RAF underground bunkers.

The only one I know of was at Harpur Hill near Buxton. It was used for storing bombs during the war but after the war ended it was turned into a mushroom farm.

Are you thinking about RSG's (Regional Seats of Government)? These were prepared in case of nuclear war and were for use by selected government ministers and high ranking civil servants.

sounds like the service men that used them

kept in the dark and fed on s***

If you want to visit an actual cold war bunker, there is one at a vilage called Holmpton near Withernsea in East Yorkshire/Holderness. On the surface there is the usual Bungalow type building. But once you enter and begin the tour it`s nothing short of astonishing how much gear there is underground.

I used to drive past it for many years and not realise what it was. (I used to have a static van at Withernsea)

Bawtry was one of the largest as a young Telephone engineer we used to install and maintain the Telex Machiens and the duplicate Exchanges.

There are many sites around South Yorkshire including Sheffield city centre.

I'm looking in to the Cold War era, and what Sheffield’s involvement was. Hence my reason for restarting this thread from years ago.

Can you elaborate further on where the sites in Sheffield City Centre were please?

tbh i dont think sandies posted for a long while? not seen his posts recently anyway

I'm looking in to the Cold War era, and what Sheffield’s involvement was. Hence my reason for restarting this thread from years ago.

Can you elaborate further on where the sites in Sheffield City Centre were please?

Hi markjgti6,

What was the old HPO on Flat Street/ fitzalan square there was 2 underground duplicate telephone exchanges and command centers and from memory there was another under the town hall.

I will try and find you more info from those who I worked with in the 60,s as you can understand that might take some time, because there are few left.

Apart from Bawtry I also went to Finningly and sevel more MOD Sites, but I have to check my status under the OSA.

Sandie

The most interesting cold war bunker is the one at RAF Holmpton three miles below Withernsea. It is three story's deep and contains a full command centre in case of nuclear attack. It has it's own hospital and survival system. It is now open for the public to visit, it was only decommissioned in 20000. Well worth a visit.

Norton airdrome has bunkers beneath. We used to play in them in the 60's.