Christmas Shopping - Ecclesall Road

Christmas Shopping on Ecclesall Road - Have *you* done it?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Christmas Shopping on Ecclesall Road - Have *you* done it?

• Yes and now I'm sorted for Christmas!
    • Not yet but its going on my list of things to do right now!
    • No I prefer playing sardines in Meadowhall...
    • Christmas Shopping?

It's that time of year again!

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of christmas shopping... I'd prefer to get it over and done with but I keep putting it off, in fact I've not even started!

If anyone's in the same position as me and they're not sure where to start, I suggest Ecclesall Road. There are more shops there than Meadowhall and many of them are unique to the area, not to mention all the fashion boutiques and plenty of general gift shops too.

Local businesses really need our support right now and besides that there's a huge variety of potential gifts to choose from on Ecclesall Road, see for yourself: http://www.discoverecclesall.co.uk - It was only after setting up this site that I realised just how many shops there were... (468 listed atm)

But if you're one of those highly organised people who's already done some christmas shopping in ecclesall and found something cool why not drop us slackers a hint so we can check it out :-)

...Please?

we did this the year before last - trying to buy all our presents from local independent shops, and we started on Eccy Road, and the one behind who's name always escapes me

Then we did Ridgeway Craft Centre, and some of the Christmas stalls in town

This year we're shopping online as much as possible - using the RainRescue EasyFunding link so that the rescue profits from our shopping without us having to pay more

As discussed before on here, I won't venture anywhere near Ecclesall Road now that the council's rip-off parking scheme has come into force. Strangely, your site makes no mention of that scheme.

Are the businesses along Ecclesall Road starting to struggle, I wonder? So much so that they've resorted to posting adverts thinly disguised as threads?

Small businesses all over the city need your support this christmas, As well as Ecclesall Road, the shops in Broomhill also offer a wide variety of gifts and presents for all. For the first time this year many of the shops will be open for late night shopping in Broomhill on Wednesday 10th and 17th December. Please support your local traders, and maybe you will find presents that are a little bit different or more special than a three for two bargain from a multiple chain retailer. ( Before you ask : yes I am a trader in Broomhill, but I thought it was worth pointing out the late night shopping.)

Ooh, now let me see, Broomhill. Could that be another area with a residents parking scheme?

Sorry, I don't want this to turn into another parking thread but I find it rather ironic that people in these areas vote in the parking schemes because they don't want people to come there and park, and now all of a sudden they are desperate for people to come and spend money in the shops.

So much so that they've resorted to posting adverts thinly disguised as threads?

I don't have any direct affiliation with the shops on ecclesall road. I wanted to post the link because it's a great site and if you need to know about any of the shops on Ecclesall Road... Dude it's the place to look!

I'm sorry you don't think that will benefit anyone on here trying to do their christmas shopping...

we did this the year before last - trying to buy all our presents from local independent shops, and we started on Eccy Road, and the one behind who's name always escapes me

Nice one, besides if you want a unique gift, go to a unique shop :-)

The road parallell to ecclesall road is Sharrowvale Road, there are a few chains but mostly it's local businesses.

I don't have any direct affiliation with the shops on ecclesall road. I wanted to post the link because it's a great site and if you need to know about any of the shops on Ecclesall Road... Dude it's the place to look!

I'm sorry you don't think that will benefit anyone on here trying to do their christmas shopping...

Such modesty! :hihi: No, fair enough, go ahead, I'm in a grumpy mood this morning!

Sorry, I don't want this to turn into another parking thread

We didn't mention parking, you did.

I'm not having a go, but I think you're right, there are better places to raise this issue.

Anyway, There's resonable public transport access to Ecclesall Road and Broomhill so what's the big deal?

Such modesty! :hihi: No, fair enough, go ahead, I'm in a grumpy mood this morning!

Ok, let's shake hands and put the pistols away hur hur...

...Soo anyway, you like metal?? :hihi: Oh darn, that's off-topic too!

Ooh, now let me see, Broomhill. Could that be another area with a residents parking scheme?

Sorry, I don't want this to turn into another parking thread but I find it rather ironic that people in these areas vote in the parking schemes because they don't want people to come there and park, and now all of a sudden they are desperate for people to come and spend money in the shops.

I have a shop on Ecclesall Road. I didn't vote for the parking scheme, and am having a meeting with the council about it in the new year. Thanks for your support - the shopkeepers from within the Sharrowvale Parking zone who collectively paid over £6 million pounds in rates last year are very appreciative.

I'm sure that Ecclesall Road is still a wonderful shopping area. I know I mentioned parking first, but that was only to explain why I don't go there any more. It's not so much the cost, it's the principle of the thing. Little Buzz, I know you think I'm being hard but why should I pay more money to the council to support your business when I can go somewhere else and not pay to park just as easily? It's the council you should be putting that question to.

Anyway I've said my bit: let that be the final word on the subject of parking.