Sheffield Hallam University - Nurse training

Thanks for the replies..they have really helped. I'm not frightened of hard work..ive worked at RHH for 18 years!! so hopefully should be ok although im sure the stress of essays etc is the same for every course ..thanks again xx

You will be it all and know what to expect, I bet you will do great! x

i wouldnt recommend it i am asept 06 adult nurse i love the job but hate uni they are dis organised and have been ever since apparenltly new starters are getting the poor treatment we have been getting for over 2 years.

be prepared to travel 80 mile a day to placement...when i joined the course i was told that placement would all be in sheffield and that was a lie.

i have been in doncaster barnsley sheffield rotherham bassetlaw...i didnt sign up for that, lucily i drive but many students dont so they get up at 4 am and dont get in til 11pm after a late shift then get 5 hours sleep! fair enough it uni told us this at start but we were specifically told placements would be where you live. lets face it...when you qualify would you travel 80 miles a day to workl when you can tavel 10 and work in sheffield?

its a badly run course sheffield hallam have a bad reputation now staff at hospitals say how bad hallam students are its very unfair not our fault

so ....no dont go to hallam!

i wouldnt recommend it i am asept 06 adult nurse i love the job but hate uni they are dis organised and have been ever since apparenltly new starters are getting the poor treatment we have been getting for over 2 years.

be prepared to travel 80 mile a day to placement...when i joined the course i was told that placement would all be in sheffield and that was a lie.

i have been in doncaster barnsley sheffield rotherham bassetlaw...i didnt sign up for that, lucily i drive but many students dont so they get up at 4 am and dont get in til 11pm after a late shift then get 5 hours sleep! fair enough it uni told us this at start but we were specifically told placements would be where you live. lets face it...when you qualify would you travel 80 miles a day to workl when you can tavel 10 and work in sheffield?

its a badly run course sheffield hallam have a bad reputation now staff at hospitals say how bad hallam students are its very unfair not our fault

so ....no dont go to hallam!

God, it gets no better then lol! They must have changed the rules a bit now as they drill home the fact of placements not being always in your home city on the open days and pre-course days etc. I was just annoyed as they give up a space on Student Record to put reasons why travelling my be hard. See, although I am a parent, pregnant and do not drive I do not expect special treatment BUT why put a space to list these things anyway? I know people who have cars, no kids who all got first choice placement zone and Sheffield placements (obv only 1st placement so many more to go yet). Not that I don't think they should as I don't think people should be penalised for driving and having no kids etc but I thought the whole point was to help us out as much as poss!

Especially since so many of us want this, and for many mature students it may be the last shot at the career we want, it's a shame people will inevitably leave as they just can't cope. I hope I stick it out to get the career I want, I just am a bit bummed I have to wait a whole year now to experience life on the wards!

im not a nurse, but am thinking of starting a degree at hallam in Adult Nursing and was wondering how many men are there roughly in nursing or studying? i got no problem with women or working with women just wanna know how many men there are! also im told the course is intense and im presuming this is no understement! is there time to work as a carer or support worker? im rubbish with money and i wanna do the degree!? please answer i got my interview and im supposed to know a load of stuff and i dont! also is there anywhere else to get some real info on the courses. in the prospectus its totally like their selling it and i been working so hard to get into uni i dont wanna make a mistake! thanks in advance!

@duhkula;

It is obviously quite heavily biased in number towards women studying the Nursing degrees, but there are a fair few guys studying too. I very much doubt you'll be the only guy, put it that way!