Pcso's Or Proper Police

If the Government wants more Police on the Streets, and they can't afford to pay the obscene salaries of the "regular" Bobbies, they should employ more volunteer Special Constables, and make the recruitment process for the Specials easier to get more people to consider signing up who wouldn't normally even consider it, I'm considering it myself, in fact I have an application form from a recruitment presentation I attended about a month ago, just haven't filled it in yet as I have same problem as I had last time I applied and failed, I have little to no experience of dealing with anything to do with racial issues.

and they can't afford to pay the obscene salaries of the "regular" Bobbies

I should use that line during interview for the specials my friend, it will go down a treat.

However if you are unable to come up with any evidence for Race and Diversity, you may not have what it takes. "Diversity" doesnt just mean ethnic minorities, and "evidence" doesnt have to mean dealing with issues. Awareness can fulfill the criteria just as fully.

Obscene salaries eh Rich.

Pity they dont get the same wages as the professional footballers who can get fined £180,000 for saying something about the club they play for in a book they have written.

Obscene salaries for all the crap they have to put up with day after day.

Yes here comes the standard answer on here, if they joined the job they can expect the grief.

Unfortunately the crap and grief they do have to put up with is on the increase and as for the PCSO arguement, as I have said here on this Forum in the past, the PCSOfficer is the play on words this Labour Govnt have been running on for ages now.

The Labour party will say that they have placed lots of officers on the beat.

The emphasis being on the word OFFICER which is conveniently found within the title Police Community Support OFFICER so there you have all the extra OFFICERS the Labour party have put on the streets, not Police Officers but Officers none the less.

And just while we are on with the obscene salaries they get Rich, after the last round of pay deal arguements where the police were given virtually nothing have a look at how much the IPCC the police investigators got in their pay rise which was around the 6 per cent mark and with an annual increase over the next 3 years I believe.

Funny that, I thought that all the public bodies had had their pay deals kept down as a percentage pay rise and yet the IPCC which is also a public body gets the largest pay rise.

From that size of a pay rise, one can assume that this government has placed more value on members of the IPCC than they place on Police Officers, Nurses, Fire fighters.

Not only do the government also pay as you call it obscene salaries to our police, this government also are on record as accepting that they pay the wages of the police in Somalia because if we didnt, the country of Somalia would collapse.

It would appear to well beyond saving after the latest news items with all the Somlian based pirates hijacking anything that moves off the coast of Somalia.

It would appear that the investment in the Somalian police is working really well. !!!

Hows about that then for a waste of the rate payers money. !!!!!

Hasn't this subject been done to death on here before. Still, good to see all the old arguments from people again I suppose. No, the majority of PCSOs do not want to be bobbies, no, they don't earn more than police, yes they sometimes get overtime for weekends - if they've already done 37 hours in the week! Pretty standard that in most jobs I think. And if it's a choice between a PCSO on your street or nothing what would you prefer? Anyway all wasted words I know, blinkers on chaps, it's time to slag off peope for trying to contribute to their communities by people who are content to criticize from the comfort of their sofas again.....

no, they don't earn more than police, yes they sometimes get overtime for weekends - if they've already done 37 hours in the week! Pretty standard that in most jobs I think.

Some do get paid more than police, depends where each is on their respective scale.

As for overtime, you're right - most jobs your work over and you get overtime or if you come in on a day off......

But not police officers, they get cancelled weekly leave where basically the force can tell them they are working and can't claim anything back other than a day in leiu....and as you can imagine, some days are more valuble than others, esp those with families etc. So you can imagine how a bobby feels who has been forced into working football on a Saturday and it might be the only time he'll (or she'll) have with their kids all week and yet the PCSO's that are working will be getting paid overtime rate.

Obscene salaries eh Rich.

Pity they dont get the same wages as the professional footballers

If you can find a PCSO whom 75,000 people are willing to pay £30 each to go and watch him work, then that PCSO will deserve, and will get, at least as big a wage as any of Manchester United's footballers.

Pcso pay max circa 23/24k with all allowances, PC pay max circa 31/32k? So if it is advantage Pcso at some point it doesn't last long. As to weekend work bobbies sign up to a 24/7 emergency service job so probably expect a degree of unsocial hours, cancelled weekly leave football matches are still outnumbered by those where overtime is paid and as you say you get the Toil to use as you wish.

Like fining speeders for going 5mph over the limit:thumbsup:]

That's not really true. Only traffic officers can fine you for speeding because they are the only ones with the equipment on board to calculate your speed and the chances of them stopping you are slim because thier numbers have been slashed by half and replaced with speed cameras.

We are talking about beat bobbies who don't get involved with speeding issues unless you're driving like a complete prat then they will stop you and give you some stern advise.

I'm sure in the real world we'd probably all like to see more "real coppers" on the streets. However in the real world this isn't going to happen yet. If there were more then people would probably call it a police state.

The first comment...the thread starter thinks that PCSO's are failed cops...very untrue. Most haven't tried to get into the real police force straight away as they are fresh from uni or people getting back into work even changing careers.

PCSO's do have powers and they are shortly going to get more. Instead of knocking them we should be supporting them. The ones working in the Woodhouse SNA work really hard, are concientious and do a good job for our communities. Come on get behind them and give them a chance.

Why do PCSO's think they are the bees knees? I would much rather be dealt with by a proper copper at least you know where you stand.

I get the impression they have big egos and are actually failed candidates for the real police force.

Do we need them??

Opinions would be welcomed.

There just over paid security guards. just on the estates to harass the youth:loopy::loopy:

If you can find a PCSO whom 75,000 people are willing to pay £30 each to go and watch him work, then that PCSO will deserve, and will get, at least as big a wage as any of Manchester United's footballers.

I was actually talking about the comment made by Rich about the obscene salaries that the bobbies are paid nothing to do with watching a PCSO at a football match.

It was simply compared to what I think is an obscene salary, which many of the professional football community seem to be raking in at the top end of the leagues.

I think they're alright. The are very visible and I think that cuts down trouble. I do love the way the same people who demand 'more bobbys out on the beat' hate PCSOs.

Proper pigs are highly trained professionals and the whole point of being on the beat is keeping an eye out for trouble and defusing it. You don't need the full years of police training to do that.

And has it occured to anybody who slags them off that the time they spend on the beat frees up time for proper coppers to investigate more serious crimes? This government is ****e but I really think PCSOs are one of the good things they have done.