Perianal Abscess- It has come back.. help!

KatieB23

Thanks for info. No I had no packing after op, and yes after say 4wks outside healed over then swelling again then drained itself ! and again after say 7 wks yes swelling healed over and drained again !!

SeanOC

Yes i find walking and going to the loo results in leaking!!!

Crookesey

Thats a great tip, will hopefully not need to try it, hopefully im now healing!!!!!!!!

I've had these on my poo hole on and off for donkeys years, they are very painful. What I do is to soak a cloth in water that is so hot I can only just handle it, I then apply it to the offending area, don't worry about the pain, it won't be any worse to what he's got. This should burst the abscess, then keep placing TCP sodden cotton buds there, it always works for me.

Someone I know recommended filling a bath with water as hot as you can handle, dissolving some salt in it, and sitting in it as long as you can :|

Someone I know recommended filling a bath with water as hot as you can handle, dissolving some salt in it, and sitting in it as long as you can :|

Yes, done that and it works, however it's a bit more long winded for the same effect, I should have said that I also use salt baths.

I reckon that we burst a very small blood vessel when we're doing number 2's, we don't notice it do we? I've bought some of those new toilet wipes, just to attempt to cut down on the infection.

Can sympathize fully.

I've had 7 operations and once ended up in hospital in the U.S. - paying $180 for painkillers!!!

I've been alright since my last one which was last year, touch wood the area feels okay this time..

Hi The Twirler

am on holiday 5th May for a week and really nervous incase I end up needing medical treatment!!!

Well I went to the GP and after examination there is no re-infection and it's still healing normally, although I have been ask to cut back on the walking as it is quite red and inflamed.

He has prescribed Flucloxacillin and I have to go back if there is still discharge in a couple of weeks.

My blood pressure was on the high side, so he gave me a leaflet on hypertension, but as this isn't usual I think I was just worried about the outcome of the examination, which was done after the BP test.

He also said sitz baths twice a day would help, but I have been doing this anyway, although just once a day.

Quite relieved, but I need to take the advice :)

Glad to hear the news SeanOC

You probably already know this but try and keep it as dry as possible, except when bathing of course. :)

Take care.

Oh that's good news SeanOC. Good luck with the antibiotics :)

Another thing that may be of interest - my work got me one of these: http://www.online-ergonomics.co.uk/shop/shop-infopage.php?longref=1601~316~SEARCH

It's supposed to reduce "coccyx pain" - ie posture related pains, but I found that when I was all swollen last week it was comfortable to sort hang my bum off the back of it!

previously I would sit on my foot at work so that I wasn't putting pressure on the abscess, but would end up getting pins & needles in my foot!

On a similar note, I wouldn't bother buying one of these: http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/17123435/Coccyx-Seat-Cushion-Cloping-Wedge-Tail-Bone-Support/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:17123435%7Cprd:17123435

A complete waste of time. The cushion is too squishy so just squashes completely flat.

Hi The Twirler

am on holiday 5th May for a week and really nervous incase I end up needing medical treatment!!!

I was worried about this too - you might be able to get your doc to prescribe you a course of Flucloxacillin or Amoxycillin on the basis that you can start taking it as soon as you need to, if you need to?

Hi, just found this very interesting thread so thought I'd add my twopenneth.

I'm in recovery from a second abscess drain 5 weeks ago. My first occurred in 2006 while on hols in Spain and I had to suffer an excruciating flight back to the UK and journey home, then into hospital.

From that time I'd had recurring abscess flare-ups probably twice a year but fortunately these were treated with Amoxycillin. I know that in my case "my little mate", as I like to call it, comes back when I'm run-down and is linked to my general health. It's like having my own little barometer.

This latest episode started after a very wet and tiring outdoors activity weekend and the antibiotics didn't work at all. I was dreading going into hospital as I could clearly remember the painful recovery from the last time, but as it turned out it hasn't been as bad as I'd remembered. I was also worried about the Fistula (a couple of years back I had the MRI and colonoscopy to check for signs) as I was told by a previous consultant that this would eventually develop, but the surgeon took a look around while performing the drain and it was all clear. So, I've just been signed off from the district nurse visits and although I'm wary of infection everything seems fine.

I was interested to read about the salt baths and vitamins, although I seem to remember reading that the body cannot store up additional vitamin C and simply gets rid of what it cannot use.

I hope someone finds this useful, as I did the other stories.

Hi I lived with one for years not knowing what it was, then saw a doctor, I had surgery the following day, it took a few weeks to heal but then came back.

Again I was sent for surgery and ended up with a fist sized hole just below coccyx bone oooch.

This was about ten years ago and still it comes and goes, I have learned to live with it, if it gets bad sometimes I get ABs,the doctor always tries to talk me into surgery again but I can't afford to be off work for one and also it has been pointless so far.

I found a web page with best ways to deal with it if you decide against surgery.

Keep the area clean, exfoliate and don't slouch is the main advice.

This thread - It has come back... help!

Cause it makes me squirm on the chair every time I read it. :gag: