Amount of time it takes to receive summons

Can anyone help or enlighten me with a rough time scale from being pulled by Police for driving offence, to receiving court summonds please, its been ages and dont know weather to chase it up, or just wait.?

I think the police have to put into court within 6 months, but the court may then take longer to fix a date and summons.

Have a look at pepipoo.com

Yep as above,

However when you are reported in summons it doesn't always mean that the courts will take any action on the summons. Sometimes they will read the evidence, the offence, any reasonable excuse you give (for instance in a fail to stop rtc) and weight it all u to see whether it is in the publics best interest to prosecute.

If the hearing itself is over 6 months from the offence, its normally considered 'unreasonable' for someone to remeber what they were doing then. If however you have already filled out your excuse, or witness statement that doasnt apply.

C

If the hearing itself is over 6 months from the offence, its normally considered 'unreasonable' for someone to remeber what they were doing then. If however you have already filled out your excuse, or witness statement that doasnt apply.

C

i don't think that is the reason as that would apply to any court hearing and that clearly isn't the case as some take years to get to court.

However it is correct that the summons must be made within 6 months for most motoring offences and the police/cps often leave it until last few days to serve it so you may have to sweat it out.

The six month rule depends on thetype of offence. If it is a summary offence then it is true. However if the offence is triable either way or indictable it matters not how long it takes to get to court.

C

To add to my other post, it's not 6 months to the hearing, it's six months to issue of the summons. Once that is issued the hearing can be as far into the future as they want.

Incidentally, a bloke who ran into me on M1 on 5th June was in court today, 5th Dec.

To add to my other post, it's not 6 months to the hearing, it's six months to issue of the summons. Once that is issued the hearing can be as far into the future as they want.

Incidentally, a bloke who ran into me on M1 on 5th June was in court today, 5th Dec.

Do you know what he got?

Do you know what he got?
I just rang but they don't know yet. Can't tell you the circumstances until I know it's finished except that he was driving an artic and I was in a car.

Thanks for all replies. He was stopped in July for driving on provisional, no L plates and unaccompanied, therefore uninsured. Has since passed test and all legal, but waiting to hear from court for his punishment......Im sure making you sweat it out is part n parcle of punishment. he he.

I think the police have to put into court within 6 months, but the court may then take longer to fix a date and summons.

Have a look at pepipoo.com

Very helpful site thanks cgksheff :thumbsup:

Thanks for all replies. He was stopped in July for driving on provisional, no L plates and unaccompanied, therefore uninsured. Has since passed test and all legal, but waiting to hear from court for his punishment......Im sure making you sweat it out is part n parcle of punishment. he he.

Words like "book" and "thrown" spring to mind.....