Toyota MR2 Head Gasket

have a 1991 Toyota MR2 and i think the head gasket has gone. I noticed smoke coming from the rear left of the engine and then the temperature guage shot up followed by a ticking noise which got quicker the more you accelerated. It then just cut out all togther Any suggestions? BTW it started again last night after i left it to cool

If it's the head gasket:

check your coolant liquid, it will likely have discoloured

check your coolant liquid level, it will likely have gone down

Did the engine cut off of it's own? Did it cut off when the temp gauge maxed out, or before?

Yeah cut out with temp as high as it could go?

Ouch. The head gasket diagnosis appears correct, but note that any number of further components could have been damaged. You should have cut out the engine mush sooner than let it run all the way to the temp limiter. Did the fan come on at all?

20/20 hindsight: the first time you saw your temp gauge going past the 'normal level' should have sent alarms bells ringing and you should have tried to sort it soonest.

My £0.02? Don't start it again anymore, find the nearest garage that will sort it for you, then only start it and drive it to the garage on the day of the appointment. Avoid rush hour so you're not stuck in traffic with an overheating engine, and try to coast as often as you can (fully de-clutched) to avoid loading the engine. Have loads of distilled water ready at hand. Old hands may suggest the old 'egg' trick (break a fresh egg into the radiator filling opening, the effect is that the egg will bind with the hot water and 'insulate' the crack at the HG), but I wouldn't recommend it personally.

Just had the same thing on my bog-standard Rover.

Hate to tell you, but even that was £450 to get seen to.....

It will likely depend on how bad it all got before the current situation (how much damage done). The OP could be lucky and get off with just a reskim, or it's extensive and will be a fair wack to fix decently (DON'T scrimp and save on sorting a head gasket, or you're just asking for a repeat of the problem in a very short time).

Is it a Sheffield toyota then ? or are you looking for a garage in Sheffield to repair it ??? Whats this got to do with Sheffield discussions ?? must have caught the mods napping ;):hihi::hihi:

yes it is a Sheffield MR2 Hippy

Is it a Sheffield toyota then ? or are you looking for a garage in Sheffield to repair it ??? Whats this got to do with Sheffield discussions ?? must have caught the mods napping ;):hihi::hihi:
Nominated for most pathetic post of the day (so far). :loopy:

This has brought it all flooding back.My 1991 MR2's head gasket blew a year ago, had it looked at and it was quoted at £1000 upwards. Have to look at whether its worth the cost for an old car. Having said that i can't let mine go its still on the drive cobwebs n all!! Ilive in hope of someone fixing it for me.

It might be worth checking the oil too.sometimes when the gasket goes,it allows the waterways in the block to escape,and lets water into the oil,resulting in a light creamy sludgy coloured oil.just remove the oil filler cap and see if you have yogurt-like lubrication.oh,and like LOOB said.dont start the engine!! GOOD LUCK.

I've got a Mk 1 MR2 engine in good nick.