleman at the hospickle..." STOP THIS MADNESS!!

I may have mentioned it before but that woman, Laura, who is always featuring on the news, gets on my wires...

You know her? That Laura Norder. I want to start biting chunks out of my television set when she is mentioned.

LORE is legend, myth, story... LAW (WITH NO "R", thanks) is about the legal system...

(oh, and Drore-ing... no, it's DRAW-ing Grrr!)

Agree 100%; the "Drawring Book" book gets up my nose as well.

Its all just dialect. Personally I think such a variety is refreshing, and something we should appreciate, not something we should take up arms against.

'swarappened ter't Roman Empire.

There appears to me to be a strong undercurrent of snobbery in some posts on this thread...

Providing the speaker can make themselves understood and is able to convey an idea, a message, a thought, etc. does it really matter how they pronounce certain words or if their speech is strongly influenced by dialect?

Speech is verbal communication and providing it's understandable to the listener, then whether or not the listener finds it pleasing to their ear, it accomplishes what it sets out to do... Communicate!

worser no such word, and you cant get any worse than worse.

yes you can - worst.

Does this drive anyone else round the twist? Stop talking like 5 year olds for chuff's sake!!!! :rant:

And "sangles". Hold me back, before I commit a murder!!

The chav's have taken over the english language.

I just hate those people who say "a nods as good as a wink to a blind horse".

What they should be saying is......'a slight inclination of the cranium is as equally convincing as a minute movement of one optic to a equine quadruped completely devoid of it's visionary capacity'

Bloomin' chavs...

And can you believe I now debating with MB72 as to whether there is an apostrophe in the its :hihi:

It's and Its

When do you put an apostrophe in, to write it's, and when do you leave it out, to write its? This question causes more trouble than all the other questions about apostrophes put together. The trouble is that it's/its isn't one thing, it's two, or even three.

Here are some examples:

The disease and it's symptoms [wrong]

It's a fatal disease

It's fallen over

The University continues to update it's courses [wrong]

The French Revolution and it's causes [wrong]

The rule is:

It's is a shortened form of it is or it has (that's two things out of the three)

Its is a possessive form

Here's an example to make this clear:

It's true that the book lost its pages

The first it's has an apostrophe (because it's short for it is) and the second its doesn't (because it's possessive). So its visionary capacity like in your example is possessive and therefore shouldn't have an apostrophe.

Taken from http://dissc.tees.ac.uk/Mistakes/apostrophes/Apostrophes-Print.htm

There appears to me to be a strong undercurrent of snobbery in some posts on this thread...

Providing the speaker can make themselves understood and is able to convey an idea, a message, a thought, etc. does it really matter how they pronounce certain words or if their speech is strongly influenced by dialect?

Speech is verbal communication and providing it's understandable to the listener, then whether or not the listener finds it pleasing to their ear, it accomplishes what it sets out to do... Communicate!

It would be very interesting to view the results of your marking of an English exam paper; incorrect pronuciation is incorrect just as it is incorrect to misspell words.

It is not snobbery to feel this way or hold these views; if anything showing the written corrupt version makes them look even more ridiculous.

Texxers/texters is a horrible word, I worked for a mobile phone Co.I heard it all the time and it actually caused me pain to hear that word. I also hate it when people say infinity when they mean affinity.

Did you ever get texties insted of texts? oh and chip instead of sim??

My guess as to why we 've got this trend in the U.K. to say ' f ' instead of ' the ' or ' bockle ' instead of ' bottle ' is that television and radio have tended to glorify or glamourise ' Estuary English ' and the Cockney accent, " Know, wot I mean, me owld darlin' ? "

The other trend has been the Nanny State, treating its charges like little children.......until, eventually, they begin to think and speak like children.

I hate people calling me Duck. I am not or never have been a Duck, you can find a duck in Morrison's inside a freezer with their head stuck up their arse .

Oohh. This just cracks me up. :hihi:

I know, how insulting! Duck?!

I've been called, "Babe", by a taxi driver.

Sometimes I get called "Lovey", like I'm 15. (Ok, I do look young.)

I've heard an odd one, "petal". Like I am a dainty little flower. :confused:

Sometimes you really have to tune out on these slangs and focus on the keywords.

I was in a shop on the Moor and heard a woman say to her daughter 'Oh, I'd buy that one, it's got much be'er carryin' angles'

It's evolution at it's best. Makes you proud to be a Sheffielder dunnit?

What is a "Sheffielder" ? :heyhey:

It would be very interesting to view the results of your marking of an English exam paper; incorrect pronuciation is incorrect just as it is incorrect to misspell words.

It is not snobbery to feel this way or hold these views; if anything showing the written corrupt version makes them look even more ridiculous.

I trust that if indeed you yourself have occasion to mark WRITTEN exam papers, that you read them considerably more carefully than you appear to have read my post... Whose topic was VERBAL communication using SPEECH! ;)