RAF underground bunkers.

Reference to 'underground bunkers' used in WW2 to their subsequent use against the threat of a nuclear war.

In the underground cable chamber of the Sheffield Main Telephone Exchange there was a fully operational, 4 position manual switchboard to be used for communications in the event of a nuclear war. Also beds and dry rations.

There were regular 'observer core exercises' which linked up posts around the country.

A bit 'Dad's Army' but thank goodness they were never needed.

As a youngster i remember what looked like bomb shelters not far from Pitworth road school. There were a couple above ground bunkers and a few underground as i recall, with tunnels running around. Anyone else remember them?

Mike Slater

hi,

Bawtry was one of the largest as a young Telephone engineer we used to install and maintain the Telex Machiens and the duplicate Exchanges.

There are many sites around South Yorkshire including Sheffield city centre.

staffingpower.com

sentersoftech.

Talk of underground bunkers reminds me of wartime when in our garden in Woodhouse we had installed a wooden table, about 12ins square, on a post. It was painted green and was supposed to turn blue in the event of a gas attack. Happily, it was never put to the test. Is this a fanciful childhood memory, or does anyone else remember any such.

hi,

Bawtry was one of the largest as a young Telephone engineer we used to install and maintain the Telex Machiens and the duplicate Exchanges.

There are many sites around South Yorkshire including Sheffield city centre.

staffingpower.com

sentersoftech.

Did you cut and paste my post and if so why, if you have a comment then please voice it.

Thanks

So can u feely go down into a bunker?

anyone get any photos.?

So can u feely go down into a bunker?

anyone get any photos.?

We posted some links on this thread. If you checked them out you will have seen many photos.

We should go simon ;) i would love to see one. i know not much is there tho :(

Hi Lee, its me simon ;)

I have been to the Holmirth ROC bunker its not locked and easily accessable. The condition is ok but many items are missing. If any one does go please respect it and dot vandelise it. close the hatch afterwards.

As a youngster i remember what looked like bomb shelters not far from Pitworth road school. There were a couple above ground bunkers and a few underground as i recall, with tunnels running around. Anyone else remember them?

Mike Slater

Yes i remember them. i used to go to pipworth school and my friends and i used to play in the fields around there all the time and i remember being told they were old air raid shelters

Nice. i so want to go down into one.

Pretty sure there is a ROC bunker in Grenoside.Look in Google earth