Sign in to follow this  

NUS Entitlements

I have just become a student at Sheffield College. I enrolled last night and was given a NUS/College card.

I just wondered if anyone knows of a website that will give me a list of places where I can get a discount.

Also I've just been on SHU website looking at their gym facilities but I'm not sure wether I have to be a student at the uni to get a discount. Anyone know?

I'm quite nervous about starting college as I'm 23 and work full time, I hope there are other people like me as I don't think I could cope being in a class full of teenagers.

Anyone else starting college?

Everything you need to know about the NUS can be found here:

http://www.nus.org.uk

Sadly, I had to wave goodbye to my NUS card when I graduated in Summer 2000 :( ... I say make the most of it while you've got it!

A word of advice: many shops don't advertise that they do NUS discount. So, when you're buying anything at all - always ask if they do NUS discount! ;)

i'm at shu now, but i went to sheffield college, and they have quite a good gym at the castle centre on granville road.

if you're gonna be catching a peasent-mobile into college, like i do, you can get a weekly saver for eight squids with your nus card ;)

Thanks for the replies. I do know about the college gym but as I catch the peasant wagon none of the sites are easy for me to get to.

I work 9-5pm and go through town on my way home. I know that SHU have a gym near pond street this would be ideal for me. Trying to get to castle and back would take far too much time.

I'm quite excited about becoming a student again, I must work hard this time around though. It's cost me far too much money.

I just hope the course isn't too hard, ooooo I'm so scared, didn't think I would be.

The only discount ive really used mine on is Topshop, Miss Selfridge and UGC cinema in centertainment. Its something like £4.95 for an adult but only £2.95 if you show your card. Unfortunately mine ran out on 31st Aug so no cinema for me til i start uni on 15/09 - not long to go! Theyre very picky about it at UGC though they look at it quite thoroughly and even if its one day out of date they dont let you in.

Originally posted by steelblade

I have just become a student at Sheffield College. I enrolled last night and was given a NUS/College card.

I just wondered if anyone knows of a website that will give me a list of places where I can get a discount.

Also I've just been on SHU website looking at their gym facilities but I'm not sure wether I have to be a student at the uni to get a discount. Anyone know?

I'm quite nervous about starting college as I'm 23 and work full time, I hope there are other people like me as I don't think I could cope being in a class full of teenagers.

Anyone else starting college?

Hi there.

What is it your studying? This could reflect on the age group I feel.

Chances are most of them will be younger but with you been mature you should get some amount of repect from the lecturers at least. Don't be put off with what people think. You are going to college to better yourself, nobody can ever put you down for that. Working full time and studying can be an incredible burden and takes lots of self-discipline. I wish you good luck.

I am afraid I don't know much about these discount benefits etc. but just wanted to give you some words of reassurance.

ps - How was the holiday? Did you go surfing? 8)

Hi Lickszz

I am studying a HND in computer studies.

I don't mind being with younger people aslong as they are there to learn not just muck around as if they are still at school. That was a problem when I did an A level last year. The kids in my class didn't pay for the course and really didn't seem bothered about doing any work, whereas this course has cost me a great deal of money and has meant that I've had to take a second job to pay for it, that's why I want to be able to knuckle down and get on, I can't afford not to do well.

It's going to be a hard slog doing two jobs and studying but I really do want to get a good job and earn enough to support myself without any help from anyone else.

The holiday was great. I didn't go surfing though, in fact the waves weren't very good. We had a couple of days good weather but it was mostly cloudy.

If anyone is going to Newquay and looking for somewhere to stay I'll give you the name of the guesthouse we stayed in. It was fantastic, lovely food, extremely clean and wonderful hosts. It was so good we are going again next year.

good luck Steelblade - i've done one year of my uni course while working full time 9-5. i too am paying for course fees and living expenses myself and i'm skint!

the hardest thing is not my subject but the amount of reading expected, i wish i had learnt to speed read at the beginning of the year!

This book helped me enormously. Get your reading up to speed in no time, and without sacrificing comprehension. Out of print now, but 2nd hand copies floating about in a few places.

Me too mate, starting Italian on Thursdays at Peaks centre. Hope there is some decent folks there. :o:?

any other suggestions for good books, like memory or anything else which would be useful for students?