Stupid Question - Car Audio

My car radio is dead as I was too rough prodding the volume button.

I've looked in halfords and it seemed pretty expensive as I only want a really basic one. - The cheapest they had in store was £60

Is there anywhere else like that to look?

Also - can I buy one online and ask a garage to fit it? Is that allowed?

thanks a lot :)

well they had cheaper ones at halford in the paper yesterday have you looked online, have a look at other threads on here about halfords fitting service.

You could try here - they have a Kenwood one for just over 40 quid.

It's often not just a case of swapping them over though - either you need wiring adapters or you will need someone who knows what they're doing to fit it for you.

Halfords have one of some unknown brand in for about £40... or a JVC one (I think) for £50 - I was in the other weekend shopping for a radio for someone else who had bust theirs.

Yes, you can buy wherever and ask a garage to fit.

What car is it? Does it have a standard sized "letterbox shape" radio already? You may need an ISO connector (but if it has a standard radio in , the ISO adapter is probably already there) and a fascia adapter plate too.

All this affects total cost and time.

But in best case scenario, as an example, a straight swap of a standard radio unit, It took 45 minutes from looking at the radio and saying "yep, definately faulty", driving to Halfords, buying one, getting back, removing the old one and fitting the new one. Fitting was about 7 minutes and only because I chose to replace the cage too. So if it's a standard radio, don't accept stupid quotes for swapping it.

I bought a JVC one from Halfords about 2 years ago for £50 and its still going strong now excellent value for money if you ask me.

If it's already an aftermarket one, you can probably just swap them over yourself...

I wouldn't recommend them...told them how to fix my central locking with a new alarm and said they could do it. Went to collect and said they couldn't. Took it somewhere else and sorted it so it was possible....Technicar were either crap or lazy.

I wouldn't recommend them...told them how to fix my central locking with a new alarm and said they could do it. Went to collect and said they couldn't. Took it somewhere else and sorted it so it was possible....Technicar were either crap or lazy.

I agree. I'll never go near Technicar ever again.

My car radio is dead as I was too rough prodding the volume button.

I've looked in halfords and it seemed pretty expensive as I only want a really basic one. - The cheapest they had in store was £60

Is there anywhere else like that to look?

Also - can I buy one online and ask a garage to fit it? Is that allowed?

thanks a lot :)

I just bought a sony mex2600 (I think) off ebay (not by choice) second hand and it's brilliant. £60, and it's got an mp3 player socket, a built in bluetooth hands free kit, bluetooth o stream music from your phone etc and a tuner and cd player and it's an increase in audio quality too (slightly). You can;t add an amp or anything in the future but it was perfect for me. If you literally only need the basics go with squiggs's suggestion. And between you and me mine was more complex then they usually are so I slipped a halfrauds employee a backhander and got it fitted.

I agree. I'll never go near Technicar ever again.

They're a bunch of you know whats. I always stand by shaws in millhouses/cartenkowle :)