Christmas Shopping - Ecclesall Road

Christmas Shopping on Ecclesall Road - Have *you* done it?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Christmas Shopping on Ecclesall Road - Have *you* done it?

• Yes and now I'm sorted for Christmas!
    • Not yet but its going on my list of things to do right now!
    • No I prefer playing sardines in Meadowhall...
    • Christmas Shopping?

Surely you can see that by preventing people (i.e. shopkeepers or commuters) parking on Ecclesall Road all day then the Council is trying to make easier to get a space?

The council doesn't stop shop keepers parking in the zone. They charge us twice the price they charge residents for our permits instead. Much as I'd like to leave space for more customers there is no viable public transport that would get me to my shop, and nowhere else to park.

ETA - public transport should be ok if you live in Sheffield, but I live in Rotherham for my sins :-/

What beats me is what can you actually buy on Ecclesall Road?

Take one look at the plethora of categories on Discover Ecclesall and you'll see there's more variety there than most places in Sheffield.

56 Clothing and jewellery shops!

35 Home/Garden related shops

42 places to get your hair cut (no kidding!)

116 in the Food & Drink category alone! (40 of which are bars and restaurants)

26 gift shops/books shops/hobby shops

17 garages

and 5 technology shops (how many plasma TV's do you need... Really...)

It's not hard to get to on publc transport, and for all the complaints about the parking fees, at least you can find a spot there. And it's worth it... This place has more shops than meadowhall...

So to summarise the first three pages so far:

approximately 2 people have shopped on Ecclesall Road

another couple have shopped in Broomhill

approximately 4 people won't go there because of the parking scheme

and at least 6 people have done all their Christmas shopping online.

From that it appears that the main competition is the web, but either way it doesn't look very encouraging reading if you own a shop on Ecclesall Road.

...and yet, the place always seems to be buzzing with folk and the cafe's quite busy at most times :confused:

Take one look at the plethora of categories on Discover Ecclesall and you'll see there's more variety there than most places in Sheffield.

56 Clothing and jewellery shops!

56 clothing shops, where ?

I can think of 10 at the most, there can't possibly be 56.

A tailored suit, a car, a house, a coffee, a meal, a camera, a television, toys, gifts, games, fresh meat, furniture, cards, fine jewellery, dress jewellery, watches, food, flowers, shoes, bags, curtains, musical instruments, beer, underwear, clothes ....

What are you after?

I am certain that I excluded clothes shops, jewellery shops, T/V audio shops etc in my post, a little reading of the content of posts before challenging them is in order, something that is all too common on this forum. :confused:

I presumed that the post titled 'Christmas Shopping - Ecclesall Road' referred to Christmas present buying as well as Christmas provision buying. I am attempting to imagine receiving a cup of coffee, a meal, a joint of meat from Tesco Express or Waitrose (or even the far superior Roneys on Sharrow Vale Road) or a pint of beer gift wrapped on Christmas morning. :huh:

You obviously move in far higher circles than I do, I trust that you will be happy with your house and car when you open your Christmas presents. :hihi:

Ecclesall Road has long served the more discerning element of the South Sheffield populace's needs, albeit that a lot of the better shops of yester year are sadly no more. The place is filthy compared to how it used to be, overflowing and overturned bins containing the rubbish of copious amounts of students is common place. The credit crunch will most likely put paid to a lot of the 'hobby' shops run by the wives of wealthy Sheffield business men as we start to watch the pennies. :sad:

I don't think that the likes of Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury and Morrisons will be quaking in their shoes at the thought of an Ecclesall Road Christmas shopping bonanza. ;)

I am certain that I excluded clothes shops, jewellery shops, T/V audio shops etc in my post, a little reading of the content of posts before challenging them is in order, something that is all too common on this forum. :confused:

You didn’t exclude them- - you said

What beats me is what can you actually buy on Ecclesall Road?

A Rambo knife, crossbow or replica submachine gun perhaps. Maybe some very expensive kitchen utensils from the shop down the road to go in the very expensive kitchen from the shop up the road.

I don't mean to offend anyone who sells normal things such as clothes, jewellery, TV/Audio etc, but Ecclesall Road is not what it was in the 70's, 80's & 90's.

So I answered your question. I missed off lovely chocolates though – sorry Cocoa!

I presumed that the post titled 'Christmas Shopping - Ecclesall Road' referred to Christmas present buying as well as Christmas provision buying. I am attempting to imagine receiving a cup of coffee, a meal, a joint of meat from Tesco Express or Waitrose (or even the far superior Roneys on Sharrow Vale Road) or a pint of beer gift wrapped on Christmas morning. :huh:

Food and drink is part of my Christmas, and I don’t think I’m alone. The joint of lamb I got from Roneys last year was superb, as was the wine from one of the off-licences (can’t remember which one). And for a lot of people shopping is an enjoyable experience, so here’s a thought – they might buy the coffee while they are shopping?

I trust that you will be happy with your house and car when you open your Christmas presents. :hihi:

Yeah ok - they’re unusual Christmas presents, but you asked ‘what can you buy’ in what I thought was a more general context.

Small businesses all over the city need your support this christmas, As well as Ecclesall Road, the shops in Broomhill also offer a wide variety of gifts and presents for all. For the first time this year many of the shops will be open for late night shopping in Broomhill on Wednesday 10th and 17th December. Please support your local traders, and maybe you will find presents that are a little bit different or more special than a three for two bargain from a multiple chain retailer. ( Before you ask : yes I am a trader in Broomhill, but I thought it was worth pointing out the late night shopping.)

Can you give me times for late opening this Wednesday; I could do with coming down to buy some Christmas things.

Love your shop pointy, I have some amazing jewellery from your shop, most days I where something of yours.

Went to do a bit of shopping on Ecclesall Road today; 80p for four hours parking. I am not moaning at that. It would have cost the two of us nearly ten pounds on the bus - laughable isn't it. I have never found it easier to park down here, there were lots of spaces on Sharrowvale Road today.

Hi there :hihi:

Broomhill late night shopping on Wednesday 10 & 17 Dec - many shops open till at least 7.30pm - shop for jewellery (come on guys, surprise her!) , christmas party outfits (including shoes and handbags to match), toys for your kids, and unusual thoughtful gifts for everyone else. Oh, and maybe some scrummy chocs for .... you!

Relax before, after, or during your shopping in the cafes, pubs and restaurants.

Oh, & before anyone says anything, yes I am a small business in Broomhill, but there are many lovely shops offering gifts that you won't find in the high street chain stores.

I know parking is a concern - but parking restrictions are relaxed after 4 pm - and i believe permit restrictions don't apply after 6.30pm .:D:):thumbsup:

Cheers Pippadoll!

Just re read you post. Say hi next time you're in Broomhill!

I have a shop on Ecclesall Road. I didn't vote for the parking scheme, and am having a meeting with the council about it in the new year. Thanks for your support - the shopkeepers from within the Sharrowvale Parking zone who collectively paid over £6 million pounds in rates last year are very appreciative.

So can you tell us whether there was any outcome of your meeting with the council about parking on Ecclesall Road or whether they had anything interesting to say?