RAF underground bunkers.

Is it true that there are RAF underground bunkers all spread around UK, what was big.. but anoth to fit like 5 people down, and people can actually go down the bunkers. but you need to slide the opening across... is this true?

if so.

were are the local ones?

The only one I know of was at Harpur Hill near Buxton. It was used for storing bombs during the war but after the war ended it was turned into a mushroom farm.

Are you thinking about RSG's (Regional Seats of Government)? These were prepared in case of nuclear war and were for use by selected government ministers and high ranking civil servants.

There are many old and abandoned cold war bunkers in the UK. The type you seem to be describing are Royal Observer Corps (ROC) bunkers. Plenty of info in the following links although exact locations are not normally given:

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/

The whole of Norfolk School's playing field (the old Norfolk School), has a huge bunker complex underneath it. There is an entrance still visible near the spring lane tram stop. Pity it has a massive concrete lid on it.

I remember donkeys years ago we went down in to it. Just a mass of tunnels will tiny off-shot rooms.

I would imagine its a ww2 bunker, Highgreen had two large ones. One outside the infant school now a new housing estate and one in the grounds of the secondary school at greengate lane.:thumbsup:

Had one directly outside our old house back garden , it's still there but full of soil and rubbish .

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/g/goldsborough/index.html

I was in this rotor bunker many years ago, Sadly its flooded now. The house you see on the pic is pretty normal looking i think it was known as a guard house. You go into what looks like a coal celler, this has an entrance into the bunker. Although this was many years ago i can tell you the place was a massive undergrond collection of rooms and tunnel corridors.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/c/conisbrough/index.html

This is also an intresting place, its not to far from Conisbrough castle. This was a anti aircraft operations room (AAOR)

there is a Cold War ROC bunker on Abbeydale Golf Course, just around the back of the clubhouse car park. It's actually marked on some OS maps for some reason.

Is it true that there are RAF underground bunkers all spread around UK, what was big.. but anoth to fit like 5 people down, and people can actually go down the bunkers. but you need to slide the opening across... is this true?

if so.

were are the local ones?

Bawtry was one of the largest as a young Telephone engineer we used to install and maintain the Telex Machiens and the duplicate Exchanges.

There are many sites around South Yorkshire including Sheffield city centre.

Hi Lee, its me simon ;)

I have been to the Holmirth ROC bunker its not locked and easily accessable. The condition is ok but many items are missing. If any one does go please respect it and dot vandelise it. close the hatch afterwards.