PC Help please...

My daughter had a pc in her room and it now does not work she thinks it got a virus and now just comes up fatal error when switched on, she has since got a laptop, and the pc is just sat there so we thought if we could get it going again it would be ideal to use in the office, I am looking for someone with the expertise to get it going again if this is even possible, i am willing to pay for this service i dont expect anything for free, and i have some other computer related stuff need doing as well for my other computer.

Please PM if you are interested and i will PM back my phone number.

Regards

Dawn

have you tried to format the hard drive and re-put a fresh copy of windows on it

that should sort things out

Hi not really that good with computers wouldn't really want to mess with it, and we are based in chapeltown north sheffield.

Thanks Dawn

if you google your problem and the error that comes up you may find the fix ?

what does the blue fatal error screen actually say

Here are the details. So, most likely the hard drive's got issues or Windows is up the Swanee - possibly virus-induced in the latter case but you never know - and may never find out. (Yes, it could be a memory fault or dodgy drivers et cetera, but one has to start somewhere.) The first step would be to try a repair from the Windows install disk - not an easy thing to describe in a forum but if someone wants to have a go then feel free to do so. (Better still would be a pointer to a simple guide on the Internet - the topic-starter presumably having access to that via the laptop - and anyway given her subsequent posts.) Failing that I'd inspect the drive with Partition Magic - maybe even Norton SystemWorks - both, of course, on CD. (The latter has a memory test so that could be looked at next - though, if you'll pardon the pun, I forget whether that element can run from CD or has to be installed onto a hard drive.) The last thing I'd do if there was valued data on it is a clean install - though it would be the second if the Windows install disc repair option failed and there was nothing of value on the hard drive - though even then I'd ghost the drive image just in case as experience tells me that some people only remember when it's too late. They also only realise at that stage that they no longer have certain user identities and passwords - be it for their Internet service or various web sites such as Hotmail - the last person I dug out of such a hole being so stupid that he's still not written them down in one (secure) place.

have you tried to format the hard drive and re-put a fresh copy of windows on it

that should sort things out

formating is for the pure novice and can cause more problems than u started with like stated above try to fix windows or eliminate other causes like try new mem / cd other drives / check all cables ect ?

formating will lose everything only use as a last resort