Help with phone calls logging me off please.

When I'm on the Internet and someone answers an incoming phone call on the landline it halts all on-screen activity and I have to re-connect when the phone call has finished. Is there some sort of filter device I can buy to enable PC and land line phone to run in parallel?

If you have dialup then all this is normal if you have one line, if you have ADSL you can prevent this form happening by installing them little filters on the wall phone sockets.

People still have dial-up?! ;)

People still have dial-up?! ;)
We laugh but according to Sheffield Forum admin team, the reason we still in 2008 cannot post images here is because some people still have dialup! Hard to believe I know. If we were in France I'd understand, the country's still not ADSLed up fully yet but here in Sheffield...

yep u need a filter plug ur phone into one port and your modem/router into the other one

Cheers - I'll call in the shop where I bought all my kit and get a filter.

We laugh but according to Sheffield Forum admin team, the reason we still in 2008 cannot post images here is because some people still have dialup! Hard to believe I know. If we were in France I'd understand, the country's still not ADSLed up fully yet but here in Sheffield...

Loving the irony :hihi:

If you think Sheffield's bad, you should have a look at Ireland :gag:

Loving the irony :hihi:

If you think Sheffield's bad, you should have a look at Ireland :gag:

I thought it was good too ;) commenting on how bad somewhere else is despite the clear inadequacies of where we are now.

Sadly Ireland is very wireless so not much as been done for proper Tinternet. Great link, I love it how they're keeping a tally of s... holes without proper Interwebs.

I've hands-on, direct experience of BB in all 3 countries (as a subscriber/user).

France is a generation or 2 ahead, the basic Free package (Free is an ADSL operator à la Virgin, WiFi/router/TV box all-in-one plugged in the phone socket) is 24 MB down :gag: (and that's online speed-test verified with multiple US sites).

Britain hasn't made that much headway in the last 4 years (that I could tell - I had ADSL BB when I left the UK in late '04, just came back to UK and on ADSL BB again).

Ireland (where I've been last 4 years) is ...well ...if you're lucky enough to be in a cabled area (NTL, most of Dublin), you've only got contention to worry about, which still gets rather bad. The other operators ...:rant::help: