Perianal Abscess- It has come back.. help!

43 yr old fairly healthy male. Never smoked, hardly drink. BP in the good range.

Well i was operated on 6 weeks ago now for 1 perianal and 1 anal fistula and both were drained and thought to have healed well. Nurses only had half a cm wound to pack in the end, so stopped coming to me.

Now i notice some increased discharge compared to 2 weeks ago and back to some pain (nothing compared to the agony i was in before the op.).

I have been walking a bit and the discharge tends to start after this. There is also soreness from friction caused by this I think.

I am worried that the situation has flared up again although i am eating and drinking properly now compared to before.

I have had a lot of family stress and am jobless (have been for 3 months) so this might not be helping.

I was on amoxycilin for just 2 weeks post-op and only paracetomol after this.

Should i go back to get checked?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

SeanOC...it is clealy of concern to you so yes and check with the GP would be appropriate. If you have got an infection ...or the wound hasn't healed then better to sort out quickly.

Hi SeanOC.

Definitely get it checked out before it gets worse.

I have just had a similar problem and was worried that it had come back but it was caused by the scar tissue being very thin and causing it to discharge and bleed. In my case it was not too bad but very sore and inflamed and I was prescribed some Xyloproct ointment. I'm glad to say that after a week of applying this all is now OK.

Get it sorted ASP and I hope you feel better soon.

Hi I am in my 9th week after having a perianal abscess drained. Wound is still open and still leaking. I have been told it was deep and will take a bit longer to heal.

So I would get it checked if I was you !

Has anyone had similar experience as mine ?

Thank you all for your replies.

I will visit the GP to get an opinion. It is clearly going to take time. Worst medical condition I have been unfortunate enough to suffer.

I've had a few of these caused by having Crohns in my case. I've now been left with a couple of fistulas but touch would these have been very little trouble. I would echo that there is little that compares pain wise with one of these.

Hi all I would also echo worst pain I have ever experienced !!!!!!!!

Got an appointment to see my GP this coming Monday, so will update you then. The pain has eased a little today and I did walk too.

Was offered a job today at last, so maybe my stress will ease!

Hi I am in my 9th week after having a perianal abscess drained. Wound is still open and still leaking. I have been told it was deep and will take a bit longer to heal.

So I would get it checked if I was you !

Has anyone had similar experience as mine ?

Yes, me :)

I my abscess drained on New Years Eve (ooh what fun timing!) so that's about 15weeks now. I had it packed every day by a nurse so that it healed from the base upwards instead of sealing over leaving a cavity - is that how they treated you?

It healed quite nicely at the time - I was only off work for 3wks, and it was totally healed over in about 4wks. I took lots of vitamins and manuka honey to aid the healing process.

But, after a particularly tiring weekend in mid March it flared up again (it seems to happen when I am feeling run down)

My doc prescribed me a course of antibiotics but it continued to grow until the point where I thought it might need operating on again... then I woke up one morning to find it had burst & drained itself :gag: using the recently healed over tract for the bad stuff to escape through.

That healed over again while I continued to take the antibiotics but it keeps flaring up then draining itself now.

I have been told that basically this will continue to happen until I have another op to root around and find & remove the cause of the problem. I've got an appointment for a consultation with the surgeon but it's not until May.

I find that lots of rest, healthy diet, vitamins etc helps to keep it at bay.

I saw this article the other day which was quite interesting:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1376430/Manuka-honey-fight-MRSA-hospitals.html

My Mum swears by Manuka honey and bought me a jar of the really strong stuff (30+) while I was recovering.

This website is also interesting:

http://www.pilonidal.org/index.php

Lots of other people's experiences on there.

Good luck on Monday SeanOC - let us know how you get on xx

Wow, very interesting and thanks for posting.

I am so sorry for you that it flared up again after seemingly healing. Thinking maybe the same has happened to me.

I was worried sick when my problem started in Feb. My father was diagnosed with bowel cancer aged 41 and operated on, with the result being a colostomy. Poor diet being the main contributor. He was given 2 years to live when the cancer spread but lasted to age 61 before dying.

So anything bowel/anal related scares me. I asked for a colonoscopy to be done while i was 'under' for the abcess drain op. This was thankfully all clear.

Thanks so much for posting the links and i will buy some honey tomorrow. I have been taking chewable Vit. C tablets at twice the dose to help speed healing.

I will update on Monday :)

I've had these on my poo hole on and off for donkeys years, they are very painful. What I do is to soak a cloth in water that is so hot I can only just handle it, I then apply it to the offending area, don't worry about the pain, it won't be any worse to what he's got. This should burst the abscess, then keep placing TCP sodden cotton buds there, it always works for me.