Perianal Abscess- It has come back.. help!

What do your friends say? Presumably there is no 'One size fits all' cure here.

What's the solution?

Go and see a doctor.

You've had all the advice. Just do it.

Edited by Rupert_Baehr

Waxfordski, that's kind of a weird first post you've made to say the least!

I had a perianal surgery 4 weeks ago and told today atheir healed( touch wood)the wound was golf size ball and about 1.5 iinch deep. The nurse is very experienced, she changed the packing every day for week 1, 3 times a week in week 2, and then twice a week in week 3 and week 4, 5 only outside bandage change.She gave me allevyn bandages and asked me to keep the dressing in and change the outer a packing if it gets soggy. The would was leaking foul. She said fiddling too much with the wound causes prolong healing. I was spraying the outer wound with dettol and drying it and placing the bandage over existing packing everyday. Nurse was changing the packing.

Dr gave me only one week antibiotic, which I requested more and continued till 2nd week. The maximum amount of co amixiclav 500/125 capsul allowed is 2 weeks anyway.

I stayed in bed for three weeks, no movement and pressure on wound, sitting a bit.

Week 3-4 Llight walking , was going out for taking fresh air.

Week 5 resuming normal activity. It's heald and (touch wood) completely gone only tiny hole and split pea size depth left.It looks like nothing was there before. Now only outside covering with bandage and no need for packing.

Additional help: stay positive, the abscess are caused by stress and flair with stress.

Diet:Lots of fish, yogurt , orange juice , fruit , green veg( yes lack of zinc in body contributes to the abscess).No skipping meals, three times a day large plate of food n salad.

Avoid milk, it causes pus, I drank orange juice with half tea spoon turmeric in it to

Fasten the healing gor few weeks.For bowel movement, took fybogel ( spaghula husk) drink so no strain at bottom.

I was so scared thought it will never go, but believe me it will heal soon. It needs care and dedication. I am 37 years old and average built, abscess are nasty but get cured. I have been reading online to change packing everyday for 3 weeks post surgery and was anxious what nurse was advising me but in the end it worked out ok due to experienced nurse. The surgeon tod me to keep the wound dry, I used baby wipes after bowel movement, first werk only hot towel clean then wore water proof nappy before shower, no baths .the nurse wipes it and uses salin water before packing it. Okay told me no more acking requred as the wound is inside like a pea nd outside tiny hole.only outer bandage is applying. Staying positive, less fiddling with wound and keeping it dry n germ free are key to keep this nasty thing away. Hth

Edited by Redsky77

Just googled this condition. Sounds horrific.

Apart from trauma/foreign object insertion, is there anything else people need to avoid so as not to get it?

Just googled this condition. Sounds horrific.

Apart from trauma/foreign object insertion, is there anything else people need to avoid so as not to get it?

I thought it was a pilonidal sinus on the rectum usually caused by an ingrowing hair. Seems its not.

Reason: I got this nasty thing because I used philips shaver and it nipped my groin area, it was itchy, I put moisturiser and ignored it, in 2 days it became lump , I thought its like a pimple, and used savlon anti biotic cream, did not know its nasty abscess, on fourth day it was painful and I called dr, day 5 it was golf size , day 5-7 hospitalised and surgery.

The other reason coud be constipation but I m nt sure.

I had a perianal surgery 4 weeks ago and told today atheir healed( touch wood)the wound was golf size ball and about 1.5 iinch deep. The nurse is very experienced, she changed the packing every day for week 1, 3 times a week in week 2, and then twice a week in week 3 and week 4, 5 only outside bandage change.She gave me allevyn bandages and asked me to keep the dressing in and change the outer a packing if it gets soggy. The would was leaking foul. She said fiddling too much with the wound causes prolong healing. I was spraying the outer wound with dettol and drying it and placing the bandage over existing packing everyday. Nurse was changing the packing.

Dr gave me only one week antibiotic, which I requested more and continued till 2nd week. The maximum amount of co amixiclav 500/125 capsul allowed is 2 weeks anyway.

I stayed in bed for three weeks, no movement and pressure on wound, sitting a bit.

Week 3-4 Llight walking , was going out for taking fresh air.

Week 5 resuming normal activity. It's heald and (touch wood) completely gone only tiny hole and split pea size depth left.It looks like nothing was there before. Now only outside covering with bandage and no need for packing.

Additional help: stay positive, the abscess are caused by stress and flair with stress.

Diet:Lots of fish, yogurt , orange juice , fruit , green veg( yes lack of zinc in body contributes to the abscess).No skipping meals, three times a day large plate of food n salad.

Avoid milk, it causes pus, I drank orange juice with half tea spoon turmeric in it to

Fasten the healing gor few weeks.For bowel movement, took fybogel ( spaghula husk) drink so no strain at bottom.

I was so scared thought it will never go, but believe me it will heal soon. It needs care and dedication. I am 37 years old and average built, abscess are nasty but get cured. I have been reading online to change packing everyday for 3 weeks post surgery and was anxious what nurse was advising me but in the end it worked out ok due to experienced nurse. The surgeon tod me to keep the wound dry, I used baby wipes after bowel movement, first werk only hot towel clean then wore water proof nappy before shower, no baths .the nurse wipes it and uses salin water before packing it. Okay told me no more acking requred as the wound is inside like a pea nd outside tiny hole.only outer bandage is applying. Staying positive, less fiddling with wound and keeping it dry n germ free are key to keep this nasty thing away. Hth

Hi I am looking for people who have a perianal abscess that will not heal but would be interested to find a way to stop this occurring?

I had a perianal abscess and 5 operations to help the seton move through the fistula created by draining the abscess. It was not getting any better until I made a change to my diet. I am looking for individuals with the same/similar problem who would be interested in making the same change to their diet as I did to find out if it clears up the problem. If you are interested please get in touch.

Edited by Kiwi68

Hi I am looking for people who have a perianal abscess that will not heal but would be interested to find a way to stop this occurring?

I had a perianal abscess and 5 operations to help the seton move through the fistula created by draining the abscess. It was not getting any better until I made a change to my diet. I am looking for individuals with the same/similar problem who would be interested in making the same change to their diet as I did to find out if it clears up the problem. If you are interested please get in touch.

since April 2013 I have had what appears to be a small abscess just outside opening. pus almost daily (not always after BM). some fresh red blood not quite daily (not always after BM). no noticeable odor. Mild discomfort and rectal aching. occasional sitz baths, keeping area clean w/ witch hazel, some neosporin at times. bowel movements do not seem to trouble the area.

7/23/13 went to clinic for rectal exam (dr said "nothing alarming, no need to cut") prescribed 2 weeks oral and anal antibiotics which resulted in little to no change in condition.

8/26/13 went to clinic for follow up and dr couldn't confirm fistula so wants to schedule an exam under sedation for possible fistula repair, fistulotomy, possible seton. (I am not ok with this idea). They called to tell me it costs more than $20kUS. which if I chose to do surgery, I'm not sure how I'd ever pay this nor how to make the time. I'm a business owner, if my shop is closed I do not have money coming in.

8/30/13 I remembered that I have had this condition 2 years ago, my ObGyn looked at it and prescribed antibiotics that cleared it up until this year. I called and am currently taking these antibiotics again which seem to be helping. Little to no pus the last few days but I'm achy down there... but I also weeded the garden and was squatting for about 2 hours and I'm on my period so right now deciding how I "feel" down there is difficult.

I am trying homeopathic remedies as well and am VERY interested in what foods I should be eating or avoiding. I bought a juicer and have been doing that for less than a week but love it and hope it's good for me. Kiwi68 what are you doing that's working? I'd love to remedy this issue as surgery needs to be the last resort for me.

I feel so sorry for people with perianal abscesses ,they are so painful . I work on a general surgical ward & come across a great many of these. Often the problem is caused by ingrowing hair follicles . But more often than not they have to be operated on & depending on the healing process , it can take a long time to heal . One of our Consultants recommends twice daily showers in order to speed up healing . We use Sorbsan to pack the wound because it goes gloopy on contact with water , hence the importance of showering. Antibiotics are important too & the patient MUST COMPLETE THE COURSE.

Hope you get sorted

Reason: I got this nasty thing because I used philips shaver and it nipped my groin area

You must have a right long beard redsky ;)

You must have a right long beard redsky ;)

Awww, that made me chuckle. :hihi::hihi:

Hi

Many thanks for your post, very interesting.

Kiwi68@hotmail.co.uk if you would like to talk further. I will login to the forum tonight if you have time to chat.

Kind Regards

Kiwi68

---------- Post added 10-09-2013 at 10:40 ----------

since April 2013 I have had what appears to be a small abscess just outside opening. pus almost daily (not always after BM). some fresh red blood not quite daily (not always after BM). no noticeable odor. Mild discomfort and rectal aching. occasional sitz baths, keeping area clean w/ witch hazel, some neosporin at times. bowel movements do not seem to trouble the area.

7/23/13 went to clinic for rectal exam (dr said "nothing alarming, no need to cut") prescribed 2 weeks oral and anal antibiotics which resulted in little to no change in condition.

8/26/13 went to clinic for follow up and dr couldn't confirm fistula so wants to schedule an exam under sedation for possible fistula repair, fistulotomy, possible seton. (I am not ok with this idea). They called to tell me it costs more than $20kUS. which if I chose to do surgery, I'm not sure how I'd ever pay this nor how to make the time. I'm a business owner, if my shop is closed I do not have money coming in.

8/30/13 I remembered that I have had this condition 2 years ago, my ObGyn looked at it and prescribed antibiotics that cleared it up until this year. I called and am currently taking these antibiotics again which seem to be helping. Little to no pus the last few days but I'm achy down there... but I also weeded the garden and was squatting for about 2 hours and I'm on my period so right now deciding how I "feel" down there is difficult.

I am trying homeopathic remedies as well and am VERY interested in what foods I should be eating or avoiding. I bought a juicer and have been doing that for less than a week but love it and hope it's good for me. Kiwi68 what are you doing that's working? I'd love to remedy this issue as surgery needs to be the last resort for me.

hello paininmy...

Wondered how you were doing?

Would you have time to keep a diary of what you are eating/drinking for a week, how much and when and whether it is raw/cooked?

Kind regards

Kiwi68