Onion bhajias- making your own ?

Any body on here make their own Onion Bhajias ? Ive just found this recipe & am going to give it a go:thumbsup:

2 onions thinly sliced

70g s/r flour

1 tsp medium curry powder

Half tsp ground cumin

2tsp tumeric powder

half tsp salt

150g plain yougurt

Mix all together & make into 8 to 10 balls, deep fry at 180c for 1-2 mins

A recipe for onion bhajis which uses wheat flour? Every recipe I've ever see uses gram flour instead.

Do let us know how it goes- I used to love making home made bhajis, just with onions, gram flour, spices and water, which works fabulously with mushrooms, potatoes, aubergines and other vegetables too. A great big pile of mixed bhajis, a few friends and some chutney and dips- really simple picnic food.

I don't have a deep fat fryer any more though so can't make them. This makes me remember quite how much I used to like them.

Don't make them into balls they take forever to cook and tend to be raw on the inside. Instead drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the oil and fry. They come out lovely and crisp and that's way nicer. Also use gram flour rather than self raising or you can use a mixture of 1 sr to 2 gram. let us know how they turn out. and don't forget extra yoghurt for the dipping sauce :)

Don't make them into balls they take forever to cook and tend to be raw on the inside. Instead drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the oil and fry. They come out lovely and crisp and that's way nicer. Also use gram flour rather than self raising or you can use a mixture of 1 sr to 2 gram. let us know how they turn out. and don't forget extra yoghurt for the dipping sauce :)

Ok I wont do balls;)

Ok I wont do balls;)

:o.........:hihi:

A recipe for onion bhajis which uses wheat flour? Every recipe I've ever see uses gram flour instead.

Do let us know how it goes- I used to love making home made bhajis, just with onions, gram flour, spices and water, which works fabulously with mushrooms, potatoes, aubergines and other vegetables too. A great big pile of mixed bhajis, a few friends and some chutney and dips- really simple picnic food.

I don't have a deep fat fryer any more though so can't make them. This makes me remember quite how much I used to like them.

They were rather good:thumbsup:, The first couple I deep fried were a bit undercooked;) but once they became a bit more "crunchy" they were rather yummy. Good recipe:thumbsup::cool:espcially with a bit of minty yoghurt.

Will try them at a later date with gram flour but s/r flour seemed to work ok.

My bhaji batter recipe.

4oz gram (baisan) flour * (four tablespoonsful-ish)

1/2 teaspoonful salt

1/4 teaspoonful baking powder

1/2 teaspoonful-ish chilli powder

2 teaspoonsful-ish lemon juice

Some water

Sift the dry stuff together. Add the lemon juice and water to make a batter that's easily stirrable/whiskable but not too wet and leave it to stand for a while. (Just like Yorkshires).

Heat up the deep fat fryer then dip your veg in the batter and fry. Drain on kitchen roll and scoff with minty sauce.

Lazy minty sauce.

Some yoghurt.

Some mint sauce in a jar.

Stir a spoonful of mint sauce into the yoghurt.

As Medusa said, you can cook any bits of veg this way. Whole button mushrooms are my favourite.

* I buy this from Shah's on Abbeydale Road.