A Sheffield artist named Peter Owen Jones

I have been in touch with Peter's daughter, and she tells me there were some cards of his paintings produced many years ago, but they didn't sell very well --and it was really hard work getting shops and stores to stock and promote them. I think anyone who has an enthusiasm for the work of Peter Owen Jones should start making regular visits to art and similar shops (esp ones trying to promote Sheffield --like Sheffield Scene) and asking if they stock any of Peter's cards. If enough people keep asking, the folks running these shops might try to get some cards into stock, and we might be doing Peter's memory a favour --and it could lead to a revival of media interest in a very outstanding Sheffield artist.

....just as a sideline , Peters brilliant larger, framed pictures adorn most of the wards/corridors in the Hallamshire Hospital !, so i am sure the fanbase/ popularity of his work must be getting stronger by the day ! :thumbsup:

....just as a sideline , Peters brilliant larger, framed pictures adorn most of the wards/corridors in the Hallamshire Hospital !, so i am sure the fanbase/ popularity of his work must be getting stronger by the day ! :thumbsup:

Maybe they'll sell me one.The money could help keep the hospital open...:(

I have seen a reference somewhere which suggests some of Peter's paintings have been reproduced on calendars in past years.

I am the Peter's daughter and have been told that there was some interest in my late father's work which always pleases me. We used to produce many cards and they were extremely successful, however it can be pretty expensive to produce cards per card unless you print 1000's of each image.We had to store them as well as envelopes in the varying sizes which takes up a lot of space. We were expected to supply them in plastic sleeves as the card companies did and would spend many evenings folding and sliding them into sleeves, fastening each with a sticker. It was labour intensive work. However as our stock of cards became more depleted, we took the decision that it was better to put our time and energy into establishing the website, promoting the prints and more recently producing a dvd showing Peter painting. We would very much like to be able to have the originals featured in a central Sheffield exhibition one day.

Thanks for the lovely comments about Peter's work, we are very proud of his talent and always welcome interest in his paintings

Fabulous and very atmospheric work. Peter also does a couple of wet night time Sheffield views which contain the old Abbeydale Picture House.

If its any help, a couple of years back I bought a few of Peters cards from a framing shop in Attercliffe up the side street next to Banners old dept store.

No,its called Wet Night and its of Ecclesall Rd near the junction of Greystones Rd.

I just want to say thanks to Forum poster Andy D-can't remember his user name-for personally delivering me his print of Wet Night .I now just need 1 P.O. Jones picture to complete my collection-only I've no idea what it's called(it is a daytime picture with a lot of tramlines in it).Hopefully someone can help...:help:

Pleased to see that you have now almost completed the set, for they are certainly superb pictures, and I envy you. I am still searching for a number --the Brightside tram terminus is one that delights me whenever I see it, for I can associate with that scene from my childhood! I haven't looked back on this site for some time, but I presume you have been to the POJ website.

I bought 'Terminus' sometime ago, and it never palls. I absolutely love that painting and I'm not really a aficionado of art. I've got a few prints including 'Winter Crossing' by POJ, but 'Terminus is the one. I honestly think that the great Turner would've been proud of that, if he'd painted it. Some may laugh at that but that's what I think. A wonderful piece of work.

Pleased to see that you have now almost completed the set, for they are certainly superb pictures, and I envy you. I am still searching for a number --the Brightside tram terminus is one that delights me whenever I see it, for I can associate with that scene from my childhood! I haven't looked back on this site for some time, but I presume you have been to the POJ website.

The Brightside one is available on the POJones website but the one I'm after isn't.

I bought 'Terminus' sometime ago, and it never palls. I absolutely love that painting and I'm not really a aficionado of art. I've got a few prints including 'Winter Crossing' by POJ, but 'Terminus is the one. I honestly think that the great Turner would've been proud of that, if he'd painted it. Some may laugh at that but that's what I think. A wonderful piece of work.
I'm so pleased to read that, because iirc I originally found you the POJ site after reading your (hazy) memory of the painting? I'm really pleased that you love the scene so much. His paintings are so evocative of the time, and bring back so many memories, don''t they?

If his children ever decided to produce either cards or postcards again, I'd be more than honoured to stock them. A few years ago I managed to get hold of a few dozen cards of George Cunningham's Fulwood Terminus with tram in snow and they absolutely flew out!

Can anyone tell me anything about an artist called Peter Owen Jones, and whether there are any postcard type reproductions of his Sheffield scenes?

Seen them advatised in Forge Dam cafe.

I've seen Peter's work before, I think that it's very good. Who owns the print rights to the originals by the way, and the actual originals? Peter was a far more accomplished artist than (with respect) Scarborough, Gorman and Cunningham, maybe it's time for a revival.

I really envy the likes of Peter, when I'm dead the memory of me will last as long as my son lives, folk could very well be talking about Peter in a couple of hundred years time.

Don't let this thread die, Peter is as much a part of Sheffield as the City Hall. :thumbsup: