2 x converter, opinions please

The longest lens i have is a Canon 70-200 f4 L IS which for 99.9% of the stuff i photograph 200mm is plenty, but once in a while i do wish i did have a bit more reach. Now i have no intensions of splashing out on a new tele zoom so was thinking of buying a 2x converter.

Still dont fancy spending the money on a Canon one, and like i said it would only get used every once in a while for the odd pic or 2 at the most and if i did take more pics at over 200mm i would just invest in a longer lens, but Jessops do sell their own 2x converter for around £75.

At £75 are they any good / worth the money or are converters just a bag of <removed>.

I've got one of the Jessops ones.

It really does work.

It is swings and roundabouts though. Gives you a longer reach, but apparently reduces aperture by 2 stops.

I don't use it very much, so would consider some kind of swap deal if you have a spare canon kit lens or similar.

If you can run to it go for a Canon 1.4x or 2x extender matched to your lens.

I'm sure the Jessops one is fine, but if you're using a decent piece of glass (which you are) then you want a decent TC to match.

With a 1.4x converter you'll get a 1 stop aperture reduction and with a 2x you'll loose 2 stops.

The biigest problem with tele-converters tho is the loss of quality which in my experience is severe. If you really must get a converter then get the best you can but don't expect miracles.

from what i have heard the 70-200 is a really sharp lens and although there is a drop in IQ with the 1.4 TC the 2x converter is really intended for use on a prime lens. It will degrade you IQ and you will lose autofoucs as it will be at f/8 which only 1D bodies can focus with.

the 1.4 will give you an effective range of 280mm. If you need anything over that on a regular basis then i would suggest another lens. Hwever you will be talking serious money for equal IQ at longer reach.

The Canon converters are good as they have weather sealing and stuff to minimise reflections inside. I have a 1.4x but having moved to a full-frame body I've just ordered a 2x (£205 including special delivery :| ). Did that before my new years resolution of not ordering more lenses and things :)

With a 1.4x converter you'll get a 1 stop aperture reduction and with a 2x you'll loose 2 stops.

The biigest problem with tele-converters tho is the loss of quality which in my experience is severe. If you really must get a converter then get the best you can but don't expect miracles.

Late response I know, but I have a Kiron 2X converter. And it is pants with a zoom - I had it from my film days with a prime lens which seemed to couple better with it. But on a DSLR with zoom It's like ramping up the ISO to 3200 quality-wise, and unusable hand-held even with SR on the camera (not on the lens) due to the stopping-down.

By far a better purchase was the Tamron 70-300, which at Jessops is on offer at about £60 for the PK Mount but £195 for the Canon...really don't understand that at all... But even at such a budget price, performs far better than any of my other lenses with a converter.

What I would advise is not being too influenced just by price. On the opposite end of the scale I bought a wide-angle attachment as a frugal moneysaver for those times when I needed less than 20mm - all that did was persuade me to go out and buy a sigma 10-20 as having bought the cheap option I was really unhappy with it. The same may well hold true for a teleconverter.