MMORPG - Warcraft, LOTR, Runescape, Camelot etc. - Any players on here?

Guest Wyrd

A thread for regular players to discuss the games.

If you don't play MMORP games and think it's a sad waste of time, don't bother trolling the thread. The topic is specific.

I started off playing RuneScape but found the graphics too harsh and surrounded by 12 year old kids asking me to be their boyfriend. Weird.

I soon moved on to Dark Age of Camelot - not baaaad but very dated now, with poor graphics and not much of an Arthurian feel to it.

Then it was Warcraft (probably the best of the bunch but I've become bored of that one as well) and finally Lord of the Rings Online, which, for a big Tolkien fan, I found deeply disappointing and an American bastardisation of his work. The dialogue was noticeably US English, we had pumpkins and beavers featuring in the "Fall Festival", and many npc names spoke for themselves - Mary Lou was the worst I came across. Even Hobbit farmsteads looked like ranches.

I found the fact that you were allowed to choose your own name in Lord of the Rings Online annoying as well. It doesn't add to the Tolkien experience when you're in an inn organising a quest with Zzarxon, Loverboy16 and Iluvduffy.

What I'd love to see developed is a fresh take on the genre - perhaps a Viking/Anglo Saxon MMORPG, with a game system not ripped straight from World of Warcraft as LOTRO was. A system where magic use is limited if not abandoned in favour of combat and "questing".

How much time do you all devote to the game? I seem to become almost addicted to a game for a few weeks, suffer from burnout, and just return to it every few days to tinker with it and check my mail and the auction house.

Guest Wyrd
Try this thread.

Cheers. I've never even heard of Warhammer online. Apart from the old Games Workshop RPG.

Tried Warhammer Online for a moth but couldn't get on with it. I went back Warcraft and took a Death Knight to level 78 before getting bored.

I haven't been online for a week now. The endless grind might be getting the better of me after 3+ years :?

Guest Wyrd

Didn't you find the Zombie infestation a right royal pain in the bum? It was novel at first - quite exciting. But when it reached the stage where you couldn't walk from the bank to the AH without being bitten it became a bit of a joke. That's about the time I lost interest with it - I couldnt be bothered logging in whilst the zombies were active, now the addictive hold has been broken. lol. For now.

I played Everquest for a couple of weeks on a trial offer and I quite liked that, but I didn't like the monthly costs.

I play Guild Wars from time to time now, which has fairly simple gameplay but that simplicity creates its own complexities and most importantly it is very playable and fun. (Well I think so anyway).

Guild Wars 2 is due out next year and people are waiting expectantly for it. Guild Wars may start to die at that point as players rush across to the newer game. For the moment however, with no monthly costs I would still recommend Guild Wars.

I have played quite a few MMOs over the years. I recently begun playing City of Heroes again for a bit of fun (Issue 13 went live this week and has added quite a few new features). I have a lifetime subscription to LOTRO, and love the game (I think you exaggerate the issues you have with it somewhat - I'm a huge Tolien fan and adore what they have done with the game to capture the look and feel of Tolkien's world. As for players who have daft names, I simply avoid them - thankfully there are not that many on there as most of those who have childish names get bored and go back to WoW).

I also play Warhammer Online, and have been impressed with how much has been done to stabalise the system since launch.

I used to subscribe to Tabula Rasa, which was quite a decent, and fun game. Sadly the servers are closing at the end of Feb next year (although they are still adding new stuff right up until the last week as one final push against the Bane). For the final month Tab Rasa is going to be free to play, so my clan are all heading back for one last time.

I've tried Pirates of the Burning Seas, and thought it was okay, but not enough to convince me to stick with it. On the otherhand Eve Online is so amazing that I cannot risk subscribing for fear that I would lose my life in the game (seriously, I know I would become really addicted to the game). Warcraft was fun for a couple of years, but the obsession with high end content and raids (that push for that elusive purple) got on my nerves - and seemed to bring out the selfish attitudes in many fellow gamers. I'm more of a quester, and prefer low level teamwork. Thus Lich King held no draw to lure me back (one of my fellow guildies who felt the same gave into temptation and bought it - he played once and then realised that is was a wasted purchase).

Played Star Wars Galaxies and was impressed - then they rejigged it and made it easier to play Jedi in (as in, right from the bloody start) and ruined the whole game. I suppose that fits with the films really - start off great, then get given a 'special edition' makeover which turns them into pale imitations of their former selves). I am looking forward to Knights of the Old Republic Online (due 2010) which is by the makers of the Kotor and Baldurs Gate series.

I play warhammer online, it's a bit quiet for me mainly because I'm on a US server with all my mates from pirates of the burning sea. Mainly we pvp... alot.

I started off on Runescape probably about 6 years ago. Really enjoyed it despite the terrible graphics but possibly because it was a whole new world of gaming to me. Moved on when it got full of kiddies and started playing Diablo 2 online with mates which was brilliant, brilliant fun :) After that moved on to Wow which, despite dalliances with Guild Wars which wasn't really involved enough for me, has been the one I've continually played for 4 years now. I do love it, although the addiction is beginning to wane, mostly because, as Beaker said:

Warcraft was fun for a couple of years, but the obsession with high end content and raids (that push for that elusive purple) got on my nerves - and seemed to bring out the selfish attitudes in many fellow gamers. I'm more of a quester, and prefer low level teamwork.

Love the game but it does funny things to people and I've seen it turn many a top person into soulless, epixx hunting idiots who don't give a c**p about any of their guildies anymore. Nowadays I mostly play to keep in touch with the lovely friends that I've made over the years, and we group up for 5-mans, may do some 10-mans when we can but my ambition is no longer there really.

Looking forward to Diablo 3 as most of my wow friends are getting it so we may be able to have some net games of that. Otherwise not really sure what'll end up grabbing me after I kick the addiction to Fallout 3 ;) Oh man.... if that were an MMO....... *drool*

I played Wow for long enough then tried a few others, but innevitably get bored by the grinding.

currently playing wow on and off... more of lvling for expansion incase i end up sticking with it. Looking forward to star wars and maybe final fantasy.. might give aion a try in the near future aswell.

not played warhammer since the first month of launch.. might give that another shot too.