Royal Mail

yeh we have been getting our post around 4-5pm too most days now. In london we always had 1 delivery a day, not two, but now that's been dropped to 3 a week! I don't mind it being late but its annoying when you are expecting something, and by the time it comes it's past 5pm so you can't ring anyone to deal with business stuff!

during the bus strike i shared a cab with a couple of (what i thought were) postmen. it turned out they were just temps, which would explain cazzaworld's different postman every day.

apparently temp agencies pay cheaper rates between 9-6, so many are just employed between those times, hence the late post.

it seems a lot of the experienced staff have been given redundancy packages. it costs less to hire someone who doesn't get holiday/sick pay and hasn't built up 30 years of annual raises, but i'd happilly pay 5p extra per stamp for the service to be as it was 10 years ago.

Got my post today at 3 in the afternoon, was suprised I got it at all. Our new postman is a convicted theif and mugger. How he got the job I don't know. Don't Royal Mail do background checks?

What I really don't understand is why the post office is loosing so much money to having to cut services. What is so different from say 20 or 30 years ago? Yes we have email now, but I really don't believe that can effect revenue that much - what about the effect of the Internet moving into the high street markets - someone has to deliver goods to consumers.

Why not get rid of second class post altogether - i.e. you would only be able to buy a 1st class stamp, surely wouldn't that raise more money?

Is this late post a Sheffield-wide thing, or just in certain areas?

I live in Hillsborough, and twice in the last couple of weeks the post has arrived after 7:00PM!!

It used to come any time between 8 and 10:30am. I don't mind it being a bit later, but for it to arrive when it's nearly getting dark is ridiculous. So what do the posties do in the day?

At least at 17h15 you get your mail, Royal Mail lost 3 of my letters last week!

It used to be that when someone said something was lost in the post you knew they were lying now it is only a percentage of the mail which actually gets delivered.

I cannot wait until there is a viable alternative to Royal Mail and the ill-mannered staff that work in post offices can all go to hell.

What about parcels? Any parcels aiming for our house get taken straight to the sorting office... humm i wonder why.. maybe its because at 2.30pm i'm not in, i'm at work! duh!

Now i get most of my post delivered to work, at least i'll be able to get it & take it home.

The sorting office is the worst place ever... they don't ever answer their phones, they are open really stupid hours and they never re-deliver it when they say they will... grrrr

Originally posted by al_partridge

Is this late post a Sheffield-wide thing, or just in certain areas?

I live in Hillsborough, and twice in the last couple of weeks the post has arrived after 7:00PM!!

It used to come any time between 8 and 10:30am. I don't mind it being a bit later, but for it to arrive when it's nearly getting dark is ridiculous. So what do the posties do in the day?

7pm is a joke. If this is the case then they are not delivering the service that they are supposed to be.

Originally posted by Mo

Well we were warned in a leaflet that deliveries would be later when single delivery was brought in. The latest mine has been delivered is 4pm.

I heard on the radio this morning that from 2006 the postal delivery service will be opened up to competition so we should see alternative post boxes springing up. Should be interesting to see what happens from then in.

We had a leaflet that said all first class deliveries would be delivered by midday,but it did not say which midday LOL

Do the temps get paid hourly? Just thinking that if they are then sitting at home for a few hours and doing the round later in the day could have benifits for them? Call me a cynic! ;)

Don't know about what time it comes at the minute but is always here before 3.30, am told about 11 this morning. While i was off during the summer it was usually about 10.30, and the same person everyday, though not the normal guy but he could have left/changed rounds. We are in Crookes.

Our post in Stannington varies, but most of the time it comes about 11 AM, well usually between 11 and 12.

Not that it matters, it's nearly always all junk mail or me Mum's book club anyway.